Eleventh Doctor

News and Discussion of all things Dr Who
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Eleventh Doctor

Post by Kristatos »

The Pandoricon Opens - without wishing to issue any spoilers to those who haven't seen it...that is what I call a cliffhanger!
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

I am going view the last 3 back to back when I get home. The week after I am off again until the holidays :(

I sort of know some of the big happenings in The Pandoricon Opens, could not help but read some of the early spoilers. However I am holding off watching it until Saturday's conclusion.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

About Time!
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

For the last 3 the team found their stride. I hope they maintain this balance.

However they lost a few steps, easiest shown with the ratings from the last real series.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote: However they lost a few steps, easiest shown with the ratings from the last real series.
Do you have the chart for the series that's just finished?
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Nope, sorry, nicked from gallifreynewsbase. I was hoping they make a new one so I can, um borrow it as well. :D

The final numbers are nearly always 2 million higher than the over night estimates. Makes sense looking at the chart above it.
The Big Bang, had an audience of 5.1 million viewers, according to unofficial overnight figures.
The Appreciation Index figure for Episode Thirteen of Doctor Who, The Big Bang, was 89, the highest score of the series and the highest score on any of the main four channels on Saturday.
The Pandorica Opens, got an audience of 5.9 million viewers for episode 12, The Pandorica Opens, according to unofficial overnight figures. 5.4 million watched on BBC One with an additional 0.5 million watching on BBC HD.
Final ratings so far:
  • The Lodger, published by BARB show the story was watched by 6.44 million viewers.

Vincent and the Doctor, published by BARB show the story was watched by 6.76 million viewers.

Cold Blood, published by BARB show the story was watched by 7.49 million viewers.

The Hungry Earth, published by BARB show the story was watched by 6.49 million viewers.

Amy's Choice, published by BARB show the story was watched by 7.55 million viewers.

The Vampires of Venice, published by BARB show the story was watched by 7.68 million viewers.

Flesh and Stone, published today by BARB show the story was watched by 8.50 million viewers.

The Time of Angels, published today by BARB show the story was watched by 8.59 million viewers.

Victory of the Daleks , published today by BARB show the story was watched by 7.82 million viewers.

The Beast Below , published today by BARB show the story was watched by 8.42 million viewers.

The Eleventh Hour, have today been published by BARB and give Matt Smith's debut story an final rating of 10.08 million viewers.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

The tragedy is the last three shows were by far the best of the series and from the looks of it had the poorest ratings. Like you said Kris the Lodger was tailored perfectly to Matt's Doctor.
Overall the series wind up went well in my estimation successfully avoiding the traps RTD had gotten stuck in. If all of series 5 had been like the last three it,, wow! would be the words.

I think it also helped that they took the time to explain the nonsense. Althou the TARDIS exploding was never explained, left it as a bit of cliff hanger for series 6. In the book series the writers had played with the idea of a TARDIS strongly connected to its owner exploding when their Time Lord died.
Sexed-up Doctor no cure for TV ratings as 1.2m desert Timelord

By Paul Revoir

It was relaunched amid great fanfare, with a young Doctor Who and his sexy assistant.

But hopes that the pair would continue the revitalisation of the old format have been exterminated as 1.2 million viewers deserted the latest series.

The BBC expected Matt Smith, 27, as the Time Lord and Karen Gillan, 22, as Amy Pond to give the show a further boost after the previous success of David Tennant in the title role.

But the latest series, which ended at the weekend, managed an average of six million viewers, according to latest TV ratings.
Dr Who

Who's watching: Matt Smith and Karen Gillan in front of the Tardis at a photocall launching the new season of Dr Who

This compares with Tennant's last full series, in 2008, which averaged 7.2 million.

Saturday's finale could only muster 5.1 million, as it went up against a World Cup match on ITV. The first episode opened with about eight million in March. Industry observers are at a loss to explain the drop.

But the BBC believes that overall the viewer figures are almost the same, claiming many watched online or recorded episodes.

A BBC spokesman said: 'As personal video recorders and iPlayer become ever more popular, a large number of viewers are also choosing to watch on demand throughout the week.

'Consolidated figures show both series have so far averaged an extremely strong 7.8 million.'

While critics have praised Smith's quirky portrayal of the Time Lord, opinion among the show's die-hard fans is divided.

The last series was accused of dumbing down plot-lines after one of the most risque scenes in the show's history. Dozens complained about the 'overtly sexual scene' in which Amy Pond kisses and propisitions the Doctor.

Other fans were annoyed that the BBC revamped the theme tune to a 'rubbish' new version.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... z0svnNGGq8
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:Nope, sorry, nicked from gallifreynewsbase. I was hoping they make a new one so I can, um borrow it as well. :D
You mean like this?

Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:
Blowfeld wrote:Nope, sorry, nicked from gallifreynewsbase. I was hoping they make a new one so I can, um borrow it as well. :D
You mean like this?
:lol: Something borrowed, something blue.

I don't know what to make of the ratings except in my opinion it was very bad to be losing the audience from about the half way mark on. I also wouldn't count the iPlayer in the regular ratings. It belongs somewhere since it does add to the understanding of viewing habits I'm not sure it needs a place here.
CaptainLewis
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye
O.H.M.S.S.
Favorite Movies: Alien & Aliens
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

Dumbledore Meets Doctor Who This Christmas

With the sound of Doctor Who Season 5 finale "The Big Bang" still ringing in our ears, the BBC isn't resting on its laurels, revealing first details of the show's 2010 Christmas Special.

While the episode's title is still under wraps, the BBC is promising a clever twist on festive classic A Christmas Carol, with time-travelling newlyweds Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) and Rory Williams (Arthur Darvill) joining Matt Smith's Doctor alongside special guests Michael Gambon and opera singer Katherine Jenkins, in her first acting role.

With filming for the Christmas special starting today, showrunner Steven Moffat enthused, "Oh, we're going for broke with this one. It's all your favourite Christmas movies at once, in an hour, with monsters and the Doctor and a honeymoon and – oh, you'll see. I've honestly never been so excited about writing anything. I was laughing madly as I typed along to Christmas songs in April. My neighbours loved it so much they all moved away and set up a website demanding my execution. But I'm fairly sure they did it ironically."

There's no confirmed air date for the Doctor Who Christmas Special as yet, but if recent years are any indication, expect to be settling down in front of the TV post-turkey and pud on Christmas Day, in the UK at least.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

CaptainLewis wrote:
Dumbledore Meets Doctor Who This Christmas

With the sound of Doctor Who Season 5 finale "The Big Bang" still ringing in our ears, the BBC isn't resting on its laurels, revealing first details of the show's 2010 Christmas Special.

While the episode's title is still under wraps, the BBC is promising a clever twist on festive classic A Christmas Carol, with time-travelling newlyweds Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) and Rory Williams (Arthur Darvill) joining Matt Smith's Doctor alongside special guests Michael Gambon and opera singer Katherine Jenkins, in her first acting role.

With filming for the Christmas special starting today, showrunner Steven Moffat enthused, "Oh, we're going for broke with this one. It's all your favourite Christmas movies at once, in an hour, with monsters and the Doctor and a honeymoon and – oh, you'll see. I've honestly never been so excited about writing anything. I was laughing madly as I typed along to Christmas songs in April. My neighbours loved it so much they all moved away and set up a website demanding my execution. But I'm fairly sure they did it ironically."

There's no confirmed air date for the Doctor Who Christmas Special as yet, but if recent years are any indication, expect to be settling down in front of the TV post-turkey and pud on Christmas Day, in the UK at least.
Good news. It will be a good Christmas if they manage keep the quality of the last 3 shows.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Code: Select all

What a busy couple of weeks its been. Despite Series 5 of Doctor Who having finished, hardly a day goes by without some sort of Who-related news popping up.

For a fuller round-up, remember to look in on Doctor Who in the Media, but, to whet your appetite, here's a summary.

On Sunday, BBC 1 premiered the long-awaited first episode of Sherlock (see our earlier story), Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss's updated version of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. It stars Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes, Martin Freeman as Dr John Watson and Rupert Graves as Inspector Lestrade. Cumberbatch has created a bit of a stir in the last few days by suggesting, first, telling Digital Spy that he may well be appearing in several episodes Doctor Who, and, then, according to the Sun that he considered becoming the eleventh Doctor before Matt Smith was cast in the role.

Again, according to the Sun, Matt Smith is eager to leave Doctor Who to pursue a career in Hollywood. However, this has been denied by both Moffat, to BBC News, and Karen Gillan, during her visit to Veuve Clicquot Gold Cup Final at Cowdray Park Polo Club! For a less sensational take on this, see this story and this story on Digital Journal.

Nicky Wire, of the Manic Street Preachers, caused a bit of a stir when he blogged on the band's website that he was writing a Doctor Who script. He's since clarified on Twitter that it's fan fiction and not a BBC commission.

Russell T Davies has been speaking to SFX about the fourth series of Torchwood and has also dealt with the rumours surrounding a Johnny Depp as the Doctor Hollywood movie! This story covers the original "exclusive" and RTD's debunking of it.

Finally, there was plenty of press coverage surrounding the start of filming of the 2010 Christmas special (see this Gallifrey Base story), guest-starring Sir Michael Gambon and Katherine Jenkins, including here, here and here.

Happy times and places!