Forster turns down 'Bond 23' offer

A place for discussion of all Bond 23/Skyfall related news and rumors
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Forster turns down 'Bond 23' offer

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote:Didn't Wilson pitch his reboot idea to Cubby, who then rejected it?
For TLD, I believe. I think if we had to have a reboot, GE would have been the best time, with the 6-year gap and change in personnel (not only a new Bond but a new M, a new Moneypenny and mostly new people behind the camera). But I'd rather have done without it altogether. To my mind, it creates more problems than it solves.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
John Drake
Commander
Location: Watching the first twenty James Bond films somewhere...

Post by John Drake »

Mazer Rackham wrote:
John Drake wrote:
There is a little Daniel Craig biography (can't remember who wrote it) with a black cover that I skimmed through in a bookshop the other day and it says that Wilson wanted Hugh Jackman to replace Brosnan and was 'cold' towards the idea of DC doing it at first.
I met MGW once. A Long time ago. Long before the Craig fiasco. He was very decent to all of us and put a very good face on the whole enterprise.
Behind his back, in other corridors, he and his half sister are considered idiots by others in the film industry. I've even heard jokes about Barbara being the Mailman's offspring nothing to with Cubby. I think this was started because of the huge disconnect from what people knew of Cubby and what they saw in Barbara.
MGW is considered by many a nepotism hire who botched much of the Bond ethoses with his hackneyed ideas and writing. But he is probably more right than wrong when talking about classic Bond and much closer to Cubby than his daughter is in his business sense. And he was dead set against Craig as Bond, overruled by his sister who made it very clear he was only the hired help and not family. Not from the right side of the family anyway.

If something were to happen to Barbara we probably would see a completely different face to Bond in short order.

That would explain why Michael and Martin Campbell looked so bored at that 2005 press conference on the Thames while Barbara was grinning from ear to ear. How about Cubby's late wife Dana? She always struck me as a smart and strong woman on the Bond DVD extras she appeared in. I wonder if she kept an eye on the business and then it was a case of the kids (or kid) running riot when she died.
"He is very good-looking" Vesper Lynd
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

John Drake wrote:
Mazer Rackham wrote:
John Drake wrote:
There is a little Daniel Craig biography (can't remember who wrote it) with a black cover that I skimmed through in a bookshop the other day and it says that Wilson wanted Hugh Jackman to replace Brosnan and was 'cold' towards the idea of DC doing it at first.
I met MGW once. A Long time ago. Long before the Craig fiasco. He was very decent to all of us and put a very good face on the whole enterprise.
Behind his back, in other corridors, he and his half sister are considered idiots by others in the film industry. I've even heard jokes about Barbara being the Mailman's offspring nothing to with Cubby. I think this was started because of the huge disconnect from what people knew of Cubby and what they saw in Barbara.
MGW is considered by many a nepotism hire who botched much of the Bond ethoses with his hackneyed ideas and writing. But he is probably more right than wrong when talking about classic Bond and much closer to Cubby than his daughter is in his business sense. And he was dead set against Craig as Bond, overruled by his sister who made it very clear he was only the hired help and not family. Not from the right side of the family anyway.

If something were to happen to Barbara we probably would see a completely different face to Bond in short order.

That would explain why Michael and Martin Campbell looked so bored at that 2005 press conference on the Thames while Barbara was grinning from ear to ear. How about Cubby's late wife Dana? She always struck me as a smart and strong woman on the Bond DVD extras she appeared in. I wonder if she kept an eye on the business and then it was a case of the kids (or kid) running riot when she died.
She is dead! :shock:
I genuinely liked Dana. She really impressed me in those special edition dvds. I remember here talking about how horrified she was by a accident on set of TLD they were shooting in the middle of nowhere and she had to work as nurse to help out.
I had no idea she passed away. I thought she was in deep retirement letting the kids do as they will. :(
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
katied

Post by katied »

Behind his back, in other corridors, he and his half sister are considered idiots by others in the film industry
That doesn't surprise me one bit. :lol:

his sister who made it very clear he was only the hired help and not family. Not from the right side of the family anyway.
MGW IS Cinderella :lol:
John Drake
Commander
Location: Watching the first twenty James Bond films somewhere...

Post by John Drake »

Dr. No wrote:
John Drake wrote:
Mazer Rackham wrote:I met MGW once. A Long time ago. Long before the Craig fiasco. He was very decent to all of us and put a very good face on the whole enterprise.

She is dead! :shock:
I genuinely liked Dana. She really impressed me in those special edition dvds. I remember here talking about how horrified she was by a accident on set of TLD they were shooting in the middle of nowhere and she had to work as nurse to help out.
I had no idea she passed away. I thought she was in deep retirement letting the kids do as they will. :(

Dana died at the start of 2004. Didn't she play a part in casting Sean Connery? I'm sure I've heard that she championed Connery to Cubby after seeing him in a film - despite more famous actors being touted for the role. Ian Fleming wanted someone like a David Niven and they approached the likes of Cary Grant and Richard Johnson.
"He is very good-looking" Vesper Lynd
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

katied wrote:
his sister who made it very clear he was only the hired help and not family. Not from the right side of the family anyway.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

About what it amounts to. Everyone knows where his stands in the company. Craig has more authority then he does! All becasue he is not Cubby's blood, so his opinions do not matter. Great way to treat your stepchild. :roll: How badly must they treat their adopted kids
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
katied

Post by katied »

Mazer Rackham wrote:
katied wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

About what it amounts to. Everyone knows where his stands in the company. Craig has more authority then he does! All becasue he is not Cubby's blood, so his opinions do not matter. Great way to treat your stepchild. :roll: How badly must they treat their adopted kids

I didn't know that about them having adopted kids :shock: as someone who is adopted myself, I find that interesting!

But yeah.Poor Cindermikey :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Kristatos wrote:
carl stromberg wrote:Didn't Wilson pitch his reboot idea to Cubby, who then rejected it?
For TLD, I believe. I think if we had to have a reboot, GE would have been the best time, with the 6-year gap and change in personnel (not only a new Bond but a new M, a new Moneypenny and mostly new people behind the camera). But I'd rather have done without it altogether. To my mind, it creates more problems than it solves.
When they announced the reboot in 2005, I thought: "Why don't they make a James Bond film?".

Bond did not need rebooting. They relaunched it in 1995 with a film that even the Brosnan haters seemed to enjoy. A reboot may have been needed if the Bond series was in trouble. Die Another Day had made a ton of cash and Bond was mildly fashionable and popular. A reboot may have been needed if the Bond series was in trouble.
Bring back Bond!
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

John Drake wrote:

Dana died at the start of 2004. Didn't she play a part in casting Sean Connery? I'm sure I've heard that she championed Connery to Cubby after seeing him in a film - despite more famous actors being touted for the role. Ian Fleming wanted someone like a David Niven and they approached the likes of Cary Grant and Richard Johnson.
Dana was a good influence on Cubby Broccoli. There is an interesting documentary on Cubby Broccoli on the Diamonds Are Forever UE DVD which discusses the history of the Broccoli family.
Bring back Bond!
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

katied wrote: I didn't know that about them having adopted kids :shock: as someone who is adopted myself, I find that interesting!

But yeah.Poor Cindermikey :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I believe Cubby adopted one child before Barbara was born. His children may have adopted children of their own, I'm not sure. I'd need to refresh my memory on this.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

carl stromberg wrote:
John Drake wrote:

Dana was a good influence on Cubby Broccoli. There is an interesting documentary on Cubby Broccoli on the Diamonds Are Forever UE DVD which discusses the history of the Broccoli family.
I had a good impression of her from her interviews adn thought she was a nice lady. I don't remember hearing of her death. @004 was hectic year for us I wouldn't have been paying attention to the news.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.