Divided fanbase?

News and Discussion of all things Dr Who
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Divided fanbase?

Post by FormerBondFan »

Is the DW fanbase that divided? I know many franchises have dissenting opinions within the fanbase.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Re: Divided fanbase?

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

11 Doctors, with each fan having their favourite. The DW fanbase is no different to any other.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Except Colin Baker is the devil ;)
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

What if there's a black Doctor? Or even a female Doctor? Are you open to that?
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Blowfeld wrote:Except Colin Baker is the devil ;)

No, that's Michael Grade. :D
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote:What if there's a black Doctor? Or even a female Doctor? Are you open to that?
A black Doctor, I don't see why not. The Doctor regenerates between incarnations, so it's not like a white character suddenly becoming black with no logical explanation, the way it would be if Idris Elba took over as Bond. Paterson Joseph was very nearly the Eleventh Doctor, and I think he would have done a great job. A woman, I'm not so sure. I think the male and female psyches are different, and it would fundamentally change the character to make the Doctor female. Whereas I think any differences between the way a black man and a white man think are mostly cultural, and don't really apply to an alien like the Doctor.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

In the World of James Bond, fickle fans often bashed the last actor playing Bond once the new actor take over, and the new Bond is considered the best. Does this happen with DW? Even Matt Smith is the current Doctor, there are plenty of fans still on David Tennent's side and consider him the best. I could be wrong.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote:In the World of James Bond, fickle fans often bashed the last actor playing Bond once the new actor take over, and the new Bond is considered the best. Does this happen with DW? Even Matt Smith is the current Doctor, there are plenty of fans still on David Tennent's side and consider him the best. I could be wrong.
Not really, no. Generally speaking, Who fans don't feel the need to bash the previous actor in order to praise the current one. Because David Tennant was so good in the role, I think Christopher Eccleston's popularity took a bit of a hit when he took over, but it was nothing like the Brosnan-bashing you get from Bond fans.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O

I've read that some fans stopped watching when Tennant left.

As for Brosnan bashing (which doesn't happen as much as his fans claim), back in the 1990's, Brosnan was made out to be the 2nd comming of Christ, while Dalton was made out to be the Plague. Now the boot is on the other foot, Brosnan fans know what it was like for Dalton fans in the 90's.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Unlike Bond fans, the majority of Who fans don't consider the first actor (William Hartnell) playing the lead to be best. They either consider the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker) or the 10th Doctor (David Tennant).
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:I've read that some fans stopped watching when Tennant left.
A few may have done, but ratings have been pretty consistent overall. There were some stories in the press about declining ratings, but this was due to a change in the way the ratings were counted, designed to more accurately reflect changes in viewing habits with the rise of PVRs etc. It affected all TV shows, not just Doctor Who.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

I don't think mr. Smith. Is all that great, better than some but no where in the league of Tom & David.

However I'm now used to the new comers overwhelming the feedback so even rubbish shows get high audience approval.

I believe Matt lost some audience , it's hard to quantify it when summer days and sporting events cut in to the time slot.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:I've read that some fans stopped watching when Tennant left.

As for Brosnan bashing (which doesn't happen as much as his fans claim), back in the 1990's, Brosnan was made out to be the 2nd comming of Christ, while Dalton was made out to be the Plague. Now the boot is on the other foot, Brosnan fans know what it was like for Dalton fans in the 90's.
Some differences the biggest is EON wasn't behind the name calling and smears to Pierce's name. Time helped to heal some if the dalton era wounds and most fans now considers him closer to Ian's 007 than not.

Far as Dr number 11 goes to me it's shocking that the minds behind some of the best new Who episodes (RTD era specifically ) have so many ho hum shows. I thing the Dr Wife was the first of this Doctors show I truly enjoyed and made me optimistic about the future . Sadly it didn't last, I'm trying not to be too hard on Steven yet RTD who I had problems with made some iconic show each series. Steven wrote most of the good RTD episodes, I had such hopes for him and he gives us average shows at best most Saturdays.

I did enjoy this yeas Christmas special.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I just watched the first 5 episodes of the revived series. Now I made myself feel at home with DW, and I don't know about you, but Billie Piper (Rose Tyler) almost reminds me Maryam d'Abo.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O

Blowfeld wrote:

Some differences the biggest is EON wasn't behind the name calling and smears to Pierce's name. Time helped to heal some if the dalton era wounds and most fans now considers him closer to Ian's 007 than not.

Far as Dr number 11 goes to me it's shocking that the minds behind some of the best new Who episodes (RTD era specifically ) have so many ho hum shows. I thing the Dr Wife was the first of this Doctors show I truly enjoyed and made me optimistic about the future . Sadly it didn't last, I'm trying not to be too hard on Steven yet RTD who I had problems with made some iconic show each series. Steven wrote most of the good RTD episodes, I had such hopes for him and he gives us average shows at best most Saturdays.

I did enjoy this yeas Christmas special.

I think Craig has had more negativity aimed at him than Brosnan ever has had. Not that i'm defending Craig (he is, afterall, my least favourite Bond). But while the tide may have turned against Brosnan, Craig has had it worse than Brosnan.

As for DW, I had my reservations about Smith when he was revealed as the new Doctor, but I think he's done a wonderful job, much better than his 2 immediate predecessors.
FormerBondFan wrote:I just watched the first 5 episodes of the revived series. Now I made myself feel at home with DW, and I don't know about you, but Billie Piper (Rose Tyler) almost reminds me Maryam d'Abo.
I don't see the resemblance. I can't stand Rose, and i'm baffled by the ammount of fans that still want her and the 10th Doctor, whom I also couldn't stand, to return. D'Abo has had an encounter with the Doctor, of the #7 variety.

Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:

I think Craig has had more negativity aimed at him than Brosnan ever has had. Not that i'm defending Craig (he is, afterall, my least favourite Bond). But while the tide may have turned against Brosnan, Craig has had it worse than Brosnan.
Daniel had a rough 4 months however he had the company itself trashing his predecessor and 40 years of history to defend the decision to hire Daniel. The Stunt team was trotted out during CR to tell the press Daniel sweats and Pierce perspired, i.e Daniel is a real man and Pierce is for those fey fans.
Dalton had bad timing as to refuse the job in privet, to then have Pierce take the job and lose it on everyones telly and be seen as Pierce's replacement, not the guy Cubby was after to play Bond since 1969. Some fans hated him passionately no doubt but it never was fuel by the company. Where as Daniel has now had over half a billion spent by Bond alone to promote him and only a hand full of critics brave enough to criticize him, so that is pretty much the same as it has been since Sir Roger Moore's day.
I'm a tad jaded about the reporter class being such lemmings.
Daltonite Toothpaste wrote: As for DW, I had my reservations about Smith when he was revealed as the new Doctor, but I think he's done a wonderful job, much better than his 2 immediate predecessors.
I liked David, to me he got the role. Christopher E. was a moody stand in who could not handle a job much older (sometimes drunk) men did for 40 years.
Personally I would have been more excited about Paul McGann coming back, he was great as the Doctor in his first and so far only outing and his audio dramas are wonderful. (Some give him a movie series about the Time War!)
MR Smith has not wowed me I'd have preferred Benedict Cumberbatch. But the show lacking are not his fault, Steven Moffat ws brilliant as a show writer seem to have lost his touch as a show producer.
Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:I just watched the first 5 episodes of the revived series. Now I made myself feel at home with DW, and I don't know about you, but Billie Piper (Rose Tyler) almost reminds me Maryam d'Abo.
I don't see the resemblance. I can't stand Rose, and i'm baffled by the ammount of fans that still want her and the 10th Doctor, whom I also couldn't stand, to return. D'Abo has had an encounter with the Doctor, of the #7 variety.

[/quote]
I wasn't a fan of Rose the whole school girl in love then
Spoiler
paring her and 10th Dr Clone off
, rubbish.

I'm not sure I have that audio drama. I used to have them all, quite a few were stolen :cuss: who burgles CDs anymore?
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I just finished Series 1 of the Revived Series. Somewhat flat in the later episodes, but the last episode is really good. Overall, I enjoy it. Now I'm going back to the beginning with An Earthly Child and go up to Paul McGann's then to David Tennant's.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

FormerBondFan wrote:I just finished Series 1 of the Revived Series. Somewhat flat in the later episodes, but the last episode is really good. Overall, I enjoy it. Now I'm going back to the beginning with An Earthly Child and go up to Paul McGann's then to David Tennant's.
You might consider enjoying the 10 th Dr. The early shows are not that spectacular and it's not complete since some shows are lost.
Besides the show kept evolving over the years it wasn't until years later much of the mythology popular today came in to existence
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

The House fandom was/is pretty cray cray. So are fans of some of the CW shows. Yikes. :shock:
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

I heard that FBF has been seen walking around in a cricket jumper and huge scarf. :twisted: