Skyfall Discussion (spoilers allowed)

A place for discussion of all Bond 23/Skyfall related news and rumors
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Re: Skyfall Discussion (spoilers allowed)

Post by The Saint 007 »

bjamesobrad wrote:Sorry FBF but I have to disagree with you. I do not believe that babs gave Brosnan s**t and Craig the good stuff, and thats the point. Craigs movies suck just as bad as his interpritation of the iconic charactor.
Pierce did get a raw deal however when they threw him out like yesterdays news paper
Craig's Bonds are just more artsy fartsy, which I guess is what makes some people believe that they're so much better. Some of the content in Craig's Bonds is even taken from the classic Bond films.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

The Saint 007 wrote:
bjamesobrad wrote:Sorry FBF but I have to disagree with you. I do not believe that babs gave Brosnan s**t and Craig the good stuff, and thats the point. Craigs movies suck just as bad as his interpritation of the iconic charactor.
Pierce did get a raw deal however when they threw him out like yesterdays news paper
Craig's Bonds are just more artsy fartsy, which I guess is what makes some people believe that they're so much better. Some of the content in Craig's Bonds is even taken from the classic Bond films.
Brosnan had stuff he was never permitted to do, Craig picks the director, co-actors, the plot, the title, the song. IMHO Brosnan got a raw deal because they were too scared to let him get a feel for Bond after Dalton tired it and it failed.

I agree Brosnan movies are better at least he was making movies that contributed positively to the 20 movie 40 year history of the franchise.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

The Saint 007 wrote:What I do know is that if a black actor is ever cast to play Bond, Sweeney will be joining forces with us. :wink:
And let Babs do it. The series is too corrupt to bring the traditional James Bond back anyway.
If people really want a Bond-like spy who is black, Indian, Asian, or whatnot, then just make a whole new series.

They could do a reboot in a similar fashion to 2009's Sherlock.
While the series hasn't yet reached the point where it's beyond saving, its future does seem rather uncertain. Hence that's why I say Bond is currently in limbo.
Forget the traditional Bond. Just let Babs make Bond black or Asian or at least give him an eye-patch or prosthetic arm for all I care.
Was the Brosnan era really THAT bad to some people, that they can just willingly accept all these bizarre ideas being incorporated into Bond? The Brosnan era wasn't perfect, but then again, neither were the others. I honestly don't think Die Another Day is worth rebooting the series, or screwing it up with all sorts of ideas/alternations.
No Brosnan's Bond aren't perfect. In fact, there's no perfect Bond movie. However, the way Babs handles things proves how arrogant and pretentious she really is. Screwing up Pierce and giving DC the "good stuff". Say goodbye to the traditional Bond.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Dr. No wrote:Brosnan had stuff he was never permitted to do, Craig picks the director, co-actors, the plot, the title, the song. IMHO Brosnan got a raw deal because they were too scared to let him get a feel for Bond after Dalton tired it and it failed.
Which is why you should kiss the traditional Bond goodbye and let Babs cast a black actor as James Bond. It's her world, and the tall and dark-haired Bond we grew up with and The Bitch's regime DO NOT MIX!!!!!!!!
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

FormerBondFan wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:Was the Brosnan era really THAT bad to some people, that they can just willingly accept all these bizarre ideas being incorporated into Bond? The Brosnan era wasn't perfect, but then again, neither were the others. I honestly don't think Die Another Day is worth rebooting the series, or screwing it up with all sorts of ideas/alternations.
No Brosnan's Bond aren't perfect. In fact, there's no perfect Bond movie. However, the way Babs handles things proves how arrogant and pretentious she really is. Screwing up Pierce and giving DC the "good stuff". Say goodbye to the traditional Bond.
The Brosnan Bonds did have some pretty good ideas, but sometimes they just weren't executed properly. The concept of the villain Renard Zokas, for example, was actually pretty cool, but could have been done much better. However, this issue of having good ideas/concepts that are not properly executed also occurs in some of the other Bond films as well. Like I said before, there's no such thing as a perfect Bond film. Which is why I'm baffled as to how some people can think the Brosnan era was so bad, that they can just willingly accept all these bizarre changes being made to the series. While I admit the series hasn't been all that fun for me in quite some time, I still don't think the Brosnan era was as bad as some say, nor would I go along with every little crazy idea that the producers try to insert into the series.
bjamesobrad
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball, Goldeneye, The World Is Not Enough, Goldfinger, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies, You Only Live Twice, Die Another Day, Dr. No, The Living Daylights, Live And Let Die, For Your Eyes Only, The Spy Who Loved Me (order subject to change based on mood)
Favorite Movies: The Man With No Name Trilogy, Heat, The Dark Knight, Unforgiven, Star Wars, Cobra

Post by bjamesobrad »

Dr. No wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:
Brosnan had stuff he was never permitted to do, Craig picks the director, co-actors, the plot, the title, the song. IMHO Brosnan got a raw deal because they were too scared to let him get a feel for Bond after Dalton tired it and it failed.

I agree Brosnan movies are better at least he was making movies that contributed positively to the 20 movie 40 year history of the franchise.

Agreed. I just hate it when I read Craig gets "the good stuff", even if it's in quotations
Rest in Peace
James Bond
November 14, 2006
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

The Saint 007 wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:Was the Brosnan era really THAT bad to some people, that they can just willingly accept all these bizarre ideas being incorporated into Bond? The Brosnan era wasn't perfect, but then again, neither were the others. I honestly don't think Die Another Day is worth rebooting the series, or screwing it up with all sorts of ideas/alternations.
The Brosnan Bonds did have some pretty good ideas, but sometimes they just weren't executed properly. The concept of the villain Renard Zokas, for example, was actually pretty cool, but could have been done much better. However, this issue of having good ideas/concepts that are not properly executed also occurs in some of the other Bond films as well. Like I said before, there's no such thing as a perfect Bond film. Which is why I'm baffled as to how some people can think the Brosnan era was so bad, that they can just willingly accept all these bizarre changes being made to the series. While I admit the series hasn't been all that fun for me in quite some time, I still don't think the Brosnan era was as bad as some say, nor would I go along with every little crazy idea that the producers try to insert into the series.
If the same people are running the show when Daniel Craig leaves think the series is so self aware we will get quips about running through walls not being able to smile, looking for a parent in his boss.

The people who say the Pierce Brosnan era was the worst often fall back on four or five movies to hold up as good Bond moives;
From Russia With Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, License to Kill, GolenEye,
No wonder they are not particularly bothered by the series coming off the rails in 2006 it was precisely what they had not dared to hope for. While the rest of us who took the good with he bad were told to sod off, then in painstaking detail ridiculed for having actually like the Bond Fleming wrote and help bring to the big screen.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Eye Of The Tiger
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, The World Is Not Enough, The Spy Who Loved Me, Licence To Kill, Goldfinger
Favorite Movies: The Rocky, Rambo, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, The Karate Kid, Major League franchises

Post by Eye Of The Tiger »

I certainly don't mean to bore anyone by repeating this on here too much. However...since a few of the previous posts mention the gay overtones that are being introduced to the Bond character, I'll mention this once more.
I was kicked off of the AJB website because I dared to say that I would have a problem with Bond being portrayed as being gay, or Craig doing kissing scenes with other men in any of his roles. Two of the mod's took offense to that, and began bullying me in their posts, and then banned me.
................................................................................................................................................................................

On another topic... I haven't seen QOS or SF, but based on CR, it seems to me that the Bond character no longer has any redeeming value. Yes, Bond would kill people in the past, but it was usually necessary to save the innocent or himself, and he didn't take pleasure in it. IN CR, Craig's Bond just seems like a thug, not someone that you can really root for or believe in.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Eye Of The Tiger wrote:I certainly don't mean to bore anyone by repeating this on here too much. However...since a few of the previous posts mention the gay overtones that are being introduced to the Bond character, I'll mention this once more.
I was kicked off of the AJB website because I dared to say that I would have a problem with Bond being portrayed as being gay, or Craig doing kissing scenes with other men in any of his roles. Two of the mod's took offense to that, and began bullying me in their posts, and then banned me.
................................................................................................................................................................................

On another topic... I haven't seen QOS or SF, but based on CR, it seems to me that the Bond character no longer has any redeeming value. Yes, Bond would kill people in the past, but it was usually necessary to save the innocent or himself, and he didn't take pleasure in it. IN CR, Craig's Bond just seems like a thug, not someone that you can really root for or believe in.
Craig doesn't kiss any men in any of his Bond movies. The only homosexual undertone was from the villain in SF, but this was probably more likely to tie in with Scaramanga from Fleming's TMWTGG.

And homosexual villains is not new in Bond films either. Back in 1971, Kidd & Wintt were as bent as a 90 degree angle........... :lol:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The Sweeney wrote: Craig doesn't kiss any men in any of his Bond movies. The only homosexual undertone was from the villain in SF, but this was probably more likely to tie in with Scaramanga from Fleming's TMWTGG.
And the "Such a waste" line in CR, surely? Now that Bond films are being made by and for heterosexual women, it seems that gay men are also being courted as a key demographic among the Bond audience.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
The Sweeney
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Kristatos wrote:
The Sweeney wrote: Craig doesn't kiss any men in any of his Bond movies. The only homosexual undertone was from the villain in SF, but this was probably more likely to tie in with Scaramanga from Fleming's TMWTGG.
And the "Such a waste" line in CR, surely? Now that Bond films are being made by and for heterosexual women, it seems that gay men are also being courted as a key demographic among the Bond audience.
As long as its the villains who are gay and not Bond, I'm not too fussed about this.
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

The Sweeney wrote:As long as its the villains who are gay and not Bond, I'm not too fussed about this.
With Barbara's crazy ideas, you never know. :wink: But in regards to Wint & Kidd, their homosexual nature was pretty much played for laughs, and unlike Raoul Silva, they didn't mess around with Bond.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The Sweeney wrote: As long as its the villains who are gay and not Bond, I'm not too fussed about this.

What makes you think it'd be his first time?
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

Kristatos wrote:
The Sweeney wrote: As long as its the villains who are gay and not Bond, I'm not too fussed about this.

What makes you think it'd be his first time?
That line by Bond was obviously a throwaway remark to fend off the physical `threat' of Silva. I never once thought for a minute Bond was secretly gay, and said that line as he wanted some male love action right there and then with Silva.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

He could have experimented in the past - a bone thrown to the gay audience brought to Bond by Danny Boy parading himself in his budgie smugglers for the benefit of Babs 'n' Amy?
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

Kristatos wrote:He could have experimented in the past - a bone thrown to the gay audience brought to Bond by Danny Boy parading himself in his budgie smugglers for the benefit of Babs 'n' Amy?
I seriously doubt anyone really thought that when watching the film.
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

The Sweeney wrote:
Kristatos wrote:He could have experimented in the past - a bone thrown to the gay audience brought to Bond by Danny Boy parading himself in his budgie smugglers for the benefit of Babs 'n' Amy?
I seriously doubt anyone really thought that when watching the film.
Well, I have been seeing some rather suggestive pictures of Bond and Silva, as well as Bond and the new Q creeping up on DeviantArt. Believe it or not, there's even a few groups on the site dedicated to artwork based on the pairing of Bond/Silva and Bond/Q.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The Saint 007 wrote:
Well, I have been seeing some rather suggestive pictures of Bond and Silva, as well as Bond and the new Q creeping up on DeviantArt. Believe it or not, there's even a few groups on the site dedicated to artwork based on the pairing of Bond/Silva and Bond/Q.
Weeeelllll...slash fiction goes back a long way, even for works that had no intentional gay subtext. Holmes/Watson, Kirk/Spock etc.
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

Kristatos wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:
Weeeelllll...slash fiction goes back a long way, even for works that had no intentional gay subtext. Holmes/Watson, Kirk/Spock etc.
Exactly. I don't think these kind of cartoons are meant to be taken seriously.
Eye Of The Tiger
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, The World Is Not Enough, The Spy Who Loved Me, Licence To Kill, Goldfinger
Favorite Movies: The Rocky, Rambo, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, The Karate Kid, Major League franchises

Post by Eye Of The Tiger »

The Sweeney wrote:
Eye Of The Tiger wrote:I certainly don't mean to bore anyone by repeating this on here too much. However...since a few of the previous posts mention the gay overtones that are being introduced to the Bond character, I'll mention this once more.

Craig doesn't kiss any men in any of his Bond movies. The only homosexual undertone was from the villain in SF, but this was probably more likely to tie in with Scaramanga from Fleming's TMWTGG.

And homosexual villains is not new in Bond films either. Back in 1971, Kidd & Wintt were as bent as a 90 degree angle........... :lol:
I've watched Diamonds Are Forever many times. I didn't forget about Wintt and Kidd. But at least they weren't Bond.

What put me on the sh*t list of a couple of the mods on AJB was my response to a question that had been asked by another member. Someone asked if it would matter if Bond were to be gay, or if DC were to do scenes in any movie where he would kiss other men. I said that yes, it would bother me in both cases, and that I was getting sick of seeing gay kissing scenes on TV. After that, one of the openly gay mods started insulting me every time that he would respond to one of my posts. He kept being insulting to me over and over every time that he would respond to one of my posts. Finally, one night he was extra insulting, so I sort of told him off, but did so in a way that did not break any forum rules. Right after that, one of the other openly gay mods banned me from the site.

Anyway, that's in the past. I don't need to talk about it anymore. I was just mentioning it because of the topic of Bond and homosexuality.