Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Torchwood International!

Post by Blowfeld »

Monday, June 07, 2010 - Posted by Chuck Foster
TorchwoodThe BBC have announced that a new series of Torchwood will be produced by the BBC Wales, BBC Worldwide, and US network Starz Entertainment.

The series will see John Barrowman and Eve Myles reprise their roles of Captain Jack Harkness and Gwen, and will comprise of ten episodes overseen by series creator Russell T Davies. Other former cast members (like Gwen's husband Rhys played by Kai Owen) have yet to be confirmed, but new faces will appear in the team, with adventures taking place around the world.

Says Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning:
We have a long history of working with many U.S. networks but it is incredibly exciting to be working with Starz for the first time, as well as to be reunited with the best of British in Russell, Jane and Julie. Torchwood will burst back onto the screen with a shocking and moving story with global stakes and locations that will make it feel bigger and bolder than e
ver.

Jane Tranter, EVP, BBC Worldwide Productions:
Torchwood has attracted remarkable attention and loyalty in both the UK and U.S., and in this new partnership with Starz, the next chapter will not only reward our current fans, but also introduce new viewers to the most impressive instalment yet.
Chris Albrecht, LLC, President and CEO of Starz:
We're committed to programming exceptional television that is entertaining, imaginative and provides a premium TV experience, and by any measure the new concept for Torchwood fits that mandate. I've been part of successful partnerships with Jane Tranter and the BBC previously, and I'm very much looking forward to working with them again.
In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Albrecht added:
It was too good an opportunity to pass up. Each season of the show, the show has evolved and "The Children of Earth" was terrific as evident in it was just named a Television Critics Press Awards nominee. I'm interested in doing sci-fi and what I like a lot about "Torchwood" is it's a very classic sci-fi entry. It's all about the story, it's not about big effects. I thought "Children of Earth" evolved the franchise to a place where it could continue to evolve on pay TV with an American partner that could bring more production resources.

At the end of "Children of Earth" Torchwood was destroyed, so when we pick up in our world the need for Torchwood arises again. A lot of this story takes place in the U.S. as well with several characters that are in the U.S. intelligence forces and end up teaming up with Gwen and Captain Jack to deal with the situation at hand.
The Hollywood Reporter also spoke to Russell T Davies:
It's very much the next step. It's not a new version, it's not a reboot. We're simply moving countries. The show was previously a format show -- monster of the week. The breakthrough was "Children of Earth" and that it became one long story. It's not going to be 'Lost' and take 20 years to find out what's going on. It's going to have a most remarkable conclusion after 10 episodes.

We're simply going to tell a good story. I wrote the pilot 7 months ago irregardless of network. BBC1 is a prime-time channel, but a brave channel. I don't worry about content.
No date for production and eventual broadcast for the series has been announced, though some media sources have suggested it premiering during Summer 2011.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Re: Torchwood International!

Post by Blowfeld »

Torchwood creator Russell T Davies has been talking to BBC News about the new series now in preperation.

He confirmed that part of the series will be filmed in Wales and that John Barrowman will be joined by a mix of British and American cast members. Part of the plot will deal with culture differences between team members.

When asked about the current series of Doctor Who, Davies said he loves the new series, he described Matt Smith and Karen Gillan as part of a glorious age, and said he wished there were twenty episodes a year.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Torchwood: The New World
Saturday, August 07, 2010 - Posted by Josiah Rowe
TorchwoodNews sources at the Television Critics Association (TCA) Press Tour are reporting that the forthcoming fourth series of Torchwood will carry the title Torchwood: The New World. A post from The Hollywood Reporter gives details of the series' new characters and quotes from Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner:
The new story will follow a CIA agent (Rex) and analyst (Ester) who tackle an alien-related global issue. Torchwood, having been destroyed and disbanded, is "like a legend now ... it's like something that's ceased to exist and is now spoken of only in whispers." Soon, Rex and Ester are on the run and are seeking out the help of Captain Jack and Gwen.

"The two teams coming together is a big part of the story -- are they friends or enemies? There's a lot of sparks and excitement."

"We definitely have a really big story to tell," added executive producer Julie Gardner. "It's absolutely rebooted to welcome in a new audience." ....

The ten episodes will be very fast paced, telling a self-contained story with the miniseries "Children of Earth" being used as a template.

Being on Starz, the show could potentially take advantage of looser standards for nudity and violence.

"I've always had loose standards and practices," Davies said. "If the story demands intimacy or savagery, we will go there absolutely ... [but] there's nothing better than a great big global thriller that stops for a sex scene -- it's probably hard to make that happen in a thriller."
The report also contains images of teaser posters which were seen at TCA; the images appear to be previously existing photos of John Barrowman and Eve Myles, with the legend "Torchwood: The New World, Coming Summer 2011."

USA Today also has details on the series' tone, and more quotes from Davies:
The team has left Wales for America, as creator Russell T. Davies has left Britain for Los Angeles. The case will tie the two remaining Torchwood members (Jack and Eve Myles's Gwen) to the CIA, and will expand into a world-wide threat. And yet, says Davies, it "will be faithful" to the BBC original.

Davies says this story, which "had been ticking away in my mind for a long while," had not been planned as a Torchwood story at all. "And suddenly I thought, there's a popular show, there's a great story, let's put them together...It felt like it definitely could move forward and become new again."

Though it will be newer and bigger, the tone won't change, says Davies. Barrowman's Jack will still be TV's only bi-sexual hero, character will still be stressed, and humor will still play a large part in the show's make-up.

"I sit there in the editing room saying 'Don't cut that joke! Cut the plot, cut the murder, cut the story, but don't cut the joke.'...It will always be a cheeky show."
CaptainLewis
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye
O.H.M.S.S.
Favorite Movies: Alien & Aliens
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

Did anyone else watch the new episode. Bar the CGI bits, I thought it was good. I must say Gwen has a quiet baby, I don’t think it made a noise when the RPG blew up their house and during the car chase.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

CaptainLewis wrote:Did anyone else watch the new episode. Bar the CGI bits, I thought it was good. I must say Gwen has a quiet baby, I don’t think it made a noise when the RPG blew up their house and during the car chase.
I could have done without the whole "cutting off the head to see what happens" scene, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

It was an alright episode, I think this is the gradual build up, and it will hit its stride in one or two episodes. That said I don't think the general public would be willing to forgive a convicted paedophile, just like that.
CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

I thought it was an alright episode. Am I alone in thinking that Torchwood is starting to lose its unique identity? It seems really different from the first three series.