Skyfall Opens No.1 in 25 Markets and Smashes UK Records

A place for discussion of all Bond 23/Skyfall related news and rumors
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Skyfall Opens No.1 in 25 Markets and Smashes UK Records

Post by The Sweeney »

Sony Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer’s Skyfall, the 23rd film in the James Bond series, opened in 25 markets and grossed a staggering $77.7 million, No.1 everywhere.

Setting the pace was of course the UK, which opened to an enormous estimated $32.4 million (£20.1M). Smashing the all-time Saturday attendance record, this is the biggest opening of 2012 and the biggest 2D Friday-to-Sunday opening weekend in history here, and the 2nd biggest all-time Friday-to-Sunday opening weekend, behind just the 3D Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2.

http://www.filmnav.co.uk/2012/10/30/sky ... k-records/
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Re: Skyfall Opens No.1 in 25 Markets and Smashes UK Records

Post by Omega »

Smashing the all-time Saturday attendance record
How many is the attendance record now?

Strange to break the record but not the biggest money I'm starting to think the US is the cheapest place to see movies you guys are getting taken to the cleaners.
............ :007:
Gala Brand
Lieutenant

Post by Gala Brand »

Skyfall sets a Monday box office record in the UK. Total worldwide box office now approaching $100 million after four days.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.as ... r-mov-news
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Gala Brand wrote:Skyfall sets a Monday box office record in the UK. Total worldwide box office now approaching $100 million after four days.

Looks like we may have to send in the freaks afterall.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Gala Brand wrote:Skyfall sets a Monday box office record in the UK. Total worldwide box office now approaching $100 million after four days.

Looks like we may have to send in the freaks afterall.
That is, after Craig sets a new record for the most Bond films, which we'll never hear the end of if it does happen. :x
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Four years since the last Bond and no other big films out at the moment. Of course Skyfall was going to do well. I think that anyone could be playing Bond and it would do well!
Bring back Bond!
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

carl stromberg wrote:Four years since the last Bond and no other big films out at the moment. Of course Skyfall was going to do well. I think that anyone could be playing Bond and it would do well!
I said all along Skyfall would be massive, despite who is playing 007. Olympics, Adele, Bond 50, glowing reviews.

I don't think Skyfall will beat Thunderball, but it will be up there near the top when it's over.
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

The Sweeney wrote:
carl stromberg wrote:Four years since the last Bond and no other big films out at the moment. Of course Skyfall was going to do well. I think that anyone could be playing Bond and it would do well!
I said all along Skyfall would be massive, despite who is playing 007. Olympics, Adele, Bond 50, glowing reviews.

I don't think Skyfall will beat Thunderball, but it will be up there near the top when it's over.
Near the top is still a tall order. Beating the Octopussy 1983 Box Office is easy. The Bond franchise has a long history with a lot of good admissions, when it starts winding down I'll do some adjustments and see where Skyfall falls.

Of the markets out so far only two stand out.
The UK is incredibly strong (around £28.6M in 5 days), today will/could be an admissions record.
Brazil is the other market I'd watch, followed by China. Between these three markets it could push Skyfall one way or the other. What will tell the story is second and third weekend drop off.

Looking at the other markets some have dropped behind, various reasons for that except the admission numbers have gone down in quite a few, some are keeping pace all things considered but not showing the same enthusiasm as they had previously. But like I said the next weekends will tell us more, they can make up the ground and/or follow the pattern those markets had before.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Hey have there been any new stories with a more firm number for the budget?
shaken not stirred
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, the spy who loved Me, the world is not enough, goldfinger, live and let die.
Favorite Movies: Iron man,Iron man 2, avengers, goldeneye, dark city, back to the future, live and let die.

Post by shaken not stirred »

Great such happy news _./// , more non bond for Me not to enjoy..how the miserable have spoken.
Bond....James bond....Rest in peace (1964-2002)
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Sorry Jetters the more I look a the numbers the UK is the only bright spot. Luckily it's big enough to gloss over the details of the smaller picture.

[s]South Korea might be your only hero.[/s] (Nope only added less than 400k in attendance)

China could still be a player.

No Silver Bullet here.
Last edited by Mazer Rackham on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Should be interesting to see how well this does in the US. Will the lukewarm response to QOS still linger for the yanks enough to not consider seeing SF?
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

stockslivevan wrote:Should be interesting to see how well this does in the US. Will the lukewarm response to QOS still linger for the yanks enough to not consider seeing SF?
Hey Monty ! :cheers:
To me the real question is will Twilight and the Hobbit cripple the take.

Thing about Bond is the audience is fairly solid, around the world. I'm talking going back to DAD the numbers who attend are nearly the same as today, market per market.
If Skyfall can hold better in the foreign markets it has a chance of beating expectations, the UK can add up to $100m and have almost no impact on what the total ends up as. At least as far as our expectations go.
katied

Post by katied »

They're doing their darndest to get people interested.There's a article on Bond in the most recent Entertainment Weekly(I only bought it because I needed something to read on a short flight from Las Vegas to San Diego.)
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

katied wrote:They're doing their darndest to get people interested.
What studio doesn't?
katied

Post by katied »

Well, yes, but this is a movie that..quite frankly..looks cr@p. True, we've been getting reports of good reviews...BUT,there have been a few negative. The reactions to the negative ones are why I don't bother with the fanboy boards anymore. :?
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

It was lensed by Deakins, therefore it can't look like crap. :P
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Mazer Rackham wrote:Hey have there been any new stories with a more firm number for the budget?
Los Angeles Times says "about $200 million." Not sure how firm that is:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mo ... 8763.story
bjamesobrad
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball, Goldeneye, The World Is Not Enough, Goldfinger, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies, You Only Live Twice, Die Another Day, Dr. No, The Living Daylights, Live And Let Die, For Your Eyes Only, The Spy Who Loved Me (order subject to change based on mood)
Favorite Movies: The Man With No Name Trilogy, Heat, The Dark Knight, Unforgiven, Star Wars, Cobra

Post by bjamesobrad »

Napoleon Solo wrote:
Mazer Rackham wrote:Hey have there been any new stories with a more firm number for the budget?

Plus the money they spent on promotion is the most I have seen since Die Another Day, with it being the 50th and all.
Rest in Peace
James Bond
November 14, 2006
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Napoleon Solo wrote:

There are three schools of thought on this, first is take EON at their word -it cost the same as QOS- which divides into camps A & B, A believes the 200m QOS budget while Camp B believes the $230m from a reliable publication.

Then there is those who believe the budget is a percentage of the ad revenue as was reported before EON's Press conference. Around $150m.

Everyone seems to be using a different number. Maybe when it hits the US they'll answer some of our questions.

Most interesting thing about that story dated yesterday is they've gone back on the writers/Bond 24 plans.

Code: Select all

There are no immediate plans for a 24th Bond film. Broccoli and Wilson say they would like to plunge back in.

But they and writers also know they need to be careful. “The bull's-eye for being original,” Purvis said, “seems to get narrower each time out.”
This guy has to know the news about Logan, so did he play it safe and this is a old interview from before the weekend or is the the most recent word from the mouths of EON.

With star Wars looking at 2015 I'd tell EON to get on the job, Disney might put it in Bond's November spot, traditionally it's May for Star Wars but this is new company and they might need the extra months to get it ready and want to leave the Avengers Two the summer. They might also steal Craig away by casting him as Soda, Yoda's older brothers :twisted:
:cheers: :cheers: