X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Re: Sweeney's Rockin Skyfall Review Thread

Post by Omega »

English Agent wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:
Omega wrote:If there is good new for sweeney its Ebert likes it
Is he a decent name among US reviewers?
EBERT is top dog film reviewer in US..........writes for a Chicago newspaper i believe.
One of the biggest in the US. Had a show for 40 years.
Loves CR, Hated QOS, Loves CR, he'll hate the next he's got to ;) :lol:
............ :007:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

He is a clueless artsy Hollywood fan with major health issues.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

stockslivevan wrote:
Funny that one of those links actually praises CR. :P
Never promised you dyed-in-the-wool Craig hatters, just nube rotten reviews. :wink:

One more from the New Yorker, guess this means they got a generator in the basement.
The director, Sam Mendes, has taken a pop concept and solemnized it with Freud, which is not, perhaps, the best way of turning Bond into grownup entertainment.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

I knew we lost Ebert when he embraced CR, someone pointed out at the time he hated Superman Returns for the same emo camp. No surprise he praises Skyfall, it probably physically pained him to dis QOS.
Some mates tell me I'd like Skyfall better becaue it is more of a traditional Bond film than CR.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Blowfeld wrote:I knew we lost Ebert when he embraced CR, someone pointed out at the time he hated Superman Returns for the same emo camp. No surprise he praises Skyfall, it probably physically pained him to dis QOS.
Some mates tell me I'd like Skyfall better becaue it is more of a traditional Bond film than CR.
Traditional or not, Skyfall is nothing special. It's nothing more than EON's EVIL propaganda.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

I just came back from the IMAX screening. IMHO, it's one of the best Bond films and probably the best since the 1960s. Unlike QOS, it's not ashamed of being a Bond film either.

9/10, but that's just my opinion.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Too bad for them.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

stockslivevan wrote:Too bad for them.
Really? Do you expect it to get more love than the Dark Knight or The Avengers.

But what really is scary and why review may become meaningless is if they give the movie a pass or fresh rating the weirdos leave them alone, if they criticize it the weirdos go after them, it all Dark Knight rises to various degrees depending on how crazy the fans are. I pity the poor reviewer who don't him some Twilight those teenage girls are going to burn their houses down!

My name is Bond, Emo Bond." Is there a 12-step program for whiny, moping, bland Spies? Daniel Craig may fit the part of Bond but after 3 movies its clear he doesn't want to be there.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

You cannot have a "traditional" James Bond movie without James Bond in it.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Omega wrote:
Not more than those two, but maybe more or less on the same level. Certainly more than TDKR for sure. I'm just going by the reception from the crowd at my screening, everyone had as much of a blast at SKYFALL as the crowd did for THE AVENGERS. The difference of course will be that one was targeted at families while the other is targeted at adults so it's not gonna be making the same kind of bank for sure.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:You cannot have a "traditional" James Bond movie without James Bond in it.
The Dark Knight Rises is more like a traditional Bond movie than any of DC's Bonds. Bond-like character in Bale, Q-like character in Morgan Freeman, two leading ladies Miranda Tate and Selina Kyle, larger than life villain (Bane), gadgets, a nice car from Wayne, etc.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Skyfall is not only a better Bond film than The Dark Knight Rises but it also has humor and sensuality, two aspects that have always been Nolan's weak points. If EON ever commits with Nolan for Bond 24, he is really gonna have to step up on those aspects dramatically.
John Drake
Commander
Location: Watching the first twenty James Bond films somewhere...

Post by John Drake »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:You cannot have a "traditional" James Bond movie without James Bond in it.
The Dark Knight Rises is more like a traditional Bond movie than any of DC's Bonds. Bond-like character in Bale, Q-like character in Morgan Freeman, two leading ladies Miranda Tate and Selina Kyle, larger than life villain (Bane), gadgets, a nice car from Wayne, etc.
I actually think Skyfall would have been a good vehicle for Brosnan with the older jaded Bond angle. The return of some more traditional elements would have suited him. Craig looks even more out of place when they try and make it more like a Bond film.
"He is very good-looking" Vesper Lynd
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

stockslivevan wrote:
Omega wrote:
Not more than those two, but maybe more or less on the same level. Certainly more than TDKR for sure. I'm just going by the reception from the crowd at my screening, everyone had as much of a blast at SKYFALL as the crowd did for THE AVENGERS. The difference of course will be that one was targeted at families while the other is targeted at adults so it's not gonna be making the same kind of bank for sure.
I don't expect people not to enjoy the movie, at the start of skyfall the expectations were for better than CR reviews but all moves are going to get bad reviews if they don't you know something is up.

My problem with CR is all because of Dalton,he's the guy I think about when watching that movie and I didn't see him or guy on the screen becoming him.. that and it dragged on and on with the reason for all of it not making a lot of sense. Plenty of people were happy with Craig but then plenty hated Dalton who I like.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

stockslivevan wrote:Skyfall is not only a better Bond film than The Dark Knight Rises but it also has humor and sensuality, two aspects that have always been Nolan's weak points. If EON ever commits with Nolan for Bond 24, he is really gonna have to step up on those aspects dramatically.
But he has to balance the balance those for a Dark Knight sereis, there is some but it's not like the other Batman series or movies he has done.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

John Drake wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:
I actually think Skyfall would have been a good vehicle for Brosnan with the older jaded Bond angle. The return of some more traditional elements would have suited him. Craig looks even more out of place when they try and make it more like a Bond film.
Even in the Bond video games, Craig doesn't quite fit in amongst all the various Bond characters/elements.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

This piece from Charlie Brooker is 3 weeks old now, but I've only just seen it. Apologies for not posting sooner, but I hope you'll agree that an article which compares Skyfall to a roast of Bruce Forsyth, among other things, was worth the wait.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig