Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Eleventh Doctor

Post by Blowfeld »

Started a new thread for the impending announcement. :mrgreen:
New Doctor Who to be announced
ImageThe name of the actor who will replace David Tennant in Doctor Who will be announced on Saturday.

Tennant said in October that he would stand down from the show after filming four special episodes in 2009.

His replacement - the eleventh Doctor of the TV series - will be revealed in a Doctor Who Confidential programme on BBC One at 1735 on 3 January.

The casting was confirmed over Christmas and filming for the 2010 series begins in the summer.

Tennant is due to begin shooting the first of his four specials this month, just weeks after surgery on his back.

David Tennant says he is envious of his replacement, whose 'life will change'

The last of these episodes is expected to run in early 2010.

'Nail-biting Christmas'

The casting decision has been a priority for the show's new creative team, led by executive producers Steven Moffat and Piers Wenger.

The BBC said that in Saturday's Doctor Who special "the actor playing the new Doctor will be giving his or her initial reaction" to becoming TV's most famous time traveller.

Wenger, head of drama at BBC Wales, said: "We believe the actor is going to bring something very special to the role and will make it absolutely their own.

"I just can't wait to tell everyone who it is - it has been a nail-biting Christmas trying to keep this under wraps!"

Shortly after Tennant's announcement, bookmakers were tipping several well-known names as the next actor (or actress) to step into the Tardis.

Murphy's Law and Cold Feet star James Nesbitt emerged as one of the favourites, along with Paterson Joseph, John Simm and David Morrissey - who appeared in the 2008 Christmas special.

Paterson Joseph, who recently starred in Survivors and appeared in two Doctor Who episodes in 2005, has said "any actor would love the challenge" of playing the Time Lord.

Bookmakers made him an early favourite - offering odds of 3-1 on him becoming the first black Doctor.

Comedian Jennifer Saunders, former Doctor Who assistant Billie Piper and film star Catherine Zeta Jones have also been mentioned in connection with the role.

The show's outgoing executive producer Russell T Davies said last month: "Whoever becomes the Doctor has got to take on a whole life. It's not just becoming a part of a TV show."

In October, when Tennant was asked who he thought should replace him, he joked: "Well, I've always been a big supporter of Wee Jimmy Krankie!"

Doctor Who began in 1963, and seven actors played the Doctor before the show was dropped in 1989.

After a TV movie in 1996 - starring Paul McGann - the TV series returned in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston in the lead role. Tennant took over the role the same year.
THE 10 DOCTORS
1. William Hartnell
2. Patrick Troughton
3. Jon Pertwee
4. Tom Baker (pictured)
5. Peter Davison
6. Colin Baker
7. Sylvester McCoy
8. Paul McGann
9. Christopher Eccleston
10. David Tennant
11. ???
Story can be found herehttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/entertainment/7807742.stm
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Re: Eleventh Doctor

Post by Blowfeld »

26-year-old actor Matt Smith has been cast as the Eleventh Doctor, as revealed in today's special broadcast of Doctor Who Confidential on BBC One. Smith will succeed David Tennant in the role for the fifth series, which begins filming this summer and will air in 2010.

Smith has appeared in various television productions, including alongside Billie Piper in the BBC's adaptations of the Philip Pullman novels The Ruby in the Smoke and The Shadow in the North. He co-starred in the drama series Party Animals, and on stage was in Alan Bennett's acclaimed play The History Boys.

Smith was born and bred in Northampton, England, and later attended the University of East Anglia in Norwich. He is the youngest actor ever to have been cast as the Doctor in the TV series.

BBC News quotes Smith as saying: "I've got this wonderful journey in front of me where I've got this six months to build this Time Lord - and that's such an exciting prospect." Executive producer Piers Wenger has said that: "It was abundantly clear that he had that 'Doctor-ness' about him. You are either the Doctor or you are not."
The last quote caught my attention. 'It was abundantly clear that he had that 'Doctor-ness' about him. You are either the Doctor or you are not.'
I agree without reservation. All I will add is the same used to be said about 007.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Last question that the producers will have to answer eventually. Is David the 10th & 11th Doctor because of the regeneration last year when Rose returned?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Never seen him in anything, so I have no preconceptions, but he seems a little young. David Tennant's shoes are big ones to fill, so I hope he's up to it.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
CaptainLewis
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye
O.H.M.S.S.
Favorite Movies: Alien & Aliens
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

New Doctor actor is youngest ever

Matt Smith takes over from David Tennant

Matt Smith has been named as the actor who will take over from David Tennant in Doctor Who - making him the youngest actor to take on the role.

At 26, Smith is three years younger than Peter Davison when he signed up to play the fifth Doctor in 1981.

Smith will first appear on TV screens as the 11th Doctor in 2010.

He was cast over Christmas and will begin filming for the fifth series of Doctor Who in the summer. Tennant is filming four specials in 2009.

Smith was named as Tennant's replacement in Saturday's edition of Doctor Who Confidential on BBC One.

He said: "I feel proud and honoured to have been given this opportunity to join a team of people that has worked so tirelessly to make the show so thrilling.

"David Tennant has made the role his own, brilliantly, with grace, talent and persistent dedication. I hope to learn from the standards set by him.

"The challenge for me is to do justice to the show's illustrious past, my predecessors, and most importantly, to those who watch it. I really cannot wait."

Piers Wenger, head of drama at BBC Wales, said that as soon as he had seen Smith's audition he "knew he was the one".

The 11 Doctors
Peter Davison
1. William Hartnell (1963-1966)
2. Patrick Troughton (1966-1969)
3. Jon Pertwee (1970-1974)
4. Tom Baker (1974-1981)
5. Peter Davison - pictured (1982-1984)
6. Colin Baker (1984-1986)
7. Sylvester McCoy (1987-1996)
8. Paul McGann (1996)
9. Christopher Eccleston (2005)
10. David Tennant (2005-2010)
11. Matt Smith (2010 - ?)

"It was abundantly clear that he had that 'Doctor-ness' about him," he said. "You are either the Doctor or you are not. It's just the beginning of the journey for Matt.

"With Steven Moffat's scripts and the expertise of the production team in Cardiff behind him, there is no one more perfect to be taking the Tardis to exciting new futures when the series returns in 2010."

Wenger said a broad range of people had been auditioned, but they had not set out to cast the youngest Doctor.

Smith's TV debut was in the 2006 adaptation of Philip Pullman's The Ruby in the Smoke, which starred former Doctor Who companion Billie Piper as Sally Lockhart.

He has also acted opposite Piper in the follow-up, The Shadow in the North, and in ITV2's Secret Diary of a Call Girl.

In 2007, he had a leading role in BBC Two's political drama Party Animals, in which he played a parliamentary researcher.

Smith's stage work has included stints with theatre companies such as the Royal Court and National Theatre. His West End debut was in Swimming With Sharks opposite Christian Slater.

He was born in Northampton in 1982 and studied drama and creative writing at the University of East Anglia.

Creative team

Tennant said in October that he would stand down from the show after filming four special episodes in 2009.

David Tennant as Doctor Who
Tennant is recovering from back surgery ahead of filming in 2009
The star is due to begin shooting the first special this month, just weeks after surgery on his back forced him to pull out of a London run of Hamlet.

The last of these special episodes is expected to run in early 2010.

With a new creative team in place for the 2010 series led by executive producers Steven Moffat and Piers Wenger, the casting of the Doctor was the first job to be completed before scripts could be finalised.

Doctor Who began in 1963, and seven actors played the Doctor before the show was dropped in 1989.

After a TV movie in 1996 - starring Paul McGann - the TV series returned in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston in the lead role. Tennant took over the same year.
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7808697.stm

Good luck to him, I will be sad to see Tennant to go, but with a new head writer, it will be good. I look forward to watching it.
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger, OHMSS, FRWL, The Living Daylights

Post by 007 »

Smith made quite a good impression on Doctor Who Confidential tonight. He has an interesting look and a certain eccentric quality.

"I’m looking for Commander Bond and not an overgrown stunt-man." - Ian Fleming
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

He does seem a bit young. Maybe he will grow into the role. I have never heard of him, and did not recognise him in the clips shown in the Doctor Who Confidential programme. The program was fun as they gave you some clues before announcing the new Doctor. It was like Who Shot JR in Dallas all over again. :lol:
Bring back Bond!
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

I watched Confidential three times. I'm not entirely sure of Matt. He is a nice enough young kid and may have the Doctor-ish mannerisms to make a good Doctor. Steven Moffat certainly know his stuff and he think this is the direction to go. However on the special Matt was frigidity and nervous. Good reason too.
The last moment of the special closing on Matt's face after running through all of the Doctors seemed a bad choice. One he is not in costume and two the angle made him look a bit offish. Maybe it is the eyebrows. Shouldn't be a problem he has 6 months to grow a pair. ;)
CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

BBC denies 'Who' betting irregularities

The BBC has denied knowing anything about an alleged coup to win money from betting on the identity of the 11th Doctor.

Bookmaker Paddy Power slashed its odds on Matt Smith being named the new Time Lord from 33-1 to 10-1 ahead of Saturday's announcement, suggesting that the 26-year-old's casting was known by some in advance.

Paddy Power's Darren Haines told PA: "For such an unknown name as Matt Smith to go from 33-1 to 10-1 suggests there were obviously people who did know.

"However it wasn't widespread, so it wasn't enough to set our alarm bells ringing, otherwise he would have crashed in as favourite."

While bets were still being placed on David Morrissey, Paterson Joseph and James Nesbitt, Haines added that money wagered on Smith was "enough to suggest there were people out there who knew, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as a betting coup".

A spokeswoman for the BBC said: "The BBC has no knowledge of anyone betting on the outcome of the identity of the 11th Doctor."

Smith will begin his tenure as The Doctor in 2010, taking over from David Tennant.
Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a14030 ... ities.html
katied

Post by katied »

The new Dr. Who is too pretty,IMO.And too young looking .
CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

Piper: 'Matt Smith will be great Doctor'

Thursday, January 15 2009, 12:32 GMT

By Lara Martin

BBC

Billie Piper has revealed that she approves of new Doctor Who star Matt Smith.

The actress, who played the Doctor's assistant on the cult show, admitted that she is a "big fan" of the actor and that she is confident he was right for the part.

"I love him," she said. "He's a stirring actor, and he has the right energy,...That's what the Doctor is about, essentially - having that energy that you just can't understand."

Referring to concerns that 26-year-old Smith is too young to play the character, she said: "The fans get so concerned about these things, and they should just relax. It's going to be fine. They're in good hands."

However, when asked about rumours that the Time Lord could eventually be played by a female, she said: "I don't think the Doctor should be a woman...It's like going, 'Let's make James Bond a woman'. It's a man's role."

Smith, who was announced as David Tennant's replacement earlier this year, is scheduled to make his debut as the Doctor in 2010.
Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a14268 ... octor.html
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Is there anything Billie can't do? ;)
CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

Matt Smith 'was not a Who fan'

Matt Smith has admitted that he was not a big fan of Doctor Who before winning the part of the eleventh Doctor.

In an interview with Doctor Who Magazine, the actor said that he did not think he had much chance of being chosen by show producers.

Smith said: "I wasn't a Who fan. I have to be honest - I can't claim to have watched the show in its entirety or have been a follower as avidly as some people are. That's what I'm realising - that people love this show, people are avid, avid fans of it, and know it, and know its history and are part of it.

"I can't claim to know it as well as that, but I'm going to make it my business to do so, and fall into it in as much depth as I possibly can."

He added that he originally feared his audition was over-energised and "too manic" to give him the opportunity of replacing David Tennant.
Website: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a14572 ... o-fan.html
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

He was obviously enough of a fan to read for the role, though. As far as I know, he approached the producers, they didn't approach him - it wasn't a Christopher Ecclestone situation whereby they were looking for a "name" actor to play the role.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

Early fan mail for new Doctor Who

New Doctor Who Matt Smith says he has received fan mail even before shooting any scenes for the new series.

The actor, in his first interview since landing the part, told Doctor Who magazine he would "try to respond to all of them".

Smith, 26, added that he goes "largely unnoticed" at present, adding: "I am enjoying my anonymity."

The youngest actor to take the role was unveiled last month, and will star in the new series in 2010.

Smith, who was in Brazil when the announcement was made, said that he would make his Doctor "as varied, brilliant, dark, unpredictable and happy and sad as I can".

"I'm really going to work my socks off in the next few years and do my best to enjoy it as much as I can," he added.

The actor, who will become the 11th Time Lord, revealed that he hopes he will have a say in his new costume - and hinted at the attire of past Doctor Tom Baker.

"I'm a big fan of long coats and rather dashing scarves in everyday life, so who knows?"

Smith, whose previous credits include Ruby In The Smoke and Secret Diary of a Call Girl, is promising to get to the heart of his new role and its long history.

"I'm going to make it my business to do so, and fall into it with as much depth as I possibly can."

The Northampton-born actor also said that he was already immersed in his new part.

"There's Sherlock Holmes, James Bond and Doctor Who. It has resonance in our cultural fabric."

He also revealed that he has already read two "inventive and funny" scripts for the fifth series, written by Steven Moffat, and is "desperate to read more".

"They rocket along. He's going to talk me through the whole series, what happens and stuff. It's so exciting," added Smith.

The new series starring Smith is expected to run in spring 2010.

His predecessor David Tennant will appear in four special episodes, the last of which is scheduled to screen early next year.

After a TV movie in 1996 - starring Paul McGann - the TV series returned in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston in the lead role. Tennant took over the same year.
Website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7870692.stm
CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

Noel Clarke talks about Dr Who
Noel was a popular member of Dr Who playing Billie Piper's boyfriend Mickey Smith and he admits his next project is in the same genre.

He said: "I've written a sci-fi film that has a production deal and is very close. The script is going out to actors."

Noel Clarke is Mickey Smith and Billie Piper's boyfriend in Dr Who

But he says he doesn't expect it to be similar to Dr Who.

"I wrote it a while ago but it's not going to take elements of Dr Who," he said.

"It's going be my own thing, my own idea. I'm quite excited by it and hopefully all the Dr Who fans will come and support that."

As for the new Doctor, Matt Smith, Noel's backing him all the way: "I don't know Matt Smith but I am very, very happy that he's the Doctor," he said.

"There was a lot of speculation about who, what and why and out of nowhere Matt Smith came along.

"I've got to tell you I jumped up in the air. I was that happy.

"He's done a fair few acting jobs but he doesn't have baggage and he looks the part and is going to be fantastic.

"Dr Who fans, I'm supporting him all the way."
For the rest of the interview it is on: http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/enter ... 818674.stm
CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

'Who' star to earn £1m in five-year deal

Matt Smith will reportedly receive £1 million from the BBC when he takes over as the next Time Lord in Doctor Who.

The actor will be paid an annual salary of £200,000 by the corporation for three years, with the option to extend the contract by a further two, according to The Sun.

Producers on the sci-fi show are reportedly keen to ensure that the star stays for as long as possible. David Tennant quit the show after three years while Christopher Eccleston stayed for just one series.

"Bosses don’t want Matt doing a David and leaving when things are going great," a source told the newspaper.

The BBC declined to comment on Smith's contract, but said: "All new deals are done with the economic climate in mind."

Tennant is thought to have earned around £1 million a year for the role
Website: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a14638 ... -deal.html
CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

Tardis 'to get a full redesign'

The Tardis will undergo a full redesign when Matt Smith joins the cast as the eleventh Doctor in 2010, it has been claimed.

Producers will radically refit the inside of the time-travelling police box and will also enhance the quality of the exterior, The Mirror reports.

A source said: "It will be the most hi-tech, intricate Tardis ever."

Incoming head writer Stephen Moffat is reportedly interested in making sure the Tardis looks good in high definition.

He is also said to be attempting to distance himself from outgoing executive producer Russell T. Davies, and to herald a new era of the show.

Davies has previously admitted that a move to high definition would require the reconstruction of the Tardis to prevent its "flaws" showing on screen.
Website: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a14826 ... esign.html

A new Tardis will be good.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

They are filming the next specials in High Definition too.

New console room is always a treat. I have wondered why writers never did much with the secondary console room idea introduced with 'The Masque of Mandragora'
CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

McCoy praises new Doctor Matt Smith

Sylvester McCoy has backed the decision to recruit Matt Smith as David Tennant's successor in Doctor Who.

The 65-year-old actor, who appeared as the Seventh Doctor from 1987 to 1989, told the Liverpool Daily Post that he is eager for Smith to "put his own slant" on the role.

"I think that's very important for all Doctors - Chris Eccleston had his wonderful take on it, and David Tennant," McCoy explained.

"I'm looking forward to this new guy, he's got a great face. I don't know him at all but he looks quirky and interesting."

Smith, 26, was confirmed as the new Doctor in January, two months after Tennant announced his decision to quit. He is expected to make his debut in the part in 2010.
Website: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a15471 ... smith.html