Daily Mail's Skyfall review

A place for discussion of all Bond 23/Skyfall related news and rumors
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Re: Daily Mail's Skyfall review

Post by The Sweeney »

Total Film gave it 5 stars (they gave QoS 3) - http://www.totalfilm.com/reviews/cinema/skyfall

It all adds up to the 007 adventure we’ve been waiting for: a flawlessly assembled thrill ride with a cast to die for and a nakedly emotional undertow. Happy birthday, Mr Bond.
Last edited by The Sweeney on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sweeney
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

James wrote:
Omega wrote:Early reviews leaked at this point are nearly always good. They got upset at the Dragon Tattoo girl reviews out early and those were good.

sniffy one in the Guardian?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/oct ... sfeed=true

There was a (I think) Telegraph review where they said it didn't feel much like a Bond film but gave it 4 out of 5 anyway. A lot of the reviews seem to suggest they've been more inspired by Nolan and the Dark Knight trilogy than Jason Bourne this time.
Out of all the reviews released today, The Guardian is the only one with any hints of negativity, but they still find praise in the film, and still give it 3 stars - hardly a damning, slating review.

Another positive one just emerged - http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... t-20121012

And another - http://www.filmoria.co.uk/2012/10/film-review-skyfall/

Another 5 star review - http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2012/10/m ... -2012.html

And another - http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/ ... nd-trailer

And there's more - http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/movies/ ... view/30408

Another 5 star, not sure if it already been posted - http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie- ... 51356.html

Even Chris Tookey loves it - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ds-newsxml

Best Bond ever - http://www.sabotagetimes.com/tv-film/sk ... ever-been/

Skyfall is the smartest Bond film for many years - http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/39389 ... bardem.htm
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

And so the insanity begins...

Really not surprised about the positive reviews. Most people will praise Craig for what a superb Bond he is, no matter what the quality of the film is like. Some critics even were positive about Quantum Of Solace, which I and many others consider to be the worst film in the series. This is why I don't take what the critics say seriously. I make judgments based on my own feelings, and I don't care for Craig or the current direction whatsoever.

They've went from Bourne to Batman. Why can't they just make a proper classic Bond film? I'm so sick of all the butchered reinventing of everything. I got into the Bond series because of the various qualities and characteristics it had, and because it was just so different and more fun than most other spy movies. If I really want to watch Batman, Bourne or some other realistic spy thriller, than I will just go and do that.

Anyway, I won't be going to the theater see Skyfall. I'm going to do what I did with the first two Craig Bonds, stay home and watch a Dalton Bond film. If I'm going to watch a more serious Bond film, then I'm going to watch one that's done properly.
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

QoS didn't receive this many positive reviews on release, and I don't even think CR did either. There were at least 1 or 2 damning reviews when CR first previewed, and Graham Rye absolutely slated QoS.

Judging from this overwhelming positive response, I think a truly great film may have been made. This kind of a response I've not seen since TDK.
Last edited by The Sweeney on Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shaken not stirred
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, the spy who loved Me, the world is not enough, goldfinger, live and let die.
Favorite Movies: Iron man,Iron man 2, avengers, goldeneye, dark city, back to the future, live and let die.

Post by shaken not stirred »

James wrote:
Omega wrote:Early reviews leaked at this point are nearly always good. They got upset at the Dragon Tattoo girl reviews out early and those were good.

There was a (I think) Telegraph review where they said it didn't feel much like a Bond film but gave it 4 out of 5 anyway. A lot of the reviews seem to suggest they've been more inspired by Nolan and the Dark Knight trilogy than Jason Bourne this time.
I really hate this crap when critics, it's not bond but it deserves a high score (just like the crappy resident evil games today that aren't re but hey because of it's name let's give it a high score and not stand up and do the right d**n thing, bunch of cowards some of these critics, if you hate it why in the name of god and all that's sacred give this a high score).

Give ia 1 or a 2 atleast, people like this are the reason this rubbish we're sadly more content to stay with keeps going, where's the standards anymore, these people don't deserve to be called critics and if I ran that business after seeing this I'd have them out of their jobs in an instant, if you can't even do your job but cave in because of the name then get lost, if it doesn't feel like the series it should and you give it a highscore then in My mind you're a beeping joke.

I have nothing but contempt for this franchise and Barbera broccoli today, if I had money and My way I'd make a brillaint spy film and shove it right in her face, if I want to see a blonde guy going around killing stuff and being cool I'll watch Jack Bauer in 24 with the Brillaint Keither Sutherland, I don't want to see some arrrrghhhhhh :cuss: :cuss: (getting out of this forum for a while, beep you eon).
Bond....James bond....Rest in peace (1964-2002)
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

shaken not stirred wrote:
James wrote:

I really hate this crap when critics, it's not bond but it deserves a high score (just like the crappy resident evil games today that aren't re but hey because of it's name let's give it a high score and not stand up and do the right d**n thing, bunch of cowards some of these critics, if you hate it why in the name of god and all that's sacred give this a high score).

Give ia 1 or a 2 atleast, people like this are the reason this rubbish we're sadly more content to stay with keeps going, where's the standards anymore, these people don't deserve to be called critics and if I ran that business after seeing this I'd have them out of their jobs in an instant, if you can't even do your job but cave in because of the name then get lost, if it doesn't feel like the series it should and you give it a highscore then in My mind you're a beeping joke.
Some critics love to hate something if the overwhelming majority say otherwise, so they make a name for themselves. What The Guardian review tells me is that the critic actually loved the film, but tried to distance himself from the masses by hinting at a few negative points, and being more different by bringing this down to 3 stars, rather than give it 4 or 5.

If he wanted to really give this 1 star, trust me he would have done. It's what gives critics a hard on - being different.
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Blowfeld wrote:So she is Moneypenny. **expletive deleted**
Despite all the denials, it would appear.
Napoleon Solo
Agent

Post by Napoleon Solo »

The Sweeney wrote:I said all along Skyfall will be the biggest Bond film in years, helped along by Olympics, Bond 50, Adele and positive reviews.
Right now the positive reviews are literally overwhelming from what I've read online. Far more positive than even CR.

Adele will probably hit the No. 1 spot too next week (if not this week) for the first time in Bond history.

Sorry guys, but Craig is here to stay. FBF, time to send in your wierdos..... :lol:
At least for two more films. He finally said as much directly in an interview this week.
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

Napoleon Solo wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:I said all along Skyfall will be the biggest Bond film in years, helped along by Olympics, Bond 50, Adele and positive reviews.
Right now the positive reviews are literally overwhelming from what I've read online. Far more positive than even CR.

Adele will probably hit the No. 1 spot too next week (if not this week) for the first time in Bond history.

Sorry guys, but Craig is here to stay. FBF, time to send in your wierdos..... :lol:
At least for two more films. He finally said as much directly in an interview this week.
Which would take us to 2018 at the earliest for a new Bond, and makes Craig only the third actor ever to play Bond for 5 films.
Napoleon Solo
Agent

Post by Napoleon Solo »

The Sweeney wrote:
Napoleon Solo wrote:

Which would take us to 2018 at the earliest for a new Bond, and makes Craig only the third actor ever to play Bond for 5 films.
*If* they get back on an every-other-year schedule (which Sony and MGM want, but it remains to be seen whether Eon can manage), Bond 25 would be out in 2016. That would mean Craig was Bond for a decade, longer than Connery's 1962-71 Eon tenure (if you overlook his one-film absence). If the interval is three years between films, and Bond 25 is out in 2018, that means Craig will have been Bond for 12 years, matching Roger Moore's tenure (albeit with 2 fewer films).
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

Napoleon Solo wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:
Napoleon Solo wrote:

*If* they get back on an every-other-year schedule (which Sony and MGM want, but it remains to be seen whether Eon can manage), Bond 25 would be out in 2016. That would mean Craig was Bond for a decade, longer than Connery's 1962-71 Eon tenure (if you overlook his one-film absence). If the interval is three years between films, and Bond 25 is out in 2018, that means Craig will have been Bond for 12 years, matching Roger Moore's tenure (albeit with 2 fewer films).
And I'm not sure its feasible to do a Bond film in 2 years anymore without compromising on quality. QoS is living proof of that.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

If this madness continues, it seems that every rebel here will officially become what BJ said......FBFs.
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

The Sweeney wrote: And I'm not sure its feasible to do a Bond film in 2 years anymore without compromising on quality. QoS is living proof of that.
It is possible maybe not with these clowns in charge but it is possible.

There is something curious I think is lacking from Babs and Dannos talk of two more. Maybe be it's nothing well see if it comes up in later interviews.

Normally Bond movies get good reviews pretty much no matter what. It took some time for the trickle down of QOS/Quark to hit the fan. There were a few early outliers saying this film stinks, most praised it then, the negatives really properly popped up after it was released in the US. November 13th to 14th. Probably why it had a decent opener.

Some of these papers are almost the same review of the last Bond, different reviewers same start count. Not that any of this matters, they can still piss on Fleming's grave while being praised for making the best Bond film ever. Negative v Positive is fun to compare but hardly relevant to the argument raised at this place.

In one way you have to respect them if they can reinvent Bond as something it's never been then sell it successfully to people as the authentic deal, it's funny to watch people lap it up regurgitating the talking points without knowing it. Making a better film than the last one does not absolve them of their previous sins or the new ones they are committing in this one.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

Mazer Rackham wrote:
The Sweeney wrote: And I'm not sure its feasible to do a Bond film in 2 years anymore without compromising on quality. QoS is living proof of that.
It is possible maybe not with these clowns in charge but it is possible.

There is something curious I think is lacking from Babs and Dannos talk of two more. Maybe be it's nothing well see if it comes up in later interviews.

Normally Bond movies get good reviews pretty much no matter what. It took some time for the trickle down of QOS/Quark to hit the fan. There were a few early outliers saying this film stinks, most praised it then, the negatives really properly popped up after it was released in the US. November 13th to 14th. Probably why it had a decent opener.

Some of these papers are almost the same review of the last Bond, different reviewers same start count. Not that any of this matters, they can still piss on Fleming's grave while being praised for making the best Bond film ever. Negative v Positive is fun to compare but hardly relevant to the argument raised at this place.

In one way you have to respect them if they can reinvent Bond as something it's never been then sell it successfully to people as the authentic deal, it's funny to watch people lap it up regurgitating the talking points without knowing it. Making a better film than the last one does not absolve them of their previous sins or the new ones they are committing in this one.
The one review of note is Graham Rye, who is a huge Bond fan (obviously) and hated Quark. Apparently he loves Skyfall, so I will be interested to read his full review when it comes out.

The rest of this press garbage is BS journalism. I take most of it with a pinch of salt.
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Graham Rye is a curious fellow. I disagree with him about a lot, for example what he tends to think is a good Bond film usually falls outside the norm of what a Bond film traditionally is. Not that there isn't room for that, to me anomalies in a series are the exceptions not the rule.

At this point I'd be surprised to have a Skyfall fails buzz from early reviews. When people not especially chosen get it we will more balanced reviews, some have it ready but can't say yet, it's just the way it works.

I'm curious about Newman's score I haven't noticed it directly mentioned yet, not that I've looked at everything either.
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

POP QUIZ!
What year is this from?
So far, reviews out of U.K. sources such as the BBC and The Daily Mirror praise the film and the performance of _____________ as 007 for exploring the lead character’s depth and motivation in a manner not seen in a previous Bond flick.

Answer:
Spoiler
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

oscartheman
Agent

Post by oscartheman »

Craig has mommy issues.Great :roll:
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I don't mind the reviews some think we should I don't care to dignify that.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.