Where to watch Dr. Who online.

News and Discussion of all things Dr Who
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Where to watch Dr. Who online.

Post by FormerBondFan »

Do you guys know where to watch Dr. Who online? I have decided to join you guys in the Dr. Who fandom.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Where to watch Dr. Who online.

Post by Kristatos »

If you're on Facebook, there is a Doctor Who video on demand app with a small selection covering the entire 50-year history of the show, starting with the very first story, An Unearthly Child. Some are also available on Itunes.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Netflix and Amazon instant FBF.
I'd recommend sating with the 2005 series with Christopher Eccleston or the classic golden age 4th Doctor Tom Baker 1974 - 1981 ( Robot to Logopolis)
Some of the others especially the early doctors can be an acquired taste.

Let me know when you get to the show where you figure out who my avatar is :mrgreen: :cheers:
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I remember watching DW TV movie when it was first aired on FOX, and that was my first exposure to the DW franchise. As for where to start, I thought of starting with the first episode (back in '63).
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

FormerBondFan wrote:I remember watching DW TV movie when it was first aired on FOX, and that was my first exposure to the DW franchise. As for where to start, I thought of starting with the first episode (back in '63).
the 1996 TV Movie, with Paul McGAnn. Also featured Will Sasso.Image

I wouldn't start with the first, Unearthly Child, I'd go for Tom Baker or any of the new series stating in 2005, David Tennant (2006-2010) had a great run too. David is also in a SW Clone Wars show or two.

If you like the Tom baker shows I'd work backwards to Pertwee and go forward to try out Davidson through McCoy. The First and second Doctor can be harder to acclimatize to.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I'll watch McGann's again first then I'll start with Chris Eccleston up to Tennant's last appearance. After that, I'll go back to Unearthly Child then I will continue with Matt Smith.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

I've got a better suggestion, rather than watch DW online, go out and buy some of the DVD's and watch them on a tv. You could start with the very first story, Hartnell's An Unearthly Child, but not every story is available. So you're gonna have gaps right there.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Trying to buy every D VD gets expensive. I know because I've tried to collect them over the years. To someone just trying out Dr. Who I'd recommend checking out a few of the shows and maybe buying some after that. Besides the BBC gets all the money for Amazon streaming and Netflix, so it still helps Dr. Who.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I'm looking for websites to watch DW for free.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

When I started watching DW, I was buying all the DVDs as they were released, and a number of those released prior. When I felt I had a good idea of what each Doctor was like, I sold off all the DVDs featuring the Doctors I didn't like.

As Blowfeld said, it can be expensive, and when you can watch online for free, I can see why there's no compariosn there. But i'm a bit of a traditionalist, I don't go in for all this watching online stuff. It's the same with all these Kindle machine things. I still read books, and will continue to do so.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:When I started watching DW, I was buying all the DVDs as they were released, and a number of those released prior. When I felt I had a good idea of what each Doctor was like, I sold off all the DVDs featuring the Doctors I didn't like.
What do you think of the '96 TV movie?
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O

FormerBondFan wrote:
Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:When I started watching DW, I was buying all the DVDs as they were released, and a number of those released prior. When I felt I had a good idea of what each Doctor was like, I sold off all the DVDs featuring the Doctors I didn't like.
What do you think of the '96 TV movie?
I hated the idea they came up for the regeneration. I understand that they have only 90 minutes, but I would have rather them not both with the 7th Doctor if they couldn't think of a better way to send him off. McGann was an ok Doctor, I would not have been against him continuing in the role. Somone should have told Roberts to seriously dial back the campness. No offence to our cousins across the pond, but the TVM is exactly why Doctor Who should not be left in the hands of the USA.

Nice TARDIS interior though, I imagine that it was the 7th Doctor whom picked that theme. I just fits with the mysterious 7th Doctor of series 26.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote: I hated the idea they came up for the regeneration. I understand that they have only 90 minutes, but I would have rather them not both with the 7th Doctor if they couldn't think of a better way to send him off. McGann was an ok Doctor, I would not have been against him continuing in the role. Somone should have told Roberts to seriously dial back the campness. No offence to our cousins across the pond, but the TVM is exactly why Doctor Who should not be left in the hands of the USA.
I actually theought the regeneration scenes and Eric Roberts' performance were the best things in the movie. Most of it was just generic "race across the city trying to stop the ticking bomb" stuff, lacking the distinctive twist that made it a Doctor Who story. Lord knows, Doctor Who is not above pinching familiar plots, but it usually tries to put its own stamp on them.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Blowfeld.....what do you think of the '96 DW TV movie?
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

FormerBondFan wrote:Blowfeld.....what do you think of the '96 DW TV movie?
I agree about some of the criticisms. However.......;

Paul McGann was brilliant, I wish the 2005 series had come back with him then regenerated into David. Instead they alluded Christopher's incarnation being a recent regeneration meaning the eighth Doctor died off screen in the aftermath of what we would later learn was the Time War.

TARDIS interior was brilliant, first time I thought the Doctor would be at home in the TARDIS, it also fitted the Seventh Doctor and in a way Time Lords in general (high technology looking like Victorian era fixtures).

Nice to see Syl Doc not dressed in JNT era clothing.

The way the Tv Movie handled a few years in the future was better then had been done by most shows and Doctor Who at this point.

Eric Robert didn't bother me as the Master, nor the use of the eye of harmony and stealing of lives.

Some of the major complaint about the Doctor Kissing a girl where were these fellows in 2005-2012. It was a needed change since the Doctor was a asexual character but not a homosexual one. Adam Adamant can only go so far in today world.

Amnesiac Doctor worked well to re-establish the character with those who had not seen the show in a long time/before, return of the sonic screw driver and TARDIS repair kit were great. TARDIS sucking in the world through the eye of harmony, um, more outrageous plot points have been done recently but that's not really a great defence..

Chase though town OK I'll agree it was useless. TARDIS liking certain people was good. Eye of Harmony being opened by human eye and the Doctor being half human didn't upset me (he is Merlin after all).
I always thought Time Lords had a special affection for Humans and maybe Lord Rassilon (not played by Timothy Dalton ;) ) or the other founding Time Lords may have come across Human early in their travels. It does suggest wherever TARDISES were grown Humans were part of building them.
The Eye Of Harmony doesn't matter since the new series the Doctor is essentially off the grid. The new series does imply other Time Lords or all of them during the Time War started fuelling their TARDIS on rift energy.

Use of the planet Skaro had some in a fit as well, but it was used in this years series as well. The more the TV series goes on the more it validates the TV Movie Enemy Within. The last Seventh Doctor series and the TV Movie get a lot of grief however the more the series modernises the more these Doctor Who adventures seem to be cutting edge.

I agree there are problem with the TV Movie but after watching the Doctor
Spoiler
be shrunk, aged and put in cage to have it one undone in 3 minutes with the power of belief, from a girl who was not particularly believable as enamoured with the Doctor (Martha no, Rose yes). And RTD take the Time Lords for heroes to villains willing to destroy the world so they can survive ascending into thought
. I'm more forgiving of the TV Movies failings.

FBF honestly I could go on for days.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Stupid question but how would you react if Matt Smith's Doctor regenerated into Will Sasso's Doctor? :mrgreen: :lol:
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I just watched the first episode of the 2005 series. Definitely better than the '96 TV movie.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Hey FBF, I've just been looking through Hulu, and they have a whole load of Classic Who on there (over 300 episodes) available free, going all the way back to the Hartnell era.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Does Netflix have Classic Who?

I'm anxious about the new series. Hopefully the new older Doctor keeps the ratings I'd hate for the BBC to decide Doctor Who is a young mans game only.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

My bad, the Hulu episodes aren't free, you need a Hulu Plus subscription. Don't know about Netflix.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2