Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Claire Bloom 'to star as mother of Doctor Who'

Post by Blowfeld »

Claire Bloom 'to star as mother of Doctor Who'
Claire Bloom, the Hollywood actress discovered by Charlie Chaplin, is to play the mother of Doctor Who in the BBC sci-fi series, it has been reported.
Claire Bloom will appear next year alongside David Tennant, in his final outing as Doctor Who
Bloom, who has starred with and romanced some of Hollywood's greatest actors in a 60-year career, will appear next year alongside David Tennant, in his final outing as the Doctor.

"It is happening. They are filming at the moment. I have been organising her schedule," her manager in America, Marion Rosenberg, is reported to have told the Daily Mail.

Bloom, 78, who lives alone in Fulham, north London, rose to prominence after being chosen by Charlie Chaplin to appear in his film Limelight in 1952. She is said to be excited by her new role.

A friend of the actress told the newspaper: "The script is a very closely guarded secret, as the producers are desperate for Claire's appearance to be a surprise."

Bloom is well known for playing Blanche DuBois in A Streetcar Named Desire in both London and New York. She desribed the role as her favourite.

She had a relationship with Richard Burton after they appeared together in Hamlet, Look Back In Anger and in the film The Spy Who Came In From The Cold.

She was married three times, first to the actor Rod Steiger, next to the producer Hillard Elkins and finally to the novelist Philip Roth.

A BBC spokesman declined to comment.

Story can be found at:Telegraph UK:Claire Bloom 'to star as mother of Doctor Who'
The Doctor's Mum? :shock:
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Claire Bloom 'to star as mother of Doctor Who'

Post by Kristatos »

Hmm, could they be adapting the novel Lungbarrow?
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Lungbarrow was reworked for Ghost Light in McCoy's last season.

In Lungbarrow the House is full of crazed Doctor relations. Save for his parents because at least in the first printing Lungbarrow (Marc Platt rewrote part of the story for a BBC on-line edition) The Doctor was from a genetic loom, possibly a recombination slash reincarnation of the mysterious Other of Gallifreyian myth. Doctor birthed from a genetic loom falls in line with the 4th Doctor response to 'what's your sign'. Althou the TV Movie introduced the half human on his mothers side which fell in line with the Doctor is Merlin story arc in the McCoy era.

Various other books have wavered back and forth. Some have the genetic looms and Gallifreyian were 'born' fully formed as adults with no bellybuttons, then to 'born' as children adjusting to accommodate the Master's child self in the new series.
The most recent books after the TV Movie have a parentage for the Doctor. Althou it is never touched on in depth, nothing more than hinted at.

My favourite is the Doctor's mother was one of the Sisterhood of Karn. Admittedly that's fanwank me and some mates came up with years back.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

There is a great scene in Lungbarrrow where the Doctor is dying and refuses to regenerate. Romana pounding on his chest. I would love for this to be adapted for the 10th Doctor's regeneration
'Oh, the past. The past is dead and buried. I'll never know now.' A look of despair thundered across his face. 'And the future? I couldn't see beyond my seventh regeneration. The original Eighth Man Bound. Perhaps I have no future to see...'

His eyes closed.

'He's working himself into a premorphic trauma,' said Romana across him. 'Unless we do something drastic, he may deny himself regeneration.'

Dorothée leant forward. 'Doctor, if you're not part of the Family - '

'No,' interrupted Leela. 'You cannot ask him that.'

'I'm me now,' he whispered. 'What good is that...?'

'But who were you?' said Dorothée.

The Doctor's words were drifting away. 'Too many thoughts. Can't think any more... Sorry.'

'He's hardly breathing,' said Leela.

There was a movement at the door. A woman with short brown hair was leaning weakly against the frame. She wore a plain white shift and was dragging a rust-coloured dress behind her. 'If he's to live, we must unlock his mind.'

She walked unsteadily into the room.

Dorothée stared at her. 'Who are you?'

The woman held up the dress. 'His Cousin,' she said.

Leela scrambled up. 'Innocet? What happened? Have you regenerated? You must rest.'

The woman nodded wearily. She was shorter and her face fuller than the old Innocet. 'Don't be concerned for me. We must help him.'

'Romanadvoratrelundar,' said Romana, awkwardly offering a hand. 'Please come and sit down. Are you sure you're up to this?'

Innocet closed her eyes. 'The more support, the better. Now, please sit in a circle.'

They sat and linked hands, circling the Doctor.

Innocet took a deep breath and began muttering to herself.

Behind them, Chris clutched his head. 'I am the Doctor. I am. I am. I am!' He pulled off his boot and threw it across the room.

The companions glanced warily from one to another.

Innocet's head went back. Her eyes were white, the colour of looking inward.

'Why did you leave us?' Her voice resonated through her fingers, into their heads, making the circle one. 'Where have you been? Who are you?'

'Vultures!' shouted the Doctor. His body arched as if something was being torn out of him. He slumped back and lay still.

'Can't catch me,' whispered Chris.

Innocet shuddered and sat back. The circle was broken.

'He's gone,' she said, her voice trembling. 'There's nothing. His mind is dark. I was too late.'

Lungbarrow chapter 29
Romana brought two fists down on the Doctor's chest, but his inert body absorbed the blows without reacting.

'Still no sign of regeneration,' she said as if she was being deliberately insulted.

The House was rumbling a commentary of its own.

The new woman called Innocet repeatedly waved a green bottle under his nose. He gave not so much as a twitch.

She shook her head. 'It's as if he's cut himself free.'

Leela picked at an amulet on her necklace.

Lungbarrow Chapter 30
Back. Back...

'Doctor?' 'Doctor?' 'Doctor?' called by so many different voices.

He is lying in the TARDIS, outraged that he could do such a thing to himself.

He is lying in the TARDIS. Nausea overcomes him. The Queen bat was ancient and almost dry...

He is lying under a tower of steel. It feels as if his neck is broken, but such moments are prepared for.

He is lying on a laboratory floor. The TARDIS brought him home. Home? Do you call this home?

He is spinning in the darkness. But it's not a death sentence, oh no. The Time Lords are just confiscating one of his lives.

He is lying in the TARDIS. All that work has left him a bit worn out. Never mind, we'll see where this leads, hmm? Come along, come along.

'Seven lives,' whispered Innocet. 'This is his seventh life.'

Lungbarrow Chapter 30
Story can be found at: BBC Lungbarrow
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Claire Bloom to play Doctor Who's mum

Post by Blowfeld »

Exclusive: Claire Bloom to play Doctor Who's mum for David Tennant's swansong as the Time Lord
Doctor Who David Tennant is to bow out showing his human side... by appearing on screen with his MUM.

And the woman chosen for the role is one of Hollywood's most famous British screen veterans, actress Claire Bloom.

Bloom, 78, plucked from obscurity by Charlie Chaplin to star in his film Limelight when she was just 21, is filming amid tight security on a closed set in Cardiff.

One show insider revealed:" It's all very hush hush. She'll turn up in David Tennant's swansong, it's going to be emotional."

Actress Bloom has romanced some of Hollywood's greatest stars. Her conquests include Richard Burton, Laurence Olivier, Yul Brynner and Anthony Quinn. But her three marriages to actor Rod Steiger, producer Hillard Elkins and novelist Philip Roth all ended in grief. She now lives alone in Fulham, South West London.

Bloom will appear in the last of the four specials being filmed for the BBC1 show this year, likely to be screened in the New Year. Fans are unsure whether discovering the Doctor has a mum is a good idea but admit it's plausible because he is half-Time Lord and half-human.

One said:" Overly humanising the Doctor risks some of his alien mystique."

In the first Doctor Who series, starring William Hartnell, the Time Lord travelled with his grand-daughter.

And last year an episode called The Doctor's Daughter introduced his off-spring.
This story can be found at:Mirror.co.uk
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Claire Bloom to play Doctor Who's mum

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:And last year an episode called The Doctor's Daughter introduced his off-spring.
Sounds like the reporter didn't actually watch the episode. Ho-hum.
CaptainLewis
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye
O.H.M.S.S.
Favorite Movies: Alien & Aliens
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

Do you think they will refer to the Dr. Who movie about her being human?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

CaptainLewis wrote:Do you think they will refer to the Dr. Who movie about her being human?
THOSE WORDS ARE BLASPHEMY! DO NOT BLASPHEME! DO NOT BLASPHEME!