Big Finish novel Adaptions, New McCoy Theme.

News and Discussion of all things Dr Who
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Big Finish novel Adaptions, New McCoy Theme.

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

Anyone else heard this, and what are your thoughts...?

I like it a lot. You could imagine it being used, if Doctor Who had returned to tv in the 1990's, with McCoy and a bigger budget. It's very orchestral, not unlike the tvm theme.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Re: Big Finish novel Adaptions, New McCoy Theme.

Post by Blowfeld »

I like it! Almost appropriate for the War Doctor.

Most of the Big Finish Opening Themes I thought were really well done. I'm not familiar with the NA adaptations I will have to check them out. :cheers:
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

The only novel adaption which I have is Love And War. It is everything that one would expect the post series 26 7th Doctor to be like. Manipulative with a capitol 'M'. II never read the New Adventures, so I am looking forward to more Novel Adaptions later this (and into next) year.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

The 7th Dr stories especially the New Adventures really had a dark manipulative Doctor. Which in fairness was the direction the show was heading before the axe fell.
Some of the theories about his manipulativeness went as far as in fan theories at least the 7th Dr personality triggered prematurely regeneration doing away with Colin Bakers regeneration, he was just that manipulative, he saw the tide of things decided the current regeneration was not up to facing the challenges and viola! I don't believe it was ever published in any book and it really is not that good a theory.

In the show the 7th incarnation revealed how the Doctor was playing a longer game more purposeful than the early stories let on. Along with the TARDIS he stole some of the most powerful artefacts on Gallifrey, including the Library book from Shada. His first incarnation hiding them.

I never did care for the Ace's fate in the New Adventure series, time's vigilante. I did like his other companions in the book series, particularly Bernice.

As much as I enjoyed the New Adventures and Missing Adventures, I'm glad the show today can pick and choose the parts to adapt leaving some the sophomoric ideas behind.

Saying that now I can name a dozen little touches I liked a lot.

Althou I did like stuff like this
[spoil]
"Human Nature"
'A cat?' Greeneye leapt out of the dome, his hand reflexively grasping for the top of
his sword. 'A Gallifreyan creature!'
He was dressed in relaxed summer whites and
blazer, a pristine boater perched atop his newly cropped hair. The only strange
things about him now were the two swords still harnessed to his back.

'Would you please relax?' August emerged from the dome behind him, in a dapper
business suit. 'You're making me nervous.' He slapped a control on Greeneye's
harness and the swords vanished. '

We could only find test transmissions in the
radio spectrum, remember? The media scanner had to concentrate on how the
locals perceive their print culture. Unless they want to use it as an observatory, I
can't see what the Time Lords would want with somewhere as primitive as this.'

'But the cat - '

'There are lots of worlds with cats,' Hoff muttered. He was wearing the medals and
uniform of a Boer War veteran. 'Don't let it bother you.'
This;
Somewhere outside of time, in the white void. 'Who are you?' Timothy asked
Death.

Death glared at him. 'I'm the sister of Time and Pain and several more. We're the dreams of Time Lords. We leak out across the universe, and occasionally
somebody like the Timewyrm gives us form. Certain Time Lords, in their nightmares, or in states like you're in, make sordid little deals with us. We might
even take them on as our Champions. We make them pay a price.'

'Does that mean I'm dead?'

'Don't ask that too loudly. I'm waiting here for some- body particular. I don't have to deal with you. Do you know what a respiratory by-pass system is?'

'No.'

'That's all right then. You've just got one.'

Tim woke up and reached for his neck. He pulled the collar of his pyjamas aside
and found the red marks where the rope had bitten him.

'I'm alive!' he gasped. Then the gasp became a shout. 'I'm alive!'

Phipps was the first one to wake, smothering a scream with his bedclothes when he saw Timothy sitting up in bed.
The others ignited their bedside lamps, and, seeing the miracle that had occurred,
ran to surround the boy again.
'But you were dead!' Merryweather cried. 'You'd
stopped breathing, there was no pulse!'

'I died,' Timothy told him. 'And then I came back.'
And this;
He put his pen to paper and began to write.

The Old Man and the Police Box

Long ago, and far away, in the reign of Queen Victoria, there lived a silver-haired
old man, who had a very good idea. He had thought of a shelter for policemen,
with a telephone, so that anybody who was in trouble could call for help. And that
was clever; because nobody knew what a telephone was, back then.
Because there had to be a lot of room inside the shelter; the old man invented a
way to make a lot of space fit into it. Because the shelter had to be able to chase
criminals, he made it so it could disappear and then appear again somewhere else.
The old man was very clever; but very lonely, and so, before he told anybody else
about his invention, he used it to go exploring. He visited another world, a place
called Gallifrey.

There, he found a tribe of very primitive people.

Smith stared at the paper in annoyance. It had flowed out of him, but he couldn't
show it to her. Far too childish. Even for children. And where was it going? He
didn’t even have a plot. He'd sleep on it.

The tribe of Gallifrey thought that the inventor was a god, and started to worship
him, but then he told them not to.
'I have brought new ideas for you,' he said. 'I want to help you.'
And so he told them about travelling through time and space, and about the police.
He taught them how to build police boxes, and he taught them about law and books
and civilization.

The Gallifreyans eventually made a wonderful world for themselves, with towers
and cities, lords and ladies. The inventor watched over them and advised them on
how best to make their world as civilized and law-abiding as the England that he'd
left behind.

But as time went on, he became discontented with the place. The Gallifreyans had
taken his ideas far too much to heart, and they'd become boring and stuck-in-the-
mud. He invented a way for them to start another life when they died, and gave
them another heart, hoping that this would make them joyful and happy. But they
were just as dull, and now they lived longer. Worse than that, they no longer had
children, so there was nobody noisy around the place to ask questions.

Finally, he could take no more of it. He took one of the police boxes and headed
back to Earth. The Gallifreyans would chase him, he knew, because he'd broken
one of the laws that he'd invented.
But he'd decided that being free was better than being in charge.
Image[/spoil]
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer