Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

As drunk as a Time Lord!

Post by Blowfeld »

As drunk as a Time Lord! How Doctor Who became Doctor Booze, by young co-star
He was the longest-serving and most iconic Time Lord ever to set foot inside the Tardis. But now Tom Baker, who played Doctor Who for seven years, has been branded a ranting, boorish drunk by one of his co-stars.

Matthew Waterhouse, who played the Doctor’s faithful companion Adric, makes the allegations in a warts-and-all biography which sheds an unwelcome light on the smash hit BBC series.

Recalling his first meeting with Baker, who played the Doctor between 1974 and 1981, Waterhouse writes: ‘Suddenly [he] turned to me and barked, “Why don’t you p*** off?”

‘I was baffled and upset and determined that things would be better by tomorrow.’

But, according to his book Blue Box Boy, things quickly went from bad to worse.

Waterhouse recalls how chain-smoking Baker would arrive late and dishevelled from lunchtime drinking sessions and refuse to deliver any of the scripted lines.

He writes: ‘By five, there were big oval sweat rings under the arms of Tom’s thin white shirt.

‘Oddly, the more temperamental and nightmarish he had been that day the larger the rings of sweat, as if his own dreadfulness had made him perspire – a weirdly appealing failing.’

According to Waterhouse’s book, nobody escaped Baker’s wrath. He once launched a tirade against scriptwriters who wondered how a scene would be perceived by adult viewers. Baker is reported to have said: ‘I can’t ****ing stand adults. I only give a s*** about the children. Adults can **** off.’

Even Lalla Ward, who played Lady Romana and later married Baker, was upset by his on-set antics. ‘‘Dreadful man,” Lalla whined. “I don’t know what’s gone wrong”. She looked teary. I wanted to cry too, from embarrassment.’ But Baker’s dedication to the show’s young fans was such that he even refused to turn one away when he was worse for wear.

Waterhouse, now 48, writes: ‘Tom once told me a story about throwing up in a car park. Halfway through, a little boy came up to him and said “Are you Doctor Who?” “Hang on a moment,” said Tom. He then pulled, from the inside pocket of his rain-splashed raincoat, a photograph of himself which he inscribed for the child, who walked away blissfully happy.’

Waterhouse believes drink may have contributed to the star’s odd demeanour on an edition of the BBC’s magazine show Nationwide. ‘He leant against the Tardis, which appeared to be propping him up.’ According to Waterhouse, who was just 18 when he took on the role, Baker was not the only BBC employee fond of a drink.

‘It was a joke that TV Centre was circular because its staff were too drunk to walk straight.’

Michael Emptage, Baker’s agent, said: ‘Tom is a well-respected and popular actor and I don’t think we would want to comment on this.’

A BBC spokesman also declined to comment on the allegations.
Tom always spot on, I would have told Adric to piss off too
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: As drunk as a Time Lord!

Post by Kristatos »

I have heard stories about Tom's drinking before, but other people say that even at his worst, he was able to snap into character in an instant if one of his young fans approached him.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Did you ever see the dead ringers with Tom Baker calling Sylvester McCoy from a pub?

Back in the eighties one of our cousins went to one of those conventions in America. He met Tom baker and was terribly put off by him. I don't remember the whole story any more but Tom was drunk, he didn't want to be there and nobody enjoyed being around him. Almost certain this was after Peter took over but before his shows aired in the States. Interestingly some minor companions were great with the fans, even hung over. I want to say he met Tegan (what's her name Fielding?), she was hung over wearing big oversized glasses however she hit it off with the fans, taking pictures, answering questions, the whole ball of wax. A little surprised since I could not stand her, give me Sarah Sutton any day. ;)

About this tell all malarkey Matthew Waterhouse is a fine one to talk, a DVD special feature has the story of him lecturing an accomplished veteran actor how to act for TV. Priceless :mrgreen:
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I met Sarah Sutton at a convention once. She was very nice and seemed to enjoy meeting the fans.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

[video][/video]
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

To be fair to Tom, fans often do behave appallingly at conventions, and the bigger you are, the more they think they own you. Alan Moore has a reputation as a recluse, but I remember him being quite gregarious in the '80s. It was only after Watchmen came out that the scenes started to look like something out of A Hard Day's Night - he literally couldn't take a leak without being pestered by fans. I don't blame him for quitting conventions. It's probably the same story with Tom. I've heard stories of him being surrounded by fans shouting "Take me with you!" I don't think I'd enjoy that much either!