Sweeney's Review of Skyfall

A place for discussion of all Bond 23/Skyfall related news and rumors
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Sweeney's Review of Skyfall

Post by The Sweeney »

Just got back from Leicester Square after seeing Skyfall, and it is truly amazing. I know everyone here won't want to hear this, and I doubt any of you will like Skyfall either, although I can guess you will probably like this better than Craig's previous 2 films.

All the traditional elements return in this film, modernised, updated, and they all work. The humour has returned, but never once did I think it was used inappropriately, or used in a cheesy way.

When the Aston Martin DB5 made its appearance, it was received with a huge round of applause in the audience - something I've not witnessed before in a cinema, and the last 5 minutes of the movie will put a smile on your face if nothing else, as it celebrates all what has gone before for the past 50 years.

There are plenty of nods to previous Bond films, but again done in such a nice, effective way, it puts both DAD and QoS to shame.

All the characters work - M (surprisingly), Q (surprisingly) and Moneypenny (very surprisingly). Bardem is without doubt one of the best villains of the entire franchise, and the script is the strongest of the entire franchise.

All the talk of Oscar nominations is entirely justified. This is the best Bond film. I may sound like I'm overreacting, and my opinion may wane over time, but I was blown over by what I saw this evening. Truly amazing film.

Finally to Craig. Yes, he looks old in this film, and no I don't like the short hair. But my God he puts in a hell of a performance, and there are a few moments when I felt truly sorry for the character of Bond, and understood him far more than any previous film. This was close to getting in Bond's head, the same way Fleming did with the books. The opening is loosely based on YOLT and TMWTGG.

The film is nicely paced, beautifully shot, and for the first time I understood all the characters I've seen over the years - Bond, M, Q and Moneypenny. This film will be a very hard act to follow.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: Sweeney's Review of Skyfall

Post by bjmdds »

If you can relate to these characters as Bond material with the redefining of their collective looks and roles, good luck to you. It's just not Bond any longer Sweeney. Those of you in Cr-egg's court who long for psycho-melodrama in a Bond film are in your own dimension. I am glad you had a nice night out any way. See it 4 more more times just to be sure you did not miss any details.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I don't care how great Skyfall is, but if you like it better than DC's two previous Bonds, good for you. BJ and I along with other rebels (or better to say the Unions) will find ourselves another franchise. Speaking of us rebels being Unions, Lincoln releases on Nov 9 here in the US against Skyfall. This will make the Pro-Craigs the Confederates.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

It's all about MI:5 now for me FBF. I hope we get news on it already as well as Pierce's new roles. Purefoy's tv show starts soon too on Fox.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:It's all about MI:5 now for me FBF.

And Indy 5 also.
I hope we get news on it already as well as Pierce's new roles.

One of Pierce's upcoming films will be based on this:

Purefoy's tv show starts soon too on Fox.
I bet Daltonite Toothpaste will totally like this.