Will Skyfall be the worst Bond film?

A place for discussion of all Bond 23/Skyfall related news and rumors

Will Skyfall be the worst ever Bond film?

Yes
21%
No
17%
It's not a Bond film
63%

Total votes: 24

Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Re: Will Skyfall be the worst Bond film?

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Kristatos wrote:
bjmdds wrote:Connery to Lazenby to Connery..........Pleasance to Savalas to Gray............poor continuity by Eon then, and it continues now with rebooting characters that already existed in the minds of fans. The vast number of Leiters was ridiculous as well.
The Lazenby thing was beyond their control to a certain extent, but I don't know why they kept recasting the roles of Blofeld and Leiter. I know that Jack Lord later went on to success in Hawaii Five-O, but that wasn't until the seventies. Anyone know why they didn't keep using him as Leiter before then? I don't know that he was the best Leiter (David Hedison has that honour for me), but he was the first.
Story is Cubby didn't want Leiter to becoming too identifiable a character. Seems strange now but Bond was just beginning back then just look who they hired after. Lord also asked for second billing (more money) for Goldfinger, I'd not want "Bond overshadowed" either.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Mazer Rackham wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
bjmdds wrote:Connery to Lazenby to Connery..........Pleasance to Savalas to Gray............poor continuity by Eon then, and it continues now with rebooting characters that already existed in the minds of fans. The vast number of Leiters was ridiculous as well.
The Lazenby thing was beyond their control to a certain extent, but I don't know why they kept recasting the roles of Blofeld and Leiter. I know that Jack Lord later went on to success in Hawaii Five-O, but that wasn't until the seventies. Anyone know why they didn't keep using him as Leiter before then? I don't know that he was the best Leiter (David Hedison has that honour for me), but he was the first.
Story is Cubby didn't want Leiter to becoming too identifiable a character. Seems strange now but Bond was just beginning back then just look who they hired after. Lord also asked for second billing (more money) for Goldfinger, I'd not want "Bond overshadowed" either.
Richard Maibaum disclosed in a 1983 interview with Starlog magazine that Jack Lord was asked to reprise the Leiter role in Goldfinger but asked for billing equal to Connery's and was turned down. Also, Hawaii Five-O began in 1968, four years after Goldfinger. It ran until 1980, so it's thought of as a "1970s show" but actually began earlier. Also, Lord was only cast in Five-O five days before start of the pilot (source: the late Rose Freeman, widow of Five-O creator Leonard Freeman at a 1996 Five-O fan convention in Los Angeles)
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

The thought of a secondary character even with Lord as a CIA version of Bond over shadowing Bond was a laugh. They did hire blander Leiters after though. Lord shut himself out of a job is what happened and Cubby had a story for why he was so wise everybody wins.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Mazer Rackham wrote:The thought of a secondary character even with Lord as a CIA version of Bond over shadowing Bond was a laugh. They did hire blander Leiters after though. Lord shut himself out of a job is what happened and Cubby had a story for why he was so wise everybody wins.
Plus, let's face it, Eon didn't pay terribly well for the continuing roles, at least not originally (i.e. M, Moneypenny, etc.). And Leiter would be used less often than the others. I don't think JL would have made substantially more -- and maybe wouldn't have been paid any more -- had he been cast as Leiter in Goldfinger and Thunderball compared with what he was making as a pretty busy actor doing guest shots on U.S. TV prior to Five-O. So, as you say, everybody won in the long run.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Shame we couldn't have had the same actor playing Leiter in at least the three '60s films in which he appeared, though, even though Jack Lord bears little resemblance to how I see Leiter in my head when I'm reading Fleming.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

How about what Bond looks like in your head Nick, with Cr-egg in the role?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:How about what Bond looks like in your head Nick, with Cr-egg in the role?
Nope, he definitely doesn't look like Cregg, When I read the books, the Bond I see is about 75% Dalton, 25% Connery, while Leiter looks a bit like Robert Redford.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Craig007
New Recruit

Post by Craig007 »

It is being made by great artists and will be in the top 5 best Bond movies for sure.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

I don't know if Skyfall will be worse than Quantum Of Solace, but from what I've seen so far, it's probably not going to be as entertaining and enjoyable as the classic Bond films.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Welcome The Saint 007! :cheers:
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Blowfeld wrote:Welcome The Saint 007! :cheers:
Thank you, Blowfeld!
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Welcome Saintly 007, a cross over between 2 franchise's spies. :!:
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

bjmdds wrote:Welcome Saintly 007, a cross over between 2 franchise's spies. :!:

Thanks bjmdds! Yeah, I love Roger Moore as Simon Templar and James Bond, so I decided to mix the two together.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

The Saint 007 wrote:

Thanks bjmdds! Yeah, I love Roger Moore as Simon Templar and James Bond, so I decided to mix the two together.
The Saint is always on ITV4 and it is great fun.
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:

The Saint is always on ITV4 and it is great fun.
I have the complete series on DVD. It is a really awesome and fun show to watch. The 1960's and 1970's had some of the best television shows.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I've only seen a handful of saint shows. I'm hoping netflix gets them.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
katied

Post by katied »

They used to show the Saint on one of the local TV channels when I was a teenager. On days when I was "home sick from school" :mrgreen: I always watched it.
shaken not stirred
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, the spy who loved Me, the world is not enough, goldfinger, live and let die.
Favorite Movies: Iron man,Iron man 2, avengers, goldeneye, dark city, back to the future, live and let die.

Post by shaken not stirred »

We can but hope, but sadly looking at the concensus (atleast in the UK) too many will go and watch it, I don't really see why anymore, there's nothing to really be excited about anymore...it's just so bloody dull, boring, tiring and stale where we'll see yet another bond who isn't bond trying to be bourne mope around about how unfair his life is, pout whenever he can and as soon as he tries to raise a smile he'll break a mirror, it's too depressing to even think about.

Film should've been called blandfall starring the new bond james bland (because bond only fits in a real bond film).

Films trailers are supposed to get you excited for their release and the avengers trailer blew Me away, tdkr one was pretty good as well and the trailer from the hobbit last year still has Me jumping and down in anticipation (not literlally jumping up and down but that's My choice of words).

I jus don't get how a trailer that looks so dull, so vague, so morose, depressing and incredibly unexciting can get so many people interested, a trailer's supposed to be the thing that gets you to the cinema, it's supposed to sell the film to you, not make you yawn, look at your watch and go and boil the kettle and look out the window in the kitchen instead.

Finally it's probably just Me but whenever I hear the word skyfall I mix it up with trifle and feel hungry, even adeles skyfall when she says crumble seems to make Me think of pies or trifle for some reason like I'm actually hearing about how someones making some sort of quiche, again that's just Me but hearing skyfall makes Me hungry, maybe it should've been a label for some food company not a film because it's not making Me think of the film it's making Me think of food.
Bond....James bond....Rest in peace (1964-2002)
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Kristatos wrote:
bjmdds wrote:How about what Bond looks like in your head Nick, with Cr-egg in the role?
Nope, he definitely doesn't look like Cregg, When I read the books, the Bond I see is about 75% Dalton, 25% Connery, while Leiter looks a bit like Robert Redford.
That's not a bad assessment there Kris. :cheers:
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

The Sweeney wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
That's not a bad assessment there Kris. :cheers:
Robert Redford as Leiter. Perfect :up:
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.