Wildlife Photographer in trouble for Skyfall Pics

A place for discussion of all Bond 23/Skyfall related news and rumors
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Wildlife Photographer in trouble for Skyfall Pics

Post by The Sweeney »

You may have seen the many photographs published online over the past few days of Hankley Common, near Elstead, which have been transformed by the arrival of film crews, trailers and marquees involved in the blockbuster movie Skyfall, the latest in the Bond franchise.

These photographs were taken by nature blogger The Foraging Photographer, who had taken many stunning pics of the set while the Bond crew were filming. Well today she has been firmly warned not to take any more photographs of the set.

http://www.filmnav.co.uk/2012/03/17/wil ... fall-pics/
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Re: Wildlife Photographer in trouble for Skyfall Pics

Post by Blowfeld »

I am not sure this is fair Sweeney. I understand the production crew wanting to stop this leaking but honestly do they bother the blokes snapping away in London.
I tried to look up 4(13), I don't see how they can arrest, detain, harass, her (other than the might of movie makers throwing their weight around). I would feel better about this if they give her few quid for her pictures and some credit in making of book (or something).
Weeeeeeell… I don’t know where to start, really. Or indeed where to finish. I arrived at Hankley this morning, with dog and child, friend and dog, expecting our normal walk around the common only to be enlivened by the film shooting. I greeted, in naive innocence, the (lovely) lady on the main security gate, only to have her call after me “…are you [my name]…?”, and tell me that I was in (and had created) a lot of trouble. They kept me there while they radioed the location manager to come and discuss things with me.

As it turns out, I’ve been a wanted woman on Hankley Common since yesterday, when it became apparent that I had breached military byelaw 4(13). On reading and re-reading this byelaw, I can’t say I’m yet entirely clear about how I’ve breached this, but I’m taking them at their word, and certainly the military police were perfectly serious about finding me and arresting me – the policeman I talked to later told me that if they’d found me first I would have been arrested, cuffed and charged. I do wish to extend my apologies to the lady with a cocker spaniel who matched my description, who had some tricky questions to answer this morning!

What did distress me is that I seem to have dropped some of the site crew right in it. This really does upset me, because everyone I’ve spoken to on-site has been absolutely lovely, and I’ve greatly enjoyed having chats with them. I certainly wasn’t trying to get anyone into trouble, nor was I doing anything deliberately surreptitious (except maybe sneaking a bit close to the chapel on Weds, by which time the headstones were already long gone). I have been genuinely enthralled by the development of the set, and the incredible skill displayed therein. I love taking photographs of beautiful things, and, to me, the creation of this fake reality was an amazing thing to witness.

I think I got a bit carried away with the excitement of it all and the enthusiasm of the Bond fans wanting more detail. I didn’t properly consider the fact that the people who were telling me these fascinating titbits were not expecting them to reach such a wide audience. I didn’t expect such a wide audience either! I am genuinely very sorry if I got anyone into trouble. In my opinion, no-one behaved remotely improperly and I’d be most upset if they suffered repercussions due to me sharing stuff on here that was common gossip amongst the Elstead locals and dog walkers.

The upshot of this morning’s events is that I certainly will not be taking any more photographs of the set, nor will I be divulging any more information about the filming or what that indicates about the plot. I have to say that this resulted in me almost chewing my fingers off with frustration over what I saw them filming at the lodge today. Oh my, I can’t tell you how much I want to share the details of what we were all watching through our binoculars!!

Anyhowdyhoo, you poor deprived Bond fans will just have to be content with some older pictures that I took of the set, and some pictures of SHOCK HORROR… NATURE! which was, after all, what my blog was supposed to be in the first place. I must say I’ve had enormous fun doing this blog and riding the unexpected wave of enthusiasm that resulted from the Skyfall stuff. I’d like to say a fond goodbye to y’all, and I hope that just a wee handful of you might continue to visit for pictures and explanations of the stunning beauty we find all around us. :-)

I will include some pictures with this post, and edit it a bit, but mainly I just wanted to get this up there as an apology to anyone I dropped in it with my over enthusiasm.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I'm no legal expert, but I can't see how they can do anything unless she signed a confidentiality agreement.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

For those of us who live outside the U.K., what is this law she is alleged to have broken?
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

I think its Babs being a control freak again....nothing more.
I don't think legally she would really have a leg to stand on.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

[spoil]Image[/spoil]
She's cute I can see why they talked to her.

She did nothing wrong except live there and have a blog with enough traffic to be noticed. The people talking to her and the others living in the area might be doing wrong (Since they are the ones with the NDA) but it sounds like EON had the military police searching for her. F'ing A

Who they hell do they think they are?

I hope this make more news so EON has to apologies plus make the British Military disavows this kind of action. A mall cop doing this sort of thing is one thing which they would be in trouble for (in the US), military police? Jesus.
............ :007:
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

Updated previous quote to reflect the most recent information.

The police were sent after the blogger as well as the MPs.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Is it a military site?
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Omega wrote:[spoil]Image[/spoil]
She's cute I can see why they talked to her.

She did nothing wrong except live there and have a blog with enough traffic to be noticed. The people talking to her and the others living in the area might be doing wrong (Since they are the ones with the NDA) but it sounds like EON had the military police searching for her. F'ing A

Who they hell do they think they are?

I hope this make more news so EON has to apologies plus make the British Military disavows this kind of action. A mall cop doing this sort of thing is one thing which they would be in trouble for (in the US), military police? Jesus.
Let her be the new Moneypenny for Cavil in 2014.
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Hard to feel sorry for these clowns when they are not getting the shakedown from Panamanian gangs -Re:Quark. For Christ sake what is worth this bad publicity? Small time blogger, get the rozza! This isn't wikileaks they are dealing with here, it's just about the most sympathetic people you can find! All EON needs to complete the picture is for Craig to shove granny down on pavement.

Unless the blog was about to spoil M dying or Craig dying then what's the big deal? Was it because they scooped the Sun? :twisted:
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

The Sweeney wrote:I think its Babs being a control freak again....nothing more.
I don't think legally she would really have a leg to stand on.
Wow to me reading this it kind of feels like someone went too far. I'd bet someone got a call asking what in the heck was happening down there then the guy in charge blew his top trying not to get in trouble so he tried to scare whoever was writing about it I doubt Ms Broccoli called the police. I mean this is what happens when locals observe anything its in the local paper, everyone and their cousin is talking about it plus whatever the crew happens to say to the waitress at dinner. It's not a story before the internet made everyone neighbors. :wink:
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Napoleon Solo wrote:For those of us who live outside the U.K., what is this law she is alleged to have broken?
This doesn't exactly answer the question however http://photographernotaterrorist.org/map/ has a map and some information.
Bylaws

Some places have bylaws specifically forbidding photography without permission. Airports usually have a bylaw to this effect. Trafalgar Square, Parliament Square, and the Royal Parks all have bylaws that forbid photography for commercial purposes without a permit but allow amateurs. Generally speaking using a tripod is considered ‘commercial’ and anyone using one is usually swooped upon within seconds by heritage or park wardens.
No idea if this is the case with 4(13), what I thought was 4(13) might only be a very old entry about footpaths. I hope to locate the full byelaw in question.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

It appears that it is a military site: http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/About ... ommons.htm

Remember when we used to laugh at the Greeks for throwing planespotters in jail? And since when do the military police have any jurisdiction over civilians anyway?
Thunderpussy
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, Goldfinger, The spy who loved me,Tomorrow never dies.
Favorite Movies: Jaws, Die hard series,Independance day,The matrix trilogy

Post by Thunderpussy »

Even Bardem is told to stop Smoking on set, I love the last remark about "Grumpy" D Craig . :lol:

Bardem not allowed to smoke on set incase it Blows up.
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

The blogger updated her post. It is Ministry of Defence land (though with public access). The by-law in question apparently prohibits something done for "commercial gain" and she sold some of the photos to the Daily Mail's Web site. She has handled this whole situation in a classy way. She has also been on CBn talking about it.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Thanks Napolleon Solo, I was about to update it. :cheers:

Oddly I did find the whole byelaws in question I didn't post it because I couldn't see how they could prosecute her for violating it. It essential no loitering littering, killing of the wildlife, and so on. To violate 4(13) I'd think she have to be plastering posters for Hunger Games on every tree, not snapping pics.
Some MOD places have the prevision she and the photographer site talked about honestly I do not think it was in effect here because the it is not found in the wording of the byelaws.

Edited to add:

I just want to make very clear that I did not at any point go anywhere that the public were not free to go, nor was I at any point asked not to take photographs. I did not at any point go inside any fences around the structures which were up during construction. Once the fences were removed, I assumed the boundary to be the ‘flooring’ around the sites (the plastic roadway stuff that protects the ground underneath). Only once did I set foot on that flooring, and that was with permission. There was full public access to the site throughout construction (it’s MoD land), and lots of members of the public taking photos and videos. It was only during filming that the security guys were present. I do feel that if the chapel site was such hot property, then the production team should have made the construction team very aware of this, and put security on the site. It’s not like I was skulking around – I was there with two loud children and a dog!

I was told by the military policeman that I had breached a military byelaw, copies of which are displayed onsite. This is the byelaw in question;

It is prohibited to… 4(13) deposit or distribute, or cause to be deposited or distributed any handbills, leaflets or other literature or printed matter of any description.
All this seems to revolve around the fact that the mailonline bought 8 of my pictures to go into the artice that had already gone up on their site. At the gate I was told that it’s to do with ‘commercial gain’ and that if I hadn’t received money for the pictures then they wouldn’t have been able to stop me blogging. I don’t know how that relates to the byelaw though. It’s all a bit mystifying really and not at all worth the £200 the mail paid me.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Napoleon Solo wrote: She has handled this whole situation in a classy way. She has also been on CBn talking about it.
Awh man! Boy did I screw up she might of come here if I hadn't made the smart ass comment about being cute!
............ :007:
English Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, CR, TB, LALD

Post by English Agent »

Its all really silly isnt it?

I mean its only a few photos of some film crew and actors hanging around!

Its not like its photos of top secret military equipment!! :roll:
katied

Post by katied »

This is definitely Babs being a control freak, nothing more. :cuss:
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

If they were filming in the field behind our house we would be looking in. So what if it get posted to a blog I think maybe the leaks about teh story are more the probelm for eon I wouldn't worry over a few pictures of the set being built.

I was reminded of that story of the hotel pool that was not clean enough for Craig and how the people who worked there were treated,
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.