Skyfall Discussion (spoilers allowed)

A place for discussion of all Bond 23/Skyfall related news and rumors
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Re: Skyfall Discussion (spoilers allowed)

Post by The Sweeney »

Eye Of The Tiger wrote: I've watched Diamonds Are Forever many times. I didn't forget about Wintt and Kidd. But at least they weren't Bond.

I think most people would have issues with Bond being gay, including me. You are not on your own there.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

The Sweeney wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:
Well, I have been seeing some rather suggestive pictures of Bond and Silva, as well as Bond and the new Q creeping up on DeviantArt. Believe it or not, there's even a few groups on the site dedicated to artwork based on the pairing of Bond/Silva and Bond/Q.
Weeeelllll...slash fiction goes back a long way, even for works that had no intentional gay subtext. Holmes/Watson, Kirk/Spock etc.
Exactly. I don't think these kind of cartoons are meant to be taken seriously.
The reason why I mentioned the artwork, is because I've personally never seen that sort of thing done with Bond until now.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

The Saint 007 wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:
Well, I have been seeing some rather suggestive pictures of Bond and Silva, as well as Bond and the new Q creeping up on DeviantArt. Believe it or not, there's even a few groups on the site dedicated to artwork based on the pairing of Bond/Silva and Bond/Q.
Weeeelllll...slash fiction goes back a long way, even for works that had no intentional gay subtext. Holmes/Watson, Kirk/Spock etc.
Exactly. I don't think these kind of cartoons are meant to be taken seriously.
The reason why I mentioned the artwork, is because I've personally never seen that sort of thing done with Bond until now.
Different eras, times, etc. SF is right now in the public eye more than any previous Bond film. It is now up there with TB in terms of BO popularity, the likes I have never seen in my lifetime. Therefore its bound to be getting that much more attention than previous Bond films, good and bad.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

I do think Larry Grayson would have been a wonderful 70's Bond. :D
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

This comes from IMDb's Skyfall trivia:
'Skyfall' has been said to use a large amount of computer-generated imagery, around 500 CGI shots, the most since Die Another Day. A large amount of the visual effects in the film were created by around 850 staff of Technicolor owned post-production house The Moving Picture Company (MPC), 250 in Bangalore and 600 in London. Animators, graphic artists, visual FX technicians and other VFX professionals worked for eight months creating literally thousands of frames, computer animations, graphic insertions and high-end visual effects integrating all the digital content for the movie.
If this is actually true, then it's rather worrisome. I've expressed my dislike for the use of CGI in Bond, because it ruins the tradition of real-life stunts and therefore lowers the memorable/entertainment qualities of the films. Now I know some will point out that Skyfall's CGI is better than Die Another Day's, and that CGI isn't bad if it's used properly. That may be true, but the real-life stunts, nice locations, amazing sets, etc are some of the definitive characteristics of the series, and I don't want it to be ruined by the excessive use of CGI. I guess I could side with CGI being used for certain small effects, but I just hope it doesn't get to the point where the Bond films are practically like video games.
trevanian
New Recruit
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love, The Living Daylights, Licence to Kill
Favorite Movies: 2001: a space odyssey, Twilight's Last Gleaming

Post by trevanian »

Hi, new here. Actually QUANTUM had nearly double the VFX shots of SKYFALL, nearly a thousand. (thing is they go by so fast you can't keep track!)

I wrote tech articles about both of these pics (so I kind of HAD to see them), so that info's straight from the VFX supe on QUANTUM.

I think Craig really pushed this last film way away from any conception of Bond I had from Fleming or John Pearson's Bio of 007, which for me is the only other canon Bond fiction. And he's already so far away from film Bond that ... well, probably preaching to the choir here.

I still haven't figured out whether SF is even worse than CR or not. (I actually didn't mind QUANTUM, just for Tosca and the scene at the end in Russia, which came close to working.) And I can't imagine giving it a second viewing, either (fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.)
bjamesobrad
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball, Goldeneye, The World Is Not Enough, Goldfinger, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies, You Only Live Twice, Die Another Day, Dr. No, The Living Daylights, Live And Let Die, For Your Eyes Only, The Spy Who Loved Me (order subject to change based on mood)
Favorite Movies: The Man With No Name Trilogy, Heat, The Dark Knight, Unforgiven, Star Wars, Cobra

Post by bjamesobrad »

:007:

Welcome Trevanian :cheers:
Rest in Peace
James Bond
November 14, 2006
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Funny thing about Craig is he were to say the names "Cross,Araon Cross" my opinion of him would go up, when he say his name is Bond its like no you're not I met James Bond when Timothy Dalton was playing Bond and your not in the same zip code.

Welcome trevanian :cheers:
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

CraigIS007 wrote:So, 'Skyfall' trounces the $1 billion box-office! :)

Seems like audiences, fans and critics loved the 23rd Bond film and DC in the role he was made for!

Great news!!

:cheers:

Can't wait to own it on Blu Ray come Feb 18th in the UK!
I think you're in the wrong forum. There's not exactly a shortage of pro-Craig Bond forums.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Why do these pro-Craig trolls suddenly post some news about Skyfall's success as though it will annoy us when we have discussed all the box office figures lots of times elsewhere!
Bring back Bond!
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

carl stromberg wrote:Why do these pro-Craig trolls suddenly post some news about Skyfall's success as though it will annoy us when we have discussed all the box office figures lots of times elsewhere!
Human nature, I suppose. The very existance of this site causes some people to get seriously upset.
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

As much as I dislike the Craig era, I can honestly say I would never go to a pro-Craig forum and rain on their parade. I specifically express my thoughts/opinions about Craig and the current direction on this site, since it's obviously the best place to do so.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

The Saint 007 wrote:As much as I dislike the Craig era, I can honestly say I would never go to a pro-Craig forum and rain on their parade. I specifically express my thoughts/opinions about Craig and the current direction on this site, since it's obviously the best place to do so.
Not even IMDB is the best place either (especially on Pierce's page).
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

FormerBondFan wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:As much as I dislike the Craig era, I can honestly say I would never go to a pro-Craig forum and rain on their parade. I specifically express my thoughts/opinions about Craig and the current direction on this site, since it's obviously the best place to do so.
Not even IMDB is the best place either (especially on Pierce's page).
IMDb is quite the looney bin, though. I'm not saying that everyone on that site is bad, but there's a lot of trolls/ignorant people who lurk there. I can only hang around that site for so long, and then I have to leave before the absurdity gets to me. And yes, Brosnan does get quite a bit of hate there, and so does Moore for that matter. But as I've said before, Moore/Brosnan bashing seems to be the cool thing to do on the Internet for some insecure people.

This site isn't complete safe, and there are going to be occasions where Craig fans will try to give you a hard time. But overall, it's still one of the best places for classic Bond fans to freely express their thoughts/opinions about Craig and the new direction.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

The Saint 007 wrote:IMDb is quite the looney bin, though. I'm not saying that everyone on that site is bad, but there's a lot of trolls/ignorant people who lurk there.
The same can be said with other general sites like Youtube.
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

FormerBondFan wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:IMDb is quite the looney bin, though. I'm not saying that everyone on that site is bad, but there's a lot of trolls/ignorant people who lurk there.
The same can be said with other general sites like Youtube.
Yeah, the Internet is full of trolls/ignorant people, but some sites are better than others. Sites with larger communities like YouTube, IGN, or IMDb, are obviously going to have a lot more nonsense, which is why it's probably best to avoid reading the comments most of the time.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

The comments on most Youtube videos are normally offensive.
Bring back Bond!
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

carl stromberg wrote:The comments on most Youtube videos are normally offensive.
In fact, online comments in general are normally offensive depending on sites.
Barry Niven
Lieutenant

Post by Barry Niven »

IMDB is the @!!!**!ing worst of the lot. Besides their empty-headed herd-mentality bull$#!+, they also tend to be apologist, delusional, inflexible phonies who'll latch onto ANY excuse to defend the lamest, inexcusable plot holes just to lord over the so-called "haters" with their self-important posturing. At one point, there was a very reasonable criticism of QoS's awful rip-off/"homage" of The Spy Who Loved Me's GREAT scene of Bond knocking a heavy off a roof for holding onto Bond's tie, only for some pseudo-intellectual twat to claim that QoS's dead bodyguard was "an undercover agent working against Quantum" (WTF? :cuss:) and all sorts of feeble $#!+ about how "just because it wasn't shown or mentioned onscreen (which it wasn't) doesn't mean it didn't count". All any reasonable person can do to preserve their sanity is to just walk away and leave those feebs to dribble all over themselves.
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Barry Niven wrote:IMDB is the @!!!**!ing worst of the lot. Besides their empty-headed herd-mentality bull$#!+, they also tend to be apologist, delusional, inflexible phonies who'll latch onto ANY excuse to defend the lamest, inexcusable plot holes just to lord over the so-called "haters" with their self-important posturing. At one point, there was a very reasonable criticism of QoS's awful rip-off/"homage" of The Spy Who Loved Me's GREAT scene of Bond knocking a heavy off a roof for holding onto Bond's tie, only for some pseudo-intellectual twat to claim that QoS's dead bodyguard was "an undercover agent working against Quantum" (WTF? :cuss:) and all sorts of feeble $#!+ about how "just because it wasn't shown or mentioned onscreen (which it wasn't) doesn't mean it didn't count". All any reasonable person can do to preserve their sanity is to just walk away and leave those feebs to dribble all over themselves.
How was that character an undercover agent working against Quantum? Did the IMDB poster pull that out of thin air?

I also thought it odd when M confronted Bond over that incident in Quantum that Bond doesn't do the obvious and say, "He was alive when I left."