Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Blofeld Begins?

Post by Blowfeld »

I have considerable doubts that this is a serious consideration. Legal implications might be daunting. Also they may already be on shaky ground with their 'Quantum' organisation blatantly copying the organisation established in Thunderball.
Producers Eye Arch-Fiend Blofeld for Next Bond Flick

James Bond archenemy, Ernst Stavro Blofeld, could return with or without feline support.
James Bond faced many memorable villains over the years — megalomaniacal men who hid out in really easy to find fortresses and forced their thugs to wear jumpsuits.

But, 007 has only one archenemy — Ernst Stavro Blofeld. The mysterious leader of the Supreme Executive for Counter-Intelligence, Revenge and Extortion (SPECTRE) was played by several actors over the years and was partial to white Persian cats.

Bond always managed to thwart Blofeld’s schemes for global conquest, but at a severe cost. At the end of both the novel and film for On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, Blofeld kills Bond’s beloved wife.

Now, reports say Michael Sheen (The Queen) is ready to bring Blofeld back to take on Daniel Craig’s down and dirty Bond. There’s no word yet if SPECTRE is also returning, or if Blofeld might head up the criminal group the new films created (QUANTUM).

Image courtesy MGM

Story can be found at www.wired.com

Michael Sheen might be Bond baddie Blofeld

The Damned United actor is reported to be in negotiations to play the criminal mastermind in the 23rd official 007 picture, being co-scripted by Peter Morgan
* Xan Brooks
* guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 16 June 2009 12.07 BST
Pussy galore ... Michael Sheen (right) has the sharp suit, but he'll need the gun, the Persian and maybe some age makeup to play Blofeld like Charles Gray in Diamonds Are Forever. Photographs: Cinetext/Allstar and Jon Funiss/WireImage.com
He was last seen being tipped out of a helicopter into the gaping mouth of an industrial chimney. Now, 28 years after his last official appearance in For Your Eyes Only, James Bond's deadliest foe could be set for a return – in the fresh-faced form of actor Michael Sheen.

Sheen, 40, is reported to be in negotiations to play Ernst Stavro Blofeld in the 23rd official Bond picture, set for release in 2011. The script is being co-written by Peter Morgan, Sheen's long-time collaborator, who has already worked with him on the likes of The Queen, Frost/Nixon and The Damned United.

"Michael is hot property right now and it is felt that he's the right man to bring Blofeld back to life," an unnamed source told the Daily Express newspaper. "Michael was a Bond fan in his youth, so this would be a dream role for him."

The sinister chieftain of the global criminal organisation Spectre, Blofeld has appeared in six James Bond outings and has been interpreted by a variety of actors, including Donald Pleasence, Telly Savalas and Charles Gray. In popular imagination, he sports a scarred face and a shaved head and is never seen without his beloved white Persian cat.

Over recent decades, however, Blofeld has proved a more fitful and elusive presence. He was briefly resurrected by the Swedish actor Max von Sydow in 1983's unofficial Bond adventure Never Say Never Again and provided the inspiration for Dr Evil, the cackling, accident-prone baddie from the Austin Powers comedies. The real Blofeld, one suspects, would not have been amused.
This story can be found at Michael Sheen might be Bond baddie Blofeld
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Blofeld Begins?

Post by Kristatos »

I hope it's not true. I'm sure Sheen could play a good villain (he's played Tony Blair, after all), but I don't want Blofeld back.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

In a word...NO!!!! :roll:

EDITED TO ADD: what a time for the MI6 forums to quit working.I'm sure this would be w*anked about if they were :lol:
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger, OHMSS, FRWL, The Living Daylights

Post by 007 »

I'm not sure Eon have the right to use Blofeld anyway. Michael Sheen is carving out the sort of career Daniel Craig probably dreamed he would have by now and playing a Bond villain at this stage would probably be a step down for him.
"I’m looking for Commander Bond and not an overgrown stunt-man." - Ian Fleming
katied

Post by katied »

As Kris said on another thread, this rumor reeks of bovine manure, and I call double bovine manure being that they haven't even written it yet.

Add to that the only reason that the Michael Sheen rumors exist have to do with the fact he has worked with Peter Morgan in the past. :?
oscartheman
Agent

Post by oscartheman »

This smeller as bad as the Afghanistan rumor!And the Sean Connery will be back to play Bond's Dad. M's Husband. Q. the villain crap that starts up every time.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

oscartheman wrote:This smeller as bad as the Afghanistan rumor!And the Sean Connery will be back to play Bond's Dad. M's Husband. Q. the villain crap that starts up every time.
Actually, I heard he was going to play Old Bond, who had come through a black hole in space to tell Bond about the whole other timeline where Blofeld was the head of SPECTRE rather then Quantum, and was already dead, having been dropped down a chimney.
katied

Post by katied »

What about a non "Dr. Evil" Blofeld? (Though the Dr. Evil incarnation *is* popular, bringing him back would make EON a laughing stock(not like they aren't already! :P)
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:What about a non "Dr. Evil" Blofeld? (Though the Dr. Evil incarnation *is* popular, bringing him back would make EON a laughing stock(not like they aren't already! :P)
But Dr. Evil was a parody of Blofeld, specifically Donald Pleasance's Blofeld. If you're going to change the character so that he is no longer recognisable as Blofeld, you may as just well create a new character.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

007 wrote:I'm not sure Eon have the right to use Blofeld anyway.
I don't understand the legal web but it would be surprising if Blofeld suddenly popped up in an Eon Bond film now. The tabloid silly season is underway.
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

I seriously doubt this is true.Blofeld isn't coming back, in a Dr. Evil form or otherwise.(Unless Bond 23 flops..then it may go to the top of EON's "we're really desperate and don't have anything else" ideas list. :lol: )
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

I think Sheen is great, and would love to see him in a Bond film. Playing Blofeld? I think it could work, if they resurrected the previously unused novel storyline of YOLT, and remained fairly faithful to the novel. Also, the character would have to remain similar to the books and be serious, not Dr. Evil camp.

Maybe even leaving it open for a Bond 24 sequel using the brilliant TMWTGG novel opening....?

Either way, it will totally screw with the old Bond timeline, leaving you lot with even more things to complain about..... :twisted:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The Sweeney wrote:Either way, it will totally screw with the old Bond timeline, leaving you lot with even more things to complain about..... :twisted:
Well, that's my main objection, but wasn't the Blofeld of the novels morbidly obese? I hardly think Sheen fits that description.
katied

Post by katied »

Sheen gained a bit of weight for one of his roles, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.But deliberately becoming morbidly obese? :shock:
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Kristatos wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:Either way, it will totally screw with the old Bond timeline, leaving you lot with even more things to complain about..... :twisted:
Well, that's my main objection, but wasn't the Blofeld of the novels morbidly obese? I hardly think Sheen fits that description.
I think he was in TB, but not in OHMSS and YOLT. I recall Bond hardly recognising him in OHMSS, as he physically transformed himself.
katied

Post by katied »

Also, the character would have to remain similar to the books and be serious, not Dr. Evil camp
We can agree on *that* at least! :lol:
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

weren't they sort of doing a Blofeld like thing since CR. Maybe they just mean he will play Blofeld but in all but name since everyone seems to think they can't use the name. Or would that still be trouble for them? Like sombody doing Bond movie in all but name (gadgets, M, Moneypenny, Q, characters all called diffrent names but they are the same as Bonds)
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Jedi007
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Jedi007 »

Kristatos wrote:
katied wrote:What about a non "Dr. Evil" Blofeld? (Though the Dr. Evil incarnation *is* popular, bringing him back would make EON a laughing stock(not like they aren't already! :P)
But Dr. Evil was a parody of Blofeld, specifically Donald Pleasance's Blofeld. If you're going to change the character so that he is no longer recognisable as Blofeld, you may as just well create a new character.
Replace that with James Bond.
BOND sells, NOT CRAIG
The reboot is a risky area, did Eon need to do it? NO. Did this confuse alot of people? YES.
The Bond character will always be anchored in the values of the 60s
katied

Post by katied »

The whole "bring Blofeld back" thing has calmed down elsewhere but I'm sure we haven't heard the last of it.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

How do you go from this new criminal organization in Craig's first 2 films to Blofeld and still claim to be original, as was Craig's intentions at the start? Even he realizes they are off message now. I am sure Craig is not happy with the poor QOS reviews.