Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Censored Bond film Skyfall opens in China

Post by Blowfeld »

To me this is pretty sever censoring. A little surprised it was agreed to.
Censored Bond film Skyfall opens in China
The latest James Bond film, Skyfall, has finally opened in China after a two-month delay, with some key scenes removed by Chinese censors.

A scene in which Bond kills a security guard in Shanghai has been cut, as have references to prostitution in Macau.

Subtitles have also been changed to hide references to torture by the Chinese security forces.

China routinely censors foreign films to remove content deemed to be morally or politically damaging.

The authorities also limit the number of imported films that can be screened in cinemas, partly to protect the domestic entertainment industry.

Skyfall was released internationally in 2012 and has become the biggest grossing film of all time, taking more than $1bn (£630m) at the box office.

The Chinese release was probably delayed to give domestic films a better chance of box office success, says the BBC's John Sudworth in Shanghai.

Much of the film is set in China, in part to appeal to Chinese cinema-goers.

But capturing the lucrative Chinese market comes at a price, says our correspondent, with movie companies who champion free speech at home having to make compromises to pass the Chinese censors.

The changes made to Skyfall are however minor compared to some other films, he adds. In addition, a pirated version of the film has been available in China for weeks so many people will have seen the full version anyway
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Censored Bond film Skyfall opens in China

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:To me this is pretty sever censoring. A little surprised it was agreed to.
I'm not. For all its pretentions, at the end of the day, Skyfall is a franchise movie, whose primary purpose is to make money. If the Chinese government required that Bond be riding a unicycle throughout the film, then they'd reshoot it that way rather than turn down the prospect of all those lovely yuans.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Skyfall’s 4-day cume in China was $17.9M,
5.1m from Monday, Ghost Protocol made $12.7 in its first two days. Maybe $100 million from china is out of the question, maybe not.
[offtopic]After looking a lot of data up ini my gut don't think they'll pass $56m million as another reports I posted, it hard to tell what China will do, if they close out the week with 20 million and do it for two more it's all moot, I kind of think that is how MI4 did it. But anyway there are lot of movie that never get sent to china and china was facing off a lot of big names last year to hurt them but here is all the data I could find.[/offtopic]

The 6day figure BO MOJO has for MI4 is $35,926,739. Bond has 4 @ $17.9 I'd guess it would finish at $26.5, going off the three day average.

• 2 day China
  • MI4 $12 million
  • Avengers $18 million(someplaces say this is the first day)
  • Dark Knight Rises 9.1 million
The Amazing Spider-Man made $5.46m in its Chinese bow, beating The Dark Knight Rises' $4.5m.
Read more athttp://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... ants/news/
China this week with The Amazing Spider-Man, but the 3D reboot ended up coming out on top with $33.3 million to The Dark Knight Rises' $28.5
Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... Algdc2B.99
BIG IN CHINA: THE TOP 10

1. Titanic 3D 970m yuan (155.94 USD)

4. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol 640m ( 102.89 USD)

5. The Avengers 570m ( 91.63 USD)

6. Life of Pi 570m (91.63 USD)

7. Men In Black III 510m (81.99 USD)

8. Ice Age: Continental Drift 450m (72.34 USD)

9. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island 370m (59.48 USD)
These didn't make the top ten list
Spider-man $48,818,164
Batman DKR $52,785,334
Expendables 2 $53,090,000
Madagascar 3 $31,513,925
Hunger Games $27,049,819
The next raft of Hollywood blockbusters will arrive in Chinese cinemas in mid-February, with Jack Reacher bowing Feb .16, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey on Feb. 22 and Les Miserables on Feb. 28. The breakout hit of the so-called “golden week” during the Lunar New Year holidays, however, will probably be Stephen Chow Sing-chi’s Feb. 10-opening comedy JTTW, an abbreviated form of the Chinese novel – Journey to the West – on which it is based.
............ :007:
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

It seems to me the Chinese market looks a difficult one to track for any Hollywood blockbuster.
Is it because they have an inbuilt resentment to anything from the West, due to the brainwashing `Everything Chinese is great' propoganda by their government?

I've been to China several times and know first-hand the level of censoring that goes on there. SF's cuts prove this even more. For all the talk of it being the next big superpower, the country is very, very insular, with an inward look and not a healthy look outward globally.

If they are to become the next global state police to replace the US, I just hope they start to appreciate more Western cultures in general, otherwise we could all be in for a big change, and maybe not for the better.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

The weeks numbers should be out soon. One place had the price of tickets there at under $5. But china keeps 75-85%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
............ :007:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class