A Christmas Carol

News and Discussion of all things Dr Who
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

A Christmas Carol

Post by Kristatos »

Not the greatest Who ever, but a big improvement on last year's Christmas two-parter, and I definitely "had something in my eye" at the end. In a way, I'm glad Moffatt didn't
Spoiler
pull another rabbit out of the "everybody lives" hat
. i think it would have cheapened it somewhat if he had.

Enjoyed The One Ronnie beforehand as well. Ronnie Corbett still looks pretty spry for 80, and the show was surprisingly funny. He managed to get some top talent, both writing and co-starring (Ben Elton, Matt Lucas & David Walliams, Rob Brydon, Harry Enfield), a bit like the early days of The Two Ronnies, when the Pythons and Spike Milligan could be found in the writing credits. (edit: Oh yeah, and there was a Bond connection too. One sketch featured Corbett as an explorer named Sir Hilary Bray).
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Re: A Christmas Carol

Post by Blowfeld »

I was going to argue that the Next Doctor was a decent effort then I remembered The End of Time rubbish was last years 'special'.
I didn't mind
Spoiler
the flying fish
that is what Doctor Who does. I minded them not finishing telling the story, the very same problem the last series had. Why couldn't he land the TARDIS and save all 4000 people? In the last few years we've seen him pull space ships out of a black hole with the TARDIS.
Spoiler
The counter on the front of the casket bothered me as did the 'why' of freezing people in the first place. How did the dying shark end up in the sealed freezer area? Nice effect and nice touch being saved be the frozen girl who sings like a dream
Moffatt basically re-purposed a short story he wrote featuring the 7th Doctor for Decalog 3: Consequences to good effect here. The short story was better in my opinion however my worst fears about 'a Doctor Who Christmas Carol' were not realized. Impressive how they pulled most of it off.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
katied

Post by katied »

I really liked it. It aired on BBC America yesterday.At the end they had a teaser for the next season of Doctor Who.I'm excited!
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

I am going over Series 5 again this time on DVD. Not as pleased with some of the shows as I was when I first saw them. I had thought knowing the over all arc of the series would be a difference maker.. The in between episode scenes so far are interesting.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer