Bondmania is Back! Skyfall Biggest Ever Release for Sony

A place for discussion of all Bond 23/Skyfall related news and rumors
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Bondmania is Back! Skyfall Biggest Ever Release for Sony

Post by The Sweeney »

Sam Mendes’ Skyfall continues its unstoppable box office run, as the 23rd James Bond has officially become Sony’s biggest film at the worldwide box office, beating Spider-Man 3. The film has also passed The Dark Knight Rises internationally.

Sony, MGM and Eon’s James Bond hit added $20.3m internationally to reach $656.6m, and a number one North American haul of $11m for $261.6m to overtake Sony’s previous best of $890m set by Spider-Man 3.

http://www.filmnav.co.uk/2012/12/09/bon ... -for-sony/
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Re: Bondmania is Back! Skyfall Biggest Ever Release for Sony

Post by FormerBondFan »

Sweenster, you minions got DC's Bond while we Anti-Craig rebels got Abrams' Trek. I hope Into Darkness will kick your Skyfall's @$$ into Kim Jong-il's grave in the US.
The Sweeney
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

FormerBondFan wrote:Sweenster, you minions got DC's Bond while we Anti-Craig rebels got Abrams' Trek. I hope Into Darkness will kick your Skyfall's @$$ into Kim Jong-il's grave in the US.
There is no battle for me, FBF. You are the guys at war, not me. I couldn't really care less what beats SF at the BO now. The film has done well enough to guarantee Bond 24 - that's all I really cared about.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

FBF lets go round to this Sweeney minion's house and pour custard through his letterbox. :twisted: :twisted:
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:FBF lets go round to this Sweeney minion's house and pour custard through his letterbox. :twisted: :twisted:
I'll be waiting....with a bowl of chopped bananas under the letterbox. :twisted:
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Not sure if I would consider Skyfall's success as on the same level of BondMania during the 1960's. I think the financial success of Craig's Bond films may have reached its peak.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

The Sweeney wrote:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:FBF lets go round to this Sweeney minion's house and pour custard through his letterbox. :twisted: :twisted:
I'll be waiting....with a bowl of chopped bananas under the letterbox. :twisted:
You make a big Christmas trifle and FBF will bring his Steven Seagal DVD collection. :cheers:
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

The Saint 007 wrote:Not sure if I would consider Skyfall's success as on the same level of BondMania during the 1960's. I think the financial success of Craig's Bond films may have reached its peak.
Not a bad peak to reach.....once its run comes to an end. It may well top TB, which means its peak is the peak of all Bond films. Doesn't get any better than that.
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:
You make a big Christmas trifle and FBF will bring his Steven Seagal DVD collection. :cheers:
Sounds good to me. And we all have to watch a Bond film on Christmas Day (I'm guessing which 3 Bond films you guys won't want to watch.... :twisted:)
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

The Sweeney wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:Not sure if I would consider Skyfall's success as on the same level of BondMania during the 1960's. I think the financial success of Craig's Bond films may have reached its peak.
Not a bad peak to reach.....once its run comes to an end. It may well top TB, which means its peak is the peak of all Bond films. Doesn't get any better than that.
But now it's all going to slowly go downhill from here.
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

The Saint 007 wrote: But now it's all going to slowly go downhill from here.
Here we go again with the doom and gloom predictions. There is no evidence to support this theory.
On the contrary, I predict Bond 24 to equal SF, if not actually surpass it.

I predicted correct with SF. Do you guys here fancy your chances betting against me again..... :lol:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

The Sweeney wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:Sweenster, you minions got DC's Bond while we Anti-Craig rebels got Abrams' Trek. I hope Into Darkness will kick your Skyfall's @$$ into Kim Jong-il's grave in the US.
There is no battle for me, FBF. You are the guys at war, not me. I couldn't really care less what beats SF at the BO now. The film has done well enough to guarantee Bond 24 - that's all I really cared about.
Let's see how Into Darkness performs at the US box office, shall we?
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

The Sweeney wrote:
Here we go again with the doom and gloom predictions. There is no evidence to support this theory.

I predicted correct with SF. Do you guys here fancy your chances betting against me again..... :lol:
Ebenezer Sweeney, how can I have any holiday spirit when you spoil my non optimistic outlook for Craig's future Bond films? :( Maybe Bond 24 will surpass Skyfall, or maybe it won't. Connery and Moore reached their peak at their fourth Bond film before they started to decline, so it could be the same for Craig, but we'll just have to wait and see.
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

The Saint 007 wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:

Ebenezer Sweeney, how can I have any holiday spirit when you spoil my non optimistic outlook for Craig's future Bond films? :( Maybe Bond 24 will surpass Skyfall, or maybe it won't. Connery and Moore reached their peak at their fourth Bond film before they started to decline, so it could be the same for Craig, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Bah! Humbug!! :twisted:
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

The Sweeney wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:

Bah! Humbug!! :twisted:
One night you're going to get a visit from the five classic Bond actors. :wink:

Gala Brand
Lieutenant

Post by Gala Brand »

Deakins won best Cinematography award from Los Angles Film Critics. If Skyfall gets an academy award nomination for Best Picture, you could add another $100-125 million to its grosses.

And we still have China to go.
Bejams
New Recruit

Post by Bejams »

Who says that the new Bond movie would not have been a hit without Daniel Craig and made more like the olduns?? Craig has turkeys outside Bond. I reckon Bond is popular and any Bond movie would have been a hit................
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Bejams wrote:Who says that the new Bond movie would not have been a hit without Daniel Craig and made more like the olduns?? Craig has turkeys outside Bond. I reckon Bond is popular and any Bond movie would have been a hit................
If Bond movies starring DC are hits, why not Bond movies starring a black or an Asian?
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Funny how the sentiment changes from "SF will not be a hit because it has Craig" to "SF is only a hit because of Bond, nothing to do with Craig".
Bejams wrote:Who says that the new Bond movie would not have been a hit without Daniel Craig and made more like the olduns?? Craig has turkeys outside Bond. I reckon Bond is popular and any Bond movie would have been a hit................
So what you're saying is that it really doesn't matter who plays Bond. The Moore films were only successful because they had Bond. The Brosnan films were only successful because they had Bond.

I disagree. Craig has not had a big hit outside of Bond so far, but that doesn't prove that he's not a popular Bond.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The Sweeney wrote: I predicted correct with SF. Do you guys here fancy your chances betting against me again..... :lol:
In our defence, our predictions were based on actual data, namely the performance of previous Bond movies, whereas "the Olympics and Adele and the 50th anniversary are gonna make Skyfall gross a billion dollars" sounds like something an over-enthusiastic PR person would post. As it turned out, the prediction based on wishful thinking turned out to be the correct one whereas the more empirically-based predictions turned out to be over-cautious. But we shouldn't feel too bad, SF's gross took even Box Office Mojo by surprise, and they track box office data for a living.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig