Skyfall Discussion (spoilers allowed)

A place for discussion of all Bond 23/Skyfall related news and rumors
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Re: Skyfall Discussion (spoilers allowed)

Post by John P. Drake »

bjmdds wrote:I love MR. It's a fun spaced out ride and that's what a Bond film should be..........not Bolivian water works going dry while looking at an aged side of uncooked beef portray Bond with lemon puckered lips :!:
Too Right, sir. I said the same above.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

JackJamesBond007 wrote: Thank you, Carl Stromberg. Well, I'd say that Craig fans are not Bond fans. They never were. .
Sorry, but I beg to differ witth you there.
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

The Sweeney wrote:
JackJamesBond007 wrote: Thank you, Carl Stromberg. Well, I'd say that Craig fans are not Bond fans. They never were. .
Sweeney, have you ever heard of people who call themselves Bond fans and that was because of Daniel Craig? Yet they hate Sean Connery, yes you heard me right, Sean Connery, and the other actors who played the role? I'm sorry but I've had enough of them, they really have infected every forums page I used to be member of. They said Craig Bond is "Shakespearean" and that he was a "Romeo" to Vesper's "Juliet". I'm sorry but I can't stand someone trying to convert to disavow the previous 20 films and then, treating the franchise like only Mr. Cr-egg existed. I heard you hate Brosnan and Moore, but I never knew why? Can you please elaborate?
The Sweeney
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

JackJamesBond007 wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:
Sweeney, have you ever heard of people who call themselves Bond fans and that was because of Daniel Craig? Yet they hate Sean Connery, yes you heard me right, Sean Connery, and the other actors who played the role? I'm sorry but I've had enough of them, they really have infected every forums page I used to be member of. They said Craig Bond is "Shakespearean" and that he was a "Romeo" to Vesper's "Juliet". I'm sorry but I can't stand someone trying to convert to disavow the previous 20 films and then, treating the franchise like only Mr. Cr-egg existed. I heard you hate Brosnan and Moore, but I never knew why? Can you please elaborate?
I didn't hate Moore as Bond - in fact I really like LALD, TMWTGG and FYEO, and MR is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Brosnan I just thought didn't understand the Fleming character, and I hated all 4 of his movies, but I don't hate Brozza personally. I thought DAD was shockingly bad.
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

The Sweeney wrote:
JackJamesBond007 wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:
I didn't hate Moore as Bond - in fact I really like LALD, TMWTGG and FYEO, and MR is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Brosnan I just thought didn't understand the Fleming character, and I hated all 4 of his movies, but I don't hate Brozza personally. I thought DAD was shockingly bad.
Well, to be honest with you, DAD was a godawful film, I agree with you on that one. But, why hating GoldenEye or Tomorrow Never Dies? And specially TND?
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

JackJamesBond007 wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:
JackJamesBond007 wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:

Well, to be honest with you, DAD was a godawful film, I agree with you on that one. But, why hating GoldenEye or Tomorrow Never Dies? And specially TND?
I just found them cheesy and muddled, without any of the humour and class of the Moore era - even though Brozza's films are often compared as similar to Moore's. They just felt like generic, unmemorable action flicks to me.

The last great Bond movie was LTK, and I didn't like the franchise again until CR.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

I like Pierce Brosnan as Bond, it's just that I think he had more potential than what was shown.

The scene with Bond and Dr. Kaufman in Tomorrow Never Dies, is one of my favourite moments in the Brosnan era. It was simple, yet very effective. But I do wish Dr. Kaufman was the main henchman, since I think he's a more interesting character than the rather generic Stamper.
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

The Sweeney wrote: I just found them cheesy and muddled, without any of the humour and class of the Moore era - even though Brozza's films are often compared as similar to Moore's. They just felt like generic, unmemorable action flicks to me.

The last great Bond movie was LTK, and I didn't like the franchise again until CR.
Well, then, I guess you won't like what I'll post in the near future. I myself am an avid of action sequences. The thing is... I've grown up watching 1980s action movies such as Rambo, Braddock, The Punisher, Robocop, Terminator and many many others. Later, my father introduced me to the late 1960s and 1970s action/crime films such as Dirty Harry series, Death Wish series, Cold Sweat, Get Carter, Bullitt, The Hunter, The Wild Geese and many many other films to name. And of course, I later became interested in the spy media, and my first Bond film that I saw was Thunderball. I extremely loved it. Then, Brosnan's films arrived, completely action packed. If you ask me, I truly loved his first two films (never mind TWINE, as I rate it 6/10) because they had the charismatic Bond feeling, witty one liners ("I beg your pardon, I forgot to knock" in GoldenEye, for instance) and then, it was really classy. I know you couldn't disagree with me more, but that is my opinion over Brosnan's take on Bond. I know he never shared any similarities to Fleming's character, but Connery and Moore didn't do it either, they never imitated Fleming's Bond. Moore created the Simon Templar version of Bond, and Connery's persona was actually based on Bulldog Drummond crossed over with Terence Young's own, just shared the background and the outlines of Fleming's character. Dalton and Lazenby were more close to their source, the former getting the upper hand, because he was a great gentleman. He didn't use Kara Milovy for his own pleasures, he just showed her some love while she was lost in the dark, he treated her like the princess she was. That's why I respect Dalton. But, if you ask me, I'd say GE/TND were perfect for a "modern" take on 007, because Bond, as we know it (not a fan of Fleming's books, to be honest) is supposed to be fantasy, an action fantasy, with 007 himself chasing a supervillain who wants a world domination, a mad General who's trying to nuke off the planet, a comic book-styled escapism is needed in the Bond films, but Craig's era has none of them. He's a far too way exaggerated version of Fleming's character, leaning to the feminism side. As a conclusion of this post, I would have to say that Brosnan is my second favourite Bond, followed by Moore, and then, Dalton. But, of course, my my favourite Bond will always be Sean Connery. He's irreplaceable.
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

JackJamesBond007 wrote:Well, then, I guess you won't like what I'll post in the near future. .
Not all bad, we have a few things in common there. I too love The Wild Geese, Dirty Harry, Get Carter, Bullitt and The Hunter (McQueen is my favourite actor).
And Connery is still my favourite Bond too..... :cheers:
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

The Sweeney wrote:
JackJamesBond007 wrote:Well, then, I guess you won't like what I'll post in the near future. .
Not all bad, we have a few things in common there. I too love The Wild Geese, Dirty Harry, Get Carter, Bullitt and The Hunter (McQueen is my favourite actor).
And Connery is still my favourite Bond too..... :cheers:
Well, then, I hope this would be a new starting point for us. Cheers. :cheers:
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

In reference to Casablanca, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

As I said before, JackJamesBond007, Sweeney is a pretty good guy. We may not always be in agreement, but at least he's able to have constructive Bond related discussions, and you can even joke around with him. It just amazes me how Sweeney manages to put up with our anti-Craig shenanigans, though.
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

The Saint 007 wrote:In reference to Casablanca, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

As I said before, JackJamesBond007, Sweeney is a pretty good guy. We may not always be in agreement, but at least he's able to have constructive Bond related discussions, and you can even joke around with him. It just amazes me how Sweeney manages to put up with our anti-Craig shenanigans, though.
Nice reference to the concluding line in Casablanca, Saint.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

The Saint 007 wrote:I like Pierce Brosnan as Bond, it's just that I think he had more potential than what was shown.

The scene with Bond and Dr. Kaufman in Tomorrow Never Dies, is one of my favourite moments in the Brosnan era. It was simple, yet very effective. But I do wish Dr. Kaufman was the main henchman, since I think he's a more interesting character than the rather generic Stamper.
Now Barbara Broccoli runs Bond it is not inconceivable that Dr Kaufman could be cast as Bond. :D
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:I like Pierce Brosnan as Bond, it's just that I think he had more potential than what was shown.

Now Barbara Broccoli runs Bond it is not inconceivable that Dr Kaufman could be cast as Bond. :D
At least he would be more entertaining than Craig, especially with liners like "I could shoot you from Stuttgart und still create ze proper effect."
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

The Saint 007 wrote:

At least he would be more entertaining than Craig, especially with liners like "I could shoot you from Stuttgart und still create ze proper effect."
Good one, Saint. LOL!! :lol:
Barry Niven
Lieutenant

Post by Barry Niven »

The Saint 007 wrote:

Well, someone who LOOKS like Dr. Kaufman's actor, Vincent Schiavelli, at any rate; the man himself has been dead for seven years, so bringing HIM back is out even if he were another character. Plus, the new regime thinks "odd" henchmen is beneath their "serious" aspirations. How else to explain the unmemorable non-entities that littered the Craig-Bonds vs. the Brosnan period's more traditional (albeit, exaggerated) gallery of leg-crusher Onatopp, pain-unfeeling Renard, and diamond-faced Zao?
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

:shock: QOS Elvis does not rank?!?

MGW recently talked about how there people upset with Pierce because it was seen as going back to the Connery model. I don't know who these people were, of course MGW's recollection is not dependable, he lied under oath in a law suit over the Bond rights in the 1990s, last year he went on about Bond being a antihero :shock: directly contradicting the history of Bond pre 2006.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Blowfeld wrote::shock: QOS Elvis does not rank?!?

MGW recently talked about how there people upset with Pierce because it was seen as going back to the Connery model. I don't know who these people were, of course MGW's recollection is not dependable, he lied under oath in a law suit over the Bond rights in the 1990s, last year he went on about Bond being a antihero :shock: directly contradicting the history of Bond pre 2006.
I was completely shocked when I heard about that.
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

Barry Niven wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:At least he would be more entertaining than Craig, especially with liners like "I could shoot you from Stuttgart und still create ze proper effect."
Well, someone who LOOKS like Dr. Kaufman's actor, Vincent Schiavelli, at any rate; the man himself has been dead for seven years, so bringing HIM back is out even if he were another character. Plus, the new regime thinks "odd" henchmen is beneath their "serious" aspirations. How else to explain the unmemorable non-entities that littered the Craig-Bonds vs. the Brosnan period's more traditional (albeit, exaggerated) gallery of leg-crusher Onatopp, pain-unfeeling Renard, and diamond-faced Zao?
In Skyfall, Craig's Bond did say that his hobby was resurrection. So perhaps he could be of assistance. :wink:

But in all seriousness, the producers will simply have to be replaced if we want any chance of the classic Bond formula to be brought back. Either that, or other series which embrace what made the Bond series so popular come along and disrupt the new direction.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The Saint 007 wrote: But in all seriousness, the producers will simply have to be replaced if we want any chance of the classic Bond formula to be brought back. Either that, or other series which embrace what made the Bond series so popular come along and disrupt the new direction.
It needs to be in the hands of A-list Bond fans, preferably ones who resisted the hype over the reboot. Chris Nolan is the obvious choice, but since the Craig films are pretty much Dark Knight wannabes, I'm not sure he's really the person to put the fun and escapism back into Bond. Steven Moffatt and Mark Gatiss are obviously Bond fans, judging by the amount of Bond references they put in stuff they've written and/or produced, but their experience is mostly in TV. They have also said nice things about Skyfall but I think their work on Doctor Who and Sherlock says more about how they would approach the films than comments on Twitter etc. I think we'd see a return to the more fantastic elements of Bond, but done really well.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig