Skyfall - 5 Oscar nominations

A place for discussion of all Bond 23/Skyfall related news and rumors
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Re: Skyfall - 5 Oscar nominations

Post by The Sweeney »

stockslivevan wrote:How is it exactly "obvious"? What is it that makes it "obvious"? It just sounds like a myth that has carried on over at DCINB over and over so much that you all now believe it to be a fact.
I'm wondering why MGW gets such bad press on this too. I don't believe for a second that he hated the decision to go with Craig, but was bullied into it by his half-sister, and now just sits quietly on the sidelines fuming that Craig is Bond, and wishing it was someone else.

From interviews I've seen, MGW seems more than very pleased with Craig as Bond. I too think this is just a myth, a rumour, that is now believed to be gospel truth. There is no evidence anywhere to prove otherwise, unless someone wishes to correct me on this.
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger, OHMSS, FRWL, The Living Daylights

Post by 007 »

There is a simple test for who is really in charge. MGW has said more than once that with Bond you make a change when you are doing ok and don't really have to. It was his explanation for dumping Brosnan despite the grosses being fine. So if Craig is Bond for the next 10 years until he looks like a wrinkled prune then Barbara is in charge and if DC is dumped sooner than expected for a reboot then MGW still has a lot of power. Guess which scenario my money is on. :|
"I’m looking for Commander Bond and not an overgrown stunt-man." - Ian Fleming
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

007 wrote:There is a simple test for who is really in charge. MGW has said more than once that with Bond you make a change when you are doing ok and don't really have to. It was his explanation for dumping Brosnan despite the grosses being fine. So if Craig is Bond for the next 10 years until he looks like a wrinkled prune then Barbara is in charge and if DC is dumped sooner than expected for a reboot then MGW still has a lot of power. Guess which scenario my money is on. :|
Not sure about this. The change made when Moore was Bond in AVTAK needed to happen. He was way too old by then, so the change wasn't made when the going was good.

Likewise, the awful slating DAD got, from press and fans alike, proved the franchise wasn't that well then either, so again change needed to happen.
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger, OHMSS, FRWL, The Living Daylights

Post by 007 »

Cubby was calling the shots in 1985 so MGW's apparent method only came into play from the nineties onwards when he was (apparently) now running the franchise jointly with Babs. So if he's got any clout and believes in his own theory then we can expect a reboot and new actor before too long. :D By the way, I'm not pretending it's much of a Bond film or anything, but Die Another Day actually got decent reviews when it came out. The British press never slag off a Bond film on arrival and I remember Harry Knowles raving over it and a huge thread on Cbn declaring it was the best Bond film ever.
"I’m looking for Commander Bond and not an overgrown stunt-man." - Ian Fleming
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Doesn't matter, Brosnan's time was up. He had four films under his belt and all were successful money-wise but that doesn't mean a fifth film was mandatory. If EON wants to part ways with Craig after Bond 24, that's their prerogative. They were able to move onto further success after Brosnan, and they likely will after Craig is finished.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Adele is going to sing live at the oscars. Prettying the reason she was invited/Nominated.

What's happening with Connery ? Any news on his participation
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote: What's happening with Connery ? Any news on his participation
Connery has long been profoundly ungrateful for the part that made his name, and I don't expect that to change any time soon. I love watching him on screen, whether as Bond or elsewhere, but I don't much like him as a person. He comes across as whiny, arrogant and self-entitled.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Much of sir Sean's disdain towards Bond appears to from his belief he was cheated / underpaid for his contributions to Bond.

I can't see him attending if only because he already refused so many generous offers to attend events.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:Much of sir Sean's disdain towards Bond appears to from his belief he was cheated / underpaid for his contributions to Bond.
What, like the record paycheque he received for DAF?
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Another movie site is reporting all six Bonds will be on stage for the Oscars. But reading down it still only rumor. IMO Lazenby and Connery are the two hardest to get Moore and Dalton are pals with MGW and Babs, Brosnan might be pissed but he wants to work so he will welcome the publicity.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I think it's best if Pierce doesn't attend.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

FormerBondFan wrote:I think it's best if Pierce doesn't attend.
Why shouldn't he?
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

For working actor (not retired like Connery ). It got to be worth millions in free publicity to be invited on stage.

Just watch I'd bet everyone who wants a job Brosnan , dalton, Moore,( Lazenby ?) will suddenly get more job offers
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Would definitely bring a lot of good attention. Connery should just do this as a way of parting on good terms, after that leave it all behind. Anyone is a fool to not be somewhat proud of being part of a legacy that has lasted half as long as all of cinema.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

stockslivevan wrote:Would definitely bring a lot of good attention. Connery should just do this as a way of parting on good terms, after that leave it all behind. Anyone is a fool to not be somewhat proud of being part of a legacy that has lasted half as long as all of cinema.
I'm not sure he cares. He did attend the event in his honor in 2006, but nothing since then.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

I want a pie fight in Bond 24, The Property Of The Green Vegetable.
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

bjmdds wrote:I want a pie fight in Bond 24, The Property Of The Green Vegetable.

It'd break up the monotony, that's for d@mn sure! :lol:
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol: