Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Re: Eleventh Doctor

Post by Blowfeld »

Amy's Choice was the best written so far. Leaves it open ended, but takes the time to answer questions and would have worked for any of the Doctors. In the 7th Doctor era they would gone with a darker twist on in, perhaps the Doctor put the crystals on the time rotor on purpose to force Amy to chose, more than that to make the right decision as he saw it.

Good show. :up:
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:Amy's Choice was the best written so far. Leaves it open ended, but takes the time to answer questions and would have worked for any of the Doctors. In the 7th Doctor era they would gone with a darker twist on in, perhaps the Doctor put the crystals on the time rotor on purpose to force Amy to chose, more than that to make the right decision as he saw it.

Good show. :up:
I think this idea of The Doctor as representing a choice to escape from mundane reality was really something that came in with Nu Who and Rose. The companions in Classic Who were not total cyphers, but their chief role was to get captured at inopportune moments and to ask "What's that, Doctor?" whenever the plot needed explaining. Ace perhaps came closest to the Nu Who model, but even she had already escaped Perivale and was travelling the stars when The Doctor first met her.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

True. Althou Sara Jane expressed the same idea in the New Series, having a hard time adapting to a mundane life after travelling in the TARDIS. Perhaps we have the book series to thank for this, the books often had the companions musing about life after the TARDIS. The dream world Land of Fiction Matrix type of story is classic Who. When the Doctor dumped his granddaughter off on a Earth ravaged by the Daleks never to speak of her again and the stories never mention her except in a 25th anniversary special. That is a big 'what the in hell?' moment for the logic of the show. One would have thought the Time Lord would have at least asked the Doctor where his granddaughter was when they caught him in 'War Games' . Then again they didn't notice when he waltzed away with the SHADA book, Silver Nemesis or Hand of Omega. I'm surprised the Time Lords noticed a old Tardis in for repair, destine for the scrap heap went missing.

May be a spoiler but they cast an actress
Spoiler
to play a long-lost relative of the Doctor in two future episode.
'The paper claims the actress will play a long-lost relative of the Doctor and that the role could lead to a major part in the series.
Susan? I would think if it were going to be Jenny they would bring back the perky Georgia Moffett
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:When the Doctor dumped his granddaughter off on a Earth ravaged by the Daleks never to speak of her again and the stories never mention her except in a 25th anniversary special. That is a big 'what the in hell?' moment for the logic of the show.
Well, in their defence, I doubt anyone thought that the show would still be running half a century later, and that it would be any different from any other character being written out of a show when the actor or actress decides to leave.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

I'll give them that the show last for longer and is far more popular than the creators ever could have imagined. If they had any inkling of the undying popularity then BBC never would have dumpstered the film of the original shows. The creative lengths the writers came up with to continue the show were genius and with the exception or JNT era (the man had idiotic ideas about costuming and desperately wanted to leave the show ) the BBC kept things fairly fresh and moving along.

I watched School Reunion again, I am starting to think that maybe Matt is the problem with the new shows. He is playing it too goofy, too odd. The stupid gag with him popping out of the stag cake is nonsense. The other thing bothering me is the repetition of his lines over and over again. They worked in his first show but are growing old. Possibly since they filmed the shows out of order Steven pulled those line placing them in the Eleventh Hour because they worked. I am not against the boy yet, however I am not sold on him either. Replacing David is a tall order and daunting. Althou talking with my mates those of us long time or life long fans are uncertain about the new shows and the new comers on board since the start of the new series or new to Who with start Matt Smiths run like Matt a lot. :|
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote: I watched School Reunion again, I am starting to think that maybe Matt is the problem with the new shows. He is playing it too goofy, too odd. The stupid gag with him popping out of the stag cake is nonsense. The other thing bothering me is the repetition of his lines over and over again. They worked in his first show but are growing old. Possibly since they filmed the shows out of order Steven pulled those line placing them in the Eleventh Hour because they worked. I am not against the boy yet, however I am not sold on him either. Replacing David is a tall order and daunting. Althou talking with my mates those of us long time or life long fans are uncertain about the new shows and the new comers on board since the start of the new series or new to Who with start Matt Smiths run like Matt a lot. :|
Most Doctors don't really make the role their own until their second season, and yes, I include DT in that. I really think the problem is that Moff is a better writer than he is a script editor. I was flicking through The Writer's Tale in a bookshop, and RTD was talking about what a brutal process the final edit is. It is far more than just trimming a few lines to make it fit the timeslot, it is more like taking the whole script apart and putting it back together again. Moffat doesn't seem to have got the hang of editing scripts yet, including his own.
CaptainLewis
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye
O.H.M.S.S.
Favorite Movies: Alien & Aliens
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

I thought it was an alright episode, next week looks good.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

CaptainLewis wrote:I thought it was an alright episode, next week looks good.
Are you talking about The Hungry Earth? If so, I agree - it wasn't good, it wasn't bad, it was just average. Formulaic even. Now that's an episode I could imagine with any Doctor, though because it used
Spoiler
the Silurians
, it made me think of a Pertwee episode more than anything.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Yea, almost any Doctor could have handled that one. Remarkable about these shows is the most interesting bits were the ones without Matt Smith. He should be settling in to his grove about now finding his voice as the Doctor, however he isn't becoming more interesting to watch. The Rory paradox did have the impact it needed, for me anyway.

IMDb has a new listing for Joanna Page, The Pandorica Opens & The Big Bang
Spoiler
Joanna Page --- Time Lady

She was the one rumoured to be playing a long lost family member, to me Time Lady means she isn't Jenny (Georgia Moffett)
CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

I enjoyed this episode. I thought the TARDIS bit at the end was a good twist. Seeing how the ring still exists, they're probably going to work that in to the series finale.
CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

I enjoyed today's episode,I thoght it was very good. I am dreading next weeks episode, I not a James Corden fan.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I wondered what a Richard Curtis-scripted episode of DW would be like and the answer is...surprisingly slowly paced. And the bit where the Doctor decides to
Spoiler
take Vincent Van Gogh to see his future, after all the times he's said that you can't mess with time
seemed way out of character. It looks like another case of a big name guest writer being allowed to get away with stuff that would earn a novice a well-deserved rap on the knuckles from the script editor.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I do enjoy the episodes where they go back in time as they always look great. The giant chicken was not in it much.
Bring back Bond!
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Rubbish. :cuss:
Good set and historical detail as always. The story was rubbish, the giant invisible chicken only visible in a mirror was too close to the Vampires of Venice mirror tricks. Another show where they do not bother to explain a thing, we are supposed to believe they left a dead invisible animal in the church, also the space the animal was supposed to fit in didn't match the scenes they shot where it was following them.

Then we come to the real problem for me, the field trip to the art museum. The Waters Of Mars had a thoughtful treatment of the Doctor violating the laws of time and the consequences this was Saturday morning cartoons mixed with Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Amy actually got on my nerves in this one and poor ol Matt continued being the least interesting person in the room. He had better shows earlier, now he is just filling the space where a Doctor should be.I am hoping the last 3 shows turn it around from him the way it did for Christopher.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

It seems to have been very popular, though, if the fan forums are any indication. The bits I found mawkish, everyone else seems to have considered to be "touching".
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Give it some time. Love for the current episode is almost unquestioning. 'Love & Monsters' one of the worst shows every made was too brilliant and if someone didn't 'get it' then they were 'too narrow minded'. I don't know when the last time audience appreciation numbers ever slip past 80. David's last two shows were a travesty especially in light of what it could have been and it took while for people to think about it and realise what a bit of rubbish it was.

The sets were nice the guy playing Vincent was very good as well, Amy was off to me here, more annoying than she used to be. Matt is waiting to be something interesting, maybe that will be another actor - playing him -playing the Doctor. If the guy playing Vincent were the Doctor it might have been something. A ginger Doctor ;) :lol:

It may be down to the writers, like the guest writer pull a stunt a staff writer would be given a weeks leave for. The story is weak on so many fronts, I am used to wonky story lines after all the years so that not the major problem for me, the problem for me is it isn't selling the emotion to me.
Spoiler
Rory was lost and the TARDIS was reviled to be part of the explosion
and it had almost no impact, I got nothing from Matt who should be telling us how we should be feeling about this. I am beginning to think they got the wrong actor to replace David , Matt had a flurry of activity in the beginning and some interesting quirks. I recent episodes he stands around looking odd not quite sure what to do with himself. His new catch phrases have be come tired already, I like to smack him the next time his says 'Bow-ties are coooool' with that nitwit look on his face.

My feeling is the audience numbers are going to start slipping.Thank God for Lewis
CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

Spoiler
Looks interesting.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

I watched the show again. I do not get what happens to this season, there was such energy at the start of it and it started petering out. Different writers, director, and actors true, however there is something I can't put my finger on that is wrong or perhaps better said a little off.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:I watched the show again. I do not get what happens to this season, there was such energy at the start of it and it started petering out. Different writers, director, and actors true, however there is something I can't put my finger on that is wrong or perhaps better said a little off.
I'd like to think it's just teething troubles, with Moffatt, Gillan and Smith all starting at the same time. RTD's first season with Eccleston was fairly ropey as well compared to the Tennant seasons, and I don't think that was all Eccleston's fault. Hopefully everyone involved will be far more confident next season.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

We've been talking about how some of the shows in this season could fit any Doctor, as is often the case in a new Doctor's first season, but The Lodger seemed tailor-made for Matt Smith's odd appearance and nervous energy. I couldn't imagine any other Doctor pulling it off as well.