Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Re: Eleventh Doctor

Post by Blowfeld »

So much for that. The stories are getting weaker :( what a waste.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:So much for that. The stories are getting weaker :( what a waste.
Actually, there was a lot I liked about Victory of the Daleks. The redesigned Daleks, the Doctor's friendship with Winston Churchill, the aerial dogfight between the Spitfires and the Dalek ship. The only thing that made me go "huh" was the
Spoiler
defusing of Bracewell by making him think of the woman he loved
. Well, that and the fact that no-one seemed to notice that Amy's clothes weren't exactly appropriate for wartime London. I know that's in character for her, but surely someone would have remarked on it?
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

My new Facebook profile pic:

Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

I found the Dalek episode weak tea. Some nice aspects to it, Churchill, spitfires, new Technicolour Daleks. However once again it felt like Moffat left out some important parts of the story and embellished others that he does not bother to explain.

One thing I thought was very spot on was The Doctor's reaction to the Daleks and how he felt about not finishing him off. A wonderful departure from RTDs take on the aftermath of the Time War. In some ways I could imagine Paul McGann's Doctor behaving much like Matt Smiths, so that part of Matt's portrayal is settling in for me.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:I found the Dalek episode weak tea. Some nice aspects to it, Churchill, spitfires, new Technicolour Daleks. However once again it felt like Moffat left out some important parts of the story and embellished others that he does not bother to explain.
Mark Gatiss wrote the script, not Moffat. I don't think any explanation of
Spoiler
"defusing a bomb with love"
could have made it better. Other than that, the only complaint I have is that we didn't get enough of the manipulative Daleks and the Doctor's increasing sense of panic in the first act. Once the Doctor gave his "testimony", it turned into a standard Dalek story PDQ, albeit a better one than Daleks in Manhattan. I would have liked to see more of the DW version of a paranoid thriller.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

True however Moffat is in charge and a script submitted may be one thing then edited down for time or to fit a narrative & story arc.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:True however Moffat is in charge and a script submitted may be one thing then edited down for time or to fit a narrative & story arc.
Yeah, it might have worked better in the old 4*25-minute format used for most of the Classic Series' run. The Testimony would have formed the episode 1 cliffhanger, though even then, there may have been that feeling of a story with a terrific episode 1 failing to sustain its momentum for the rest of the story, a la The Android Invasion.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

What is wrong with the BBC?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:Image
What is wrong with the BBC?
There were a lot of complaints about that cartoon of well-known friend of Dorothy Graham Norton being superimposed onto the screen like that.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The BBC has now apologised.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:The BBC has now apologised.
Good. They know how important Dr Who is I can't fathom why they would allow a distracting pop-up advert in the shows last few movements.

Althou I am abstaining from last weeks show until I have part 2, so far I feel disappointed after a good season opener.
CaptainLewis
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye
O.H.M.S.S.
Favorite Movies: Alien & Aliens
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

I thought today's epiode was O.K. (I was unable to see last weeks episode, so I can't judge it fully), it was good to see River Song again.
Spoiler
I think the fairytale bit River Song mentioned at the end is now the new Bad Wolf
Next week looks good.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Yeah, it's been a good two-parter, though part 2 wasn't quite as good as part 1. Then again, it would be hard for anything to live up to that genuinely thrilling pre-credits sequence last week.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

No one enjoys onscreen dogs and pop ups, but accept them. But this one

was ridiculous. :shock:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Does that look Bond to you guys?
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Does that look Bond to you guys?
No. David did.
Not the photo I wanted but you get the idea.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

CaptainLewis wrote:I thought today's epiode was O.K. (I was unable to see last weeks episode, so I can't judge it fully), it was good to see River Song again.
Spoiler
I think the fairytale bit River Song mentioned at the end is now the new Bad Wolf
Next week looks good.
I am not sold on new series. Althou I am enjoying it so far something is lacking.

Who is River Song
Spoiler
Rani? Romana?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:True however Moffat is in charge and a script submitted may be one thing then edited down for time or to fit a narrative & story arc.
Vampires in Venice was even more disjointed. It reminded me of one of those condensed repeats from my childhood where a story that originally lasted 100 (The Ark in Space) or 150 minutes (Genesis of the Daleks) was edited to fit a 75-minute timeslot.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:
Vampires in Venice was even more disjointed. It reminded me of one of those condensed repeats from my childhood where a story that originally lasted 100 (The Ark in Space) or 150 minutes (Genesis of the Daleks) was edited to fit a 75-minute timeslot.
It does feel like there are scenes missing from the show.
I am lost at what is happening with theses shows. They have a brilliant team put together, even reusing successful ideas from shows Moffat was involved with when RTD was shepherding the series. Still something is lacking, could it be Matt? I think the shows with David might have been more solid because they would have started beyond selling the premise he is the Doctor concentrating on the story instead. Or is the way they are telling to story ultimately the problem?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Simon Nye's Amy's Choice was exactly what a Doctor Who script should be - something I really wasn't expecting from the creator of Men Behaving Badly! Funny, scary and imaginative with enough mystery to keep you guessing till the end. For a first-time Who writer, he really managed to nail the essence of the show. Best episode of the season so far, IMO.