Skyfall - 5 Oscar nominations

A place for discussion of all Bond 23/Skyfall related news and rumors
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Re: Skyfall - 5 Oscar nominations

Post by FormerBondFan »

The Saint 007 wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:Brosnan's Bonds (while I greatly enjoy them and I still do) explain Babs' laziness while DC's Bonds explain Babs arrogance and pretentiousness of seeing herself that she's better than anyone else. Saint 007, what's your take?
Barbara couldn't handle her father's style of Bond all that well, and really didn't know where to go with the series. So after Die Another Day, the classic formula is deemed as terrible and outdated, Brosnan (having reached the end of his four film contract) was sent off, and the series was rebooted to what is supposedly more artistic and superior than the so very awful classic Bond. But yet, classic Bond suddenly isn't so awful when the producers need get out of trouble, and I'm sure they love how well that 50th Anniversary Blu-ray set is doing. :wink:

In my opinion, it's the producers that should have been rebooted, not the series. And the constant use of Die Another Day as a security blanket is getting old. So you messed up. Big deal. Get better writers, a better director, etc, and try to improve on the next film. Don't be so quick to just hastily throw away 40 years of cinematic history.
Plus, Babs screwed Pierce up and got away with it, leaving him to be bashed like it's his fault.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

FormerBondFan wrote:Skyfall got 5 nominations while none of Pierce's Bonds got any. What does that tell you?
I've seen a few responses to this quote suggesting the usual "it's because Brosnan's Bond films were terrible". But going by that logic, that would make most of the Bond films terrible, right? Let's be honest, the Bond series has never really been known for getting lots of Oscar attention, and whenever it does, it's usually for things like technical effects or the title song. Just because a Bond film doesn't get nominations/win awards, doesn't mean it's terrible.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

The Saint 007 wrote:Let's be honest, the Bond series has never really been known for getting lots of Oscar attention, and whenever it does, it's usually for things like technical effects or the title song.
And you know why Babs The B1tch tries to surround herself with Oscar nominees/winners and other great popular talents for Skyfall. And this is something she has not done when Pierce was Bond. Saint 007, does that sound very unfair? To me, it is.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

FormerBondFan wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:Let's be honest, the Bond series has never really been known for getting lots of Oscar attention, and whenever it does, it's usually for things like technical effects or the title song.
And you know why Babs The B1tch tries to surround herself with Oscar nominees/winners and other great popular talents for Skyfall. And this is something she has not done when Pierce was Bond. Saint 007, does that sound very unfair? To me, it is.
Since the reboot, it seems as though Barbara is ashamed of the older Bond films. The new Bond films are being made more artsy and try to distance themselves from the supposedly inferior/outdated Bonds of the past.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but here's a list of the Bond films that received Oscar nominations/awards: http://www.bondmovies.com/oscar.shtml. Again, these nominations/awards were mostly given for technical effects or title songs. But regardless of all this, it simply comes down to whether you, the viewer, found the film enjoyable and entertaining. As I said before, just because a Bond film doesn't get any Oscar recognition, doesn't mean it's bad.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

The Saint 007 wrote:Since the reboot, it seems as though Barbara is ashamed of the older Bond films. The new Bond films are being made more artsy and try to distance themselves from the supposedly inferior/outdated Bonds of the past.
If she wanted to surround herself with the Oscar people and other great talents, she could have done that when Pierce was Bond even though it's not the best idea in the world.
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but here's a list of the Bond films that received Oscar nominations/awards: http://www.bondmovies.com/oscar.shtml. Again, these nominations/awards were mostly given for technical effects or title songs.
I'm willing to bet those minions are still full of themselves that Skyfall got nominations even though they're part of technical categories.
As I said before, just because a Bond film doesn't get any Oscar recognition, doesn't mean it's bad.
Being a fan of franchises like Star Wars and Harry Potter, was I still happy that the movies (most if not all) from those series got nominated in the technical category but not in the major category (even though Episode 4 got nominated for Best Supporting Actor and Best Picture)? That would be a yes. Why? The Oscars is said to be highest honor you would ever get in show business. It's a big name award, and a lot of people wanted to see their favorite movie attached to that.

We all know bad films get Oscar nominations. Still, I defended the big name award.....until last Thursday when Skyfall got 5 nominations. What I can say now is that Oscar is more nothing but a JOKE, and the same can be said with the Golden Globes. The reason? Is it because talents like Chris Nolan don't get the recognition? Well, it's a lot more than that as the Academy is willing to nominate arrogant and pretentious people (who think they're better than anyone else) and/or their works, and we know Babs The B1tch is one of these pretentious monsters. She may not get the nominations herself, but her subjects did. I'm willing to bet that she must very happy that Skyfall got nominated. If Skyfall got one Oscar nomination in the technical category, she would still be happy, and the same can be said for the minions. That being said, you might as diversify the Bond role from now on as if a DC Bond movie can get nomination in the technical category, why not a Bond movie starring a minorities or a freak in the likes of Marty Feldman as Bond? To hell with James Bond and the Oscars........and the Golden Goblin Awards. If I am to watch these awards again, then send those minorities or other direct opposites.

Saint 007, do you think Pierce an Oscar nomination as he has been overlooked for many years? Or he's too good for that as the Oscar is too of a joke these days. As for my views on this, I don't know what to say anymore.
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

FormerBondFan wrote:Saint 007, do you think Pierce an Oscar nomination as he has been overlooked for many years? Or he's too good for that as the Oscar is too of a joke these days. As for my views on this, I don't know what to say anymore.
Oscars are sometimes awarded to people who really don't deserve them. Thomas Newman's score for Skyfall gets nominated, while John Barry received no nominations for his Bond scores. That's not right, in my opinion, because John Barry defined the sound of James Bond, and was part of the magic that made the series so special. I think Thomas Newman gets a nomination most likely because of favouritism.

In regards to Brosnan, I haven't seen some of his most recent films yet. My cousin is a fan of Brosnan, and used to bring over some of the movies to watch like The Thomas Crown Affair, Dante's Peak, The Tailor Of Panama, and others. I've seen some of the Remington Steele episodes too. I like Brosnan and think he's a pretty good actor. And yes, he should get Oscar recognition, but there's many times where actors/actresses get overlooked, unfortunately.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Seems everyone forgets about MGW, who has always been behind shaking up the franchise since he became a writer in the 80s, being a firm believer that the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is a completely false way to go about things. And going by the success Skyfall has gotten, it seems to be working for him.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

stockslivevan wrote:Seems everyone forgets about MGW, who has always been behind shaking up the franchise since he became a writer in the 80s, being a firm believer that the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is a completely false way to go about things. And going by the success Skyfall has gotten, it seems to be working for him.
After 7 years of the Craig reboot lets hope MGW feels it's time to shake things up again and ditch Craig and change the style of the films. :wink:
Bring back Bond!
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

FormerBondFan wrote:Plus, Babs screwed Pierce up and got away with it, leaving him to be bashed like it's his fault.

Partly, it is. He was more than happy enough to say his lines and collect his pay. His contribution? Suggesting Bond should strighten his tie underwater in TWINE. Staggering. Switching from Brosnan to Craig, is switching from one greatest hits Bond to another, just change the measurements slightly.
Barry Niven
Lieutenant

Post by Barry Niven »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:
Blowfeld wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:Brosnan's Bonds (while I greatly enjoy them and I still do) explain Babs' laziness while DC's Bonds explain Babs arrogance and pretentiousness of seeing herself that she's better than anyone else. Saint 007, what's your take?
Barbara couldn't handle her father's style of Bond all that well, and really didn't know where to go with the series. So after Die Another Day, the classic formula is deemed as terrible and outdated, Brosnan (having reached the end of his four film contract) was sent off, and the series was rebooted to what is supposedly more artistic and superior than the so very awful classic Bond. But yet, classic Bond suddenly isn't so awful when the producers need get out of trouble, and I'm sure they love how well that 50th Anniversary Blu-ray set is doing. :wink:

In my opinion, it's the producers that should have been rebooted, not the series. And the constant use of Die Another Day as a security blanket is getting old. So you messed up. Big deal. Get better writers, a better director, etc, and try to improve on the next film. Don't be so quick to just hastily throw away 40 years of cinematic history.
I wonder if Dana Broccoli's death in February 2004 did not have more to do with the changes since.
I think Barbara Broccoli did not like the old fun Bond series. Which is why when she gained control after Dana Broccoli's death she cast some grim ugly bloke as Bond, hired lots of pretentious directors, screenwriters etc that she knows and rebooted the Bond series into the mind-numbingly boring, joyless modern spy thriller series it is today.
This pretty much confirms what I've always suspected about the downward trajectory of the Bond series. That once the Old Guard died off, the traditional values of pure escapist entertainment that were held dear in the Classic James Bond movies would be lost forever. And in their place, the stench of pretentious bull$#!+ by smug, self-satisfied, fad-chasing, award-seeking, critic-pleasing, attention-whoring, snotty elitists who think they're too "cool", over-educated and "enlightened" to be associated with such archaic ideals that comes from having lived in the real world like their elders did.

I guess that with Babs inheriting the whole thing without having actually worked for it like her father did in building it up, that total lack of understanding or appreciation for it made it easier for such ego and control-freak issues to destroy it like a spoiled brat. Pretty pathetic, actually.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Again, Babs isn't the only one calling the shots. Why is there so much emphasis on her alone when people forget Michael G. Wilson also has a substantial amount of control over the franchise? Even his own children are already working with EON.
katied

Post by katied »

Babs not the only one calling the shots? I don't buy it. :down:
Barry Niven
Lieutenant

Post by Barry Niven »

Me neither. And as for this insistence on shifting the blame/credit towards Michael G. Wilson, what ALSO seems to be forgotten is that he worked FOR his stepfather Cubby Broccoli when he was co-writer/co-producer and facilitator, not "with" him as an actual equal like a Harry Saltzman. Which meant that Cubby had to have overruled Wilson's disregard for the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" edict, along with Cubby's correct decision NOT to turn The Living Daylights into a "reboot" that Wilson favored. If anything, Babs' control has enabled Wilson to green-light old ideas that were terribly flawed the first time but now painted as a "bold statement of intent" for their (re. Babs') "new vision". Humph.

When Wilson's own kids eventually rise up in EON, they'll all just be working for Babs, not with her.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

How much of the CR reboot was Babs green lighting MGW's ideas if at all and how much was it the popular turn in movies to reboot

MGW is employe of the decade but what say does the other partner have, Saltzman worked with Cubby right, but why does MGM/Sony/whoever go along like they have no ideas of their own. Craig from what he said decided everything about Skyfall there was little need for Babs and MGW or MGM.
............ :007:
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

I'm not really "blaming" anyone for something bad because I actually like SF. I just find it odd how many seem to only focus on Babs and pretend that Mike is locked up in some dungeon and that he has no say on anything. Based on what? Babs gunning for Craig during casting? You'll need to do better than that. If Cubby could see what Mike and Babs did today, I doubt he would be too upset because the films have been successful after his death, especially SKYFALL. Cubby was never against tinkering with the formula either, otherwise a movie like LICENCE TO KILL would have never happened. Still, at the time he didn't think a reboot was necessary. Doesn't make it wrong, that was just his opinion at the time.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

MGW is a hibernating dolt who shows up at press conferences and mocks his half sister's lust to see DC shirtless and she admits it's her wish to see DC like that. It's a sick set of circumstances to cast a pleomorphic simian as Bond and have the minions act like THIS is what Fleming had in mind.
katied

Post by katied »

MGW is just there because he's Babs' brother. I don't really think he has all that much say. Maybe he did at one point. Not now. It's obvious who wears the pants in that family. :cuss:
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

katied wrote:MGW is just there because he's Babs' brother. I don't really think he has all that much say. Maybe he did at one point. Not now. It's obvious who wears the pants in that family. :cuss:
Prove it.
katied

Post by katied »

It's pretty obvious MGW hasn't had much of anything to do with the Bond films except nod his head and agree with Babs(who is his little sister- WTF!)
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

How is it exactly "obvious"? What is it that makes it "obvious"? It just sounds like a myth that has carried on over at DCINB over and over so much that you all now believe it to be a fact.