Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Regeneration Day

Post by Blowfeld »

What are the opinions if last nights special and the regeneration?

Trying not to spoil it for those waiting to watch if I'll say it was better than the story used for the last regeneration.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Re: Regeneration Day

Post by FormerBondFan »

I enjoyed it even though I still have a lot of catching up to do starting from the 1st Doctor.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I liked it, though it seems to be attracting the usual "Worst. Episode. Ever." comments online.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Regeneration Day

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:I liked it, though it seems to be attracting the usual "Worst. Episode. Ever." comments online.

some of those bas***ds defend 'Love & Monsters' to this day, tend to ignore them.

To me it was a solid episode despite a few things. Finally get to see a regeneration play it out to the end of the life span, in 11's case was probably over 1000 years.

When I remember how RTD ruined the 10's send off I'm relieved this send off was limited to a snow globe planet and a town called 'Christmas'.

They also cleaned up the regeneration mess left by RTD and one life used to have a 'War Doctor' in this series. I'm sure the war doctor was only to enable the end of regeneration cycle story.

What do we think of the 12th-13ths first words and final punch line ?
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote: What do we think of the 12th-13ths first words and final punch line ?
Interesting. Was it just post-regeneration trauma, or did the new regeneration cycle come with a memory wipe?
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

I liked it, mostly. The regeneration itself was over a bit too quickly. Where was the close up/head shot?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:I liked it, mostly. The regeneration itself was over a bit too quickly. Where was the close up/head shot?
When The Doctor appeared in the TARDIS and you just saw his feet, I was hoping it meant that Capaldi would get a proper scene with Clara that would give us some idea of how he is going to play the character. Instead, we just got another fleeting moment of post-regeneration madness. Very disappointing.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Like you I was hoping the new Doctor was dressed and ready to travel. Instead we get a young 11th along with the required 'it will be me but won't be me' teary eyed speech.

I believe every regeneration except for maybe the War Doctor had some sort of regeneration trauma. Making it a cute gimmick for today's writers. Wonder if they are bring back the zero room?

In a few ways Time of the Doctor did what RTD failed to do in The End of Time. Bring Gallifrey back in a meaningful way, have a death prophecy that makes sense, explain some of the unknown story tie-ins, not have the wacko RTD Master convert every living soul into a clone of himself. Well maybe I hold a grudge over that last one.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote: I believe every regeneration except for maybe the War Doctor had some sort of regeneration trauma.
I never saw Pat Troughton's first story, I think it is one of the lost ones (though it could turn up at some point, the way The Web of Fear did), so I don't know if Two did or not. Certainly every Doctor from Three onward has. The first Doctor Who story I ever watched was Robot, and it was Tom's post-regeneration scenes that drew me in. My parents used to watch it during the Pertwee era, but I was never much interested. But the part where Tom emerges wearing different costumes mesmerised me for some reason (I was 7 at the time) and I have been a fan ever since.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Doctor Number 2 did suffer post regeneration trauma. He had trouble remembering his companions and what was toxic for them. Landed to refill the TARDIS mercury reserves. It's a lost Dalek story. Evil of the Daleks, power of the Daleks perhaps.

What did the 3rd doctor suffer from? the time lords killed the second forcing the 3rd I remember his first story sadly not in enough detail.

There is an interesting story about the time lords using the 2nd doctor for missions before the execution. It had a pre a Romana pairing of the doctor with a female time lord, in other words the writer copied the Romana story interaction. Cute part was they trick the doctor into the mission by cloaking another TARDIS like a police box. He runs in all excited plotting to ditch his assistant and disappear then is crest fallen when he enters the control room. :lol: he also had a fit when the new TARDIS cloaked itself properly declaring the TARDIS had left them or some such .
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I don't remember Spearhead From Space in massive detail, but I remember Three spent some time in hospital recuperating after his regeneration.