Purvis & Wade 007 producers wanted to go into 007's past

A place for discussion of all Bond 23/Skyfall related news and rumors
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Re: Purvis & Wade 007 producers wanted to go into 007's past

Post by stockslivevan »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:
stockslivevan wrote:His background is pretty much in line with Fleming's Bond, the only difference being that it was updated for someone being born in 1968. It's by the start of CR that Craig Bond's timeline truly goes its own path.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/casi ... /index.php
Fleming's Bond was much younger when he got his 00 - in his 20's. But Fleming's Bond had a very different career path serving in WWII. Craig's Bond was an SAS man and then became a 00 later in life. Ian Fleming liked a tipple so was a bit loose with the continuity sometimes. :evil:

I think the bits about his childhood were invented as Fleming mentioned the Scotch and Swiss parents and him being an orphan but lots of bits were added.
Craig wasn't in the air service, his background was still with the British Navy. Good point about getting the 00 at an earlier age. The Skyfall Lodge and Kincaide character are new details, but they don't really go against anything Fleming said about Bond's background as he rarely got into that part of Bond's life:

[video][/video]
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

I thought they said the Craig Bond was in the SAS? It's so long ago I can't remember!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:I thought they said the Craig Bond was in the SAS? It's so long ago I can't remember!
Vesper called him "an SAS type", but that was just her impression of him, rather than an actual biographical detail.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Kristatos wrote:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:I thought they said the Craig Bond was in the SAS? It's so long ago I can't remember!
Vesper called him "an SAS type", but that was just her impression of him, rather than an actual biographical detail.
She also assumed he went to Oxford. I think Paul Haggis did try to revision Bond as a working class everyman type, giving him an SAS background hence why he's never referred to as Commander or associated with any Naval references, but all of that was deleted by EON and the only thing that remains is Vesper's initial impression of him, which Craig Bond neither confirms or denies.

Now with Skyfall reinforcing Bond's family and naval background, you can say Vesper guessed wrong.

Speaking of Bond's background, I'd like to see EON bring Bond's commando experiences to use. It's been so long since Bond fought alongside with the cohorts like in TSWLM. I think TLD was the last time he had an army fight alongside with him. Every fourth Bond film for an actor is always his biggest, I'd like to see them really go big with Bond 24.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I thought we had a pretty good grounding in Bonds background from the original series.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

stockslivevan wrote: Speaking of Bond's background, I'd like to see EON bring Bond's commando experiences to use. It's been so long since Bond fought alongside with the cohorts like in TSWLM. I think TLD was the last time he had an army fight alongside with him. Every fourth Bond film for an actor is always his biggest, I'd like to see them really go big with Bond 24.
I agree with that. Preferably backed by Barry's 007 theme, which we haven't heard since Moonraker, save for a couple of bars buried on the DAD soundtrack.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

stockslivevan wrote: Speaking of Bond's background, I'd like to see EON bring Bond's commando experiences to use. It's been so long since Bond fought alongside with the cohorts like in TSWLM. I think TLD was the last time he had an army fight alongside with him. Every fourth Bond film for an actor is always his biggest, I'd like to see them really go big with Bond 24.
Every fourth rule? I'm not sure this has a basis in any real world metric, it's like the every other year Bond attendance rule (2006 up, 2008 down, 2012 up, 2014 down, going back to most of the series)

Both roger and Pierce had bigger first outing than later on, althou they also made more movies in the same span of time (4 movie in 6 years and 7 years for Pierce)
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Powder Puff
Lieutenant

Post by Powder Puff »

I thought Daniel Craig's third Bond movie would be a camp, extraaganza with lots of action. When it finally arrived it had no action and was quite dark. Skyfall was popular so I can't imagine Bond 24 being another Moonraker. The producers have a new formula - boring, dark film - and will stick to it.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

I don't expect them to make Moonraker again. I meant that Bond 24 will likely be the culmination of the three films that came before. It will be as much a Daniel Craig Bond film as Thunderball was Connery's, Moonraker was Moore's and Die Another Day was Brosnan's.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

stockslivevan wrote:I don't expect them to make Moonraker again. I meant that Bond 24 will likely be the culmination of the three films that came before. It will be as much a Daniel Craig Bond film as Thunderball was Connery's, Moonraker was Moore's and Die Another Day was Brosnan's.
I think an OTT Bond film for Craig's 4th is inevitable, but I'm guessing they'll attempt the volcano lair type theme with more grounded realism.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

I'm sure there was a bio that stated Craig's Bond was in the SAS. But with Bond having such a problem with authority, I have a hard time believe Craig's Bond wasn't kicked out of the SAS.