Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Dr Who creator wanted to regenerate TimeLord into TimeLady

Post by Blowfeld »

Joanna Lumley plays a female Doctor in the classic spoof Doctor Who and the Curse of the Fatal Death, but if Doctor Who's creator had gotten his way, she might have taken on the role for real, replacing Colin Baker.

When Doctor Who was struggling in the mid-1980s, during the infamous Colin Baker era, the BBC's Michael Grade approached the show's original creator, Sydney Newman, for advice on how to rescue the show from its doldrums. (Newman called mid-1980s Doctor Who "largely socially valueless, escapist schlock," a judgment it's hard to disagree with.) And in a newly uncovered letter, Newman told Grade that there was only one way to fix the show. He offered a two-stage plan:

1) Bring back Patrick Troughton, the former Doctor from the 1960s, temporarily, to help steady the TARDIS for a bit, and prepare the way for a more radical transformation. (The letter is dated Oct. 6, 1986, just about six months before Troughton's death.)

2) Have the Doctor later regenerate into a woman. Possible candidates included Frances de la Tour, Joanna Lumley and Dawn French. (Actually, I'm not sure if Newman suggested these actors, or this was just fan speculation.) And this new female Doctor should travel around accompanied by a trumpet-playing schoolgirl in John Lennon glasses, and her elder brother, a "yobbo" who sprays graffiti everywhere.

But he was concerned that a female Doctor shouldn't be too perfect. He wrote to Grade: "I want to avoid a flashy, Hollywood Wonder Women because this kind of heroine with no flaws is a bore. Given more time than I have now, I can create such a character." In return for his advice on how to fix the show, he wanted to be brought back as a kind of "Executive Director" to implement these ideas, and he wanted a permanent listing on the show's end credits. But Grade spurned Newman's advice, and instead turned Colin Baker's Doctor into Sylvester McCoy. [Telegraph]
http://io9.com/5660628/doctor-whos-crea ... -the-1980s
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Dr Who creator wanted to regenerate TimeLord into TimeLady

Post by Kristatos »

But Grade spurned Newman's advice
Probably the only good decision he ever made regarding Doctor Who.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig