Post by stockslivevan »

So, only "stupid people" like Skyfall?
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Re: Skyfall at the US box office.

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

I don't think the people who liked Skyfall are stupid - they just don't have any taste.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

The 50th Anniversary contributed greatly to Skyfall's success, along with all the critical hype of how Skyfall is the second coming of Goldfinger or something. While there are many who liked the film, there are those that complain about falling for the hype again. These people, despite being disappointed with the previous Craig Bonds, continue to go and see the films anyway, with the hope that the next one will be what they want. There's no point in complaining about Craig's Bonds if you keep giving away your money to see them. If you're really that curious, just wait for someone to post the film on YouTube, or borrow a copy of the DVD/Blu-ray when it's released.

But regardless of how much money his Bond films make, I don't think Craig is the best Bond since Sean Connery. I remember when Brosnan was considered to be the best Bond since Sean Connery, or how he was the "modern Bond". Now Brosnan has suddenly become the punching bag for forum nerds, whenever they need to take a break from making fun of Roger Moore. So perhaps the next actor to play Bond (if I'm still alive by then to see it happen) will too be deemed as the best Bond since Sean Connery, and Craig will get tossed aside and become the new punching bag of the series.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

The Saint 007 wrote:So perhaps the next actor to play Bond (if I'm still alive by then to see it happen) will too be deemed as the best Bond since Sean Connery, and Craig will get tossed aside and become the new punching bag of the series.
But imagine if a black actor takes over, and fickle fans then consider him to be superior to DC.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

We'll see if people turn against Craig, for now he is a popular Bond, anyone who disputes that with "not true, his films only did well because they're Bond films", I'll remind you that the same argument could be thrown at all the other actors that had success with Bond besides Connery. If people really did not like Craig as Bond then they wouldn't bother showing up as that happened with Lazenby and unfortunately Dalton too. As hard it may be for YOU to believe, Craig is turning out as a popular Bond and will likely be up there with Connery, Moore and Brosnan as Bond legends, no matter how much of a bitter response he gets on a message board as Brosnan gets now.
Powder Puff
Lieutenant

Post by Powder Puff »

Pierce Brosnan was wildly popular. Remember he became Bond after six years of no Bond so his films were big events like Daniel Craig who made his first Bond after a four year gap then made Skyfall after another four year gap. /this means the Bond films are huge events.,
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Yes, and like Brosnan, Craig was a factor to the success of those flicks.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

The James Bond name has a lot of power/recognition behind it, and the series is popular all over the world. People love the character of Bond and his adventures, as well as all the elements that made the series unique from other spy movies. The actor portraying Bond does play a part in what makes the film successful, and there's no denying that Craig's Bond is popular. However, I don't think Skyfall would have been quite as successful if it wasn't part of the Bond series. But then again, I could be wrong.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

The Saint 007 wrote:The James Bond name has a lot of power/recognition behind it, and the series is popular all over the world. People love the character of Bond and his adventures, as well as all the elements that made the series unique from other spy movies. The actor portraying Bond does play a part in what makes the film successful, and there's no denying that Craig's Bond is popular. However, I don't think Skyfall would have been quite as successful if it wasn't part of the Bond series. But then again, I could be wrong.
No, I'm in agreement with you for once Saint. SF would have been nowhere near as successful had it not been part of the Bond franchise.
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

The Sweeney wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:The James Bond name has a lot of power/recognition behind it, and the series is popular all over the world. People love the character of Bond and his adventures, as well as all the elements that made the series unique from other spy movies. The actor portraying Bond does play a part in what makes the film successful, and there's no denying that Craig's Bond is popular. However, I don't think Skyfall would have been quite as successful if it wasn't part of the Bond series. But then again, I could be wrong.
No, I'm in agreement with you for once Saint. SF would have been nowhere near as successful had it not been part of the Bond franchise.
What's this? Sweeney actually agrees with me on something?!?
But joking aside, I'm glad we're in agreement on the matter. :cheers:
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Napoleon Solo wrote:
stockslivevan wrote:Saw that Sweeney reported UK box office news, so here's one for the US.

It just broke the $300 million barrier: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... bond23.htm

And for adjusted in the US, that places SF at #3 behind GF and TB: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises ... esbond.htm

Comments?
That was as of Friday. The site will have an update today with estimated U.S. ticket sales for the Jan. 18-20 weekend. I'm wondering if today's update might also have the China opening factored in.
China opened with $5.1 million bigger than any Bond before of course but is that big? For china now I mean.

The big news there is how edited the movie is and how the can see the unedited version online and sold in the street.
............ :007:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I'll look it up better once I back on a computer but avengers opening day was $17.4 , i want to see what other movies did in china starting with mi4
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Found the answer it is a modest opening in today's standards.
A Jackie Chan movie did $7 million its first day, the other movies I have a hard time researching because BO MOJo Chia db is 2009 and some of 2011 :cuss:
http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/20 ... pening-day
EntGroup tells Boxoffice that Skyfall made $5.1 million on its first day of release on 5,500 screens, which includes $200,000 or so from midnight shows. That's a bit underwhelming considering that Skyfall is the widest theatrical release ever in China.

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol made $12 million in China during its first two days, and now it doesn't look like Skyfall will be able to match that. Ghost Protocol ended its Chinese run with $102.7 million.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Here is some more info dosn't look like mushhas changed from the guess $30 to $100mimmion formC hina is still on the table.
http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/20 ... e-in-china

By Phil Contrino

The Chinese box office is growing at such a rapid rate--2012's total of $2.75 billion represents a 31% year/year increase--that predicting grosses can be daunting. It's a good problem for Hollywood to have.

Enter Skyfall. (Or perhaps we should say an altered version of Skyfall.)

The latest Bond film hits Chinese theaters on January 21. Skyfall has already grossed more than $1 billion globally before opening in China, the second largest film market in the world. Expectations are high since 2012 was a huge year for Hollywood in China: five 2012 releases now rank in the top 20 on China's all-time highest grosses list.

Reports of illegal Skyfall copies working their way around the Middle Kingdom are causing some to be cautious about the film's theatrical potential--and rightfully so. The MPA focuses plenty of attention on combating rampant piracy in China. Inception was also pirated heavily in China and it managed to gross an impressive $70.4 million. If the impact of piracy wasn't so large, Christopher Nolan's mind-bender could have been looking at $80 million or more.

There are many different ways to look at the Skyfall's potential in China, but one thing is pretty much guaranteed: the spy flick should breeze past the $20.8 million haul of 2008's Quantum of Solace.

One Chinese source tells Boxoffice that Skyfall "could reach RMB200 million [$32.2 million] easily" during its first week of release.

If Skyfall performs in a similar way to 2011's Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, its worldwide haul will see a considerable boost. Ghost Protocol posted $12.7 million in its first two days in China on its way to an impressive $102.5 million. That's enough to make GP China's #7 film of all time.

Skyfall trails Ghost Protocol in some key Asian territories, but it's keeping up with it in others:

Japan: $30.6 million for Skyfall after nearly a month and a half vs. $70 million for Ghost Protocol after two months
South Korea: $16 million for Skyfall vs. $51 million for Ghost Protocol*
Thailand: $3.8 million for Skyfall vs. $3.4 million for Ghost Protocol*
Hong Kong: $5.1 million for Skyfall (in nearly 2.5 months) vs. $5.7 million for Ghost Protocol (in 2 months)
*comparable time frame

It's also important to look at how quickly Hollywood franchises are growing in China when discussing Skyfall's potential. Take Transformers, for instance. The first Transformers film made $37.3 million. 2009's Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen upped the stakes by bringing in $62.6 million--a 68% increase over its predecessor. 2011's Transformers: Dark of the Moon--first film in the series to be released in 3D--shattered expectations by tallying $172.3 million--a 175% increase over ROTF and a 362% increase over the first film. Let's do some hypothetical math: if the Quantum of Solace-to-Skyfall increase matches the Transformers 1-to-Dark of the Moon increase, then Skyfall would be looking at a solid $57.8 million. If the QOS-Skyfall increase matches the Transformers 1-ROTF increase, then Skyfall would gross $96 million.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

The people of China have more sense than the minions in the USA. I am sure FBF has a thought on this.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

So far it appears Asia has kept it in perspective when Britain had not.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:The people of China have more sense than the minions in the USA. I am sure FBF has a thought on this.
China or US, they're no different. They made a deal with the devil. What does that mean? The classic Bond is over PERMANENTLY. Seriously, you might as well have these guys as the next Bonds. Maybe not after DC but after a black or Asian Bond.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

If you want robots FBF, THIS is the ideal choice as Bond: http://www.robotliving.com/wp-content/u ... 2_2004.jpg Do you know where it comes from?
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:If you want robots FBF, THIS is the ideal choice as Bond: http://www.robotliving.com/wp-content/u ... 2_2004.jpg Do you know where it comes from?
Lost in Space, correct?
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Correct as usual FBF. YOU.......know your onions :!: