Discussion SPECTRE: The Unofficial Novelisation

dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Re: Discussion SPECTRE: The Unofficial Novelisation

Post by dirtybenny »

Guess its just the two of us right now Kris.

BTW liked the call back to the PERVERTS org. :cheers:
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I had a PM from Blowers with a question about the novelisation, so he's in too.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

I'm glad to hear he have some fresh blood in on this, my weak, juvenile flatulence jokes are wearing a bit thin!
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Sorry I should have said, I hesitated because I was not sure I could come up with anything worth posting.

Intending to spend time today writing, some old ideas I would like to weave in. :typing: :cheers:
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Don't give up on me yet, went a little too far down the rabbit hole. Finding my way back as we speak.
"You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes."
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Blowfeld wrote:Don't give up on me yet, went a little too far down the rabbit hole. Finding my way back as we speak.
"You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes."
Blowfeld provided an amusing chapter.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

I just put something up after reading quite a few of your hilarious takes on things... I am not sure that works at all but it's quick and I just wrote it in two minutes. Because I had to get that off my chest! :lol:
I can't believe some of the stuff this movie will subject us to, so I guess this is the best way to approach it.
"Are we on coms?"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Welcome to the club! I wouldn't worry that it only took you 2 minutes. If you write all day for a living, the last thing I would expect is for you to come home and then agonise over creating a finely crafted parody worthy of Zucker, Abrahams and Zucker.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

That was just great! Ale! Welcome to the club seconded!
We have got a lot more people involved this time around :cheers:

What bothers me about the nu-Bond is the romance, better said the love interests are so remedial. Like a all girls school vampire play. Old Bond according to Eon was vulgar in his treatment of women. Nu-bond sought to remedy this by some supposedly more emotional connections. Except they are even more paper thin than the old series.
Daniel and Eva were awful as Bond and Vesper, nothing believable about their interactions let alone Bond supposedly becoming "the way he was with women" because of her death. Now EON is trying to reinvent the wheel with Tracy 2.0, with a jumbo sized portion of an awful frothy psychobabble icing. They also removed all the aspects of Bond and Tracy which made it work at all as a story.

I'd argue Bond relationship with his wife Tracy was the most important in his life, as it should be. However He also loved to one degree or another all the women he was with. Especially in the books this is made very clear. Daniel's Bond being hungup on Vesper, then some baddie trying to be "the architect of all his pain" is so juvenile in it's concept it should be laughed at. (It will most likely be praised as high art)
The nu series goes to great pains to explain to the audience in a trailer voice over or some random character monologuing how deep and scaring the damage to Bond is making him cold, distant, unable to trust, and so on. All of which has squat to do with Ian Fleming's Bond. Yes, Ian had some deeper aspects of Bond the movies never really touched on, however his Bond has no relation to the miserable sobbing SOB Barbara created. Ian would be horrified to have this EMO drama be credited to him.

As I'm thinking about what they are attempting to do with Tracy 2.0 I can not help but notice they forgot why Tracy worked at all. It was not a causal relationship. In the original OHMSS I could see two believable characters, a grown man and woman who made an adult decision to be married and start a life together. Both bring something to a marriage. Nu-Tracy 2.0/Vesper 2.0 are about as deep as teenagers who get together on a school trip to Europe. Nobody has loved as they love, they must be together, running off to live happily every after. Except they have, no clue, no skills, no education, no money, and are destine for the Andover estate.
Daniel's deep love stories are about as believable and well thought out. The epilogue for their story if it played out in real life would be Bond's mum-in-law yelling at him to get off his arse, get a job, and provide for his wife and baby or she will kick them both out. With Bond sitting on her sofa watching Antiques road show on the telly wearing a wife beater shirt and Adidas three strip pants (tm). He gets up grumbling about what a unbelievable bitch she is, he then goes out to knock over a liquor store.

Barbara's bond is a empty man, he does not have the wherewithal to be a productive member of society out side of his government assassination job. Ian and Cubby's Bond could quit any day of the week and land on his feet, he was educated and could live happily in civilised society.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Let me third (?) the welcome to the novel! It will be nice to have a lady's touch on this project!

Blofeld, all I can say is bravo! I can't agree more, Ian and Cubby's Bond could have easily been corporate executives if they chose, the reason they weren't is they found that sort of work dreary and dull and were patriotic Britons, where as Babzy's Bond is only in this because it's a legal way to be a thug.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

Blowfeld wrote:That was just great! Ale! Welcome to the club seconded!
We have got a lot more people involved this time around :cheers:

What bothers me about the nu-Bond is the romance, better said the love interests are so remedial. Like a all girls school vampire play. Old Bond according to Eon was vulgar in his treatment of women. Nu-bond sought to remedy this by some supposedly more emotional connections. Except they are even more paper thin than the old series.
Daniel and Eva were awful as Bond and Vesper, nothing believable about their interactions let alone Bond supposedly becoming "the way he was with women" because of her death. Now EON is trying to reinvent the wheel with Tracy 2.0, with a jumbo sized portion of an awful frothy psychobabble icing. They also removed all the aspects of Bond and Tracy which made it work at all as a story.

I'd argue Bond relationship with his wife Tracy was the most important in his life, as it should be. However He also loved to one degree or another all the women he was with. Especially in the books this is made very clear. Daniel's Bond being hungup on Vesper, then some baddie trying to be "the architect of all his pain" is so juvenile in it's concept it should be laughed at. (It will most likely be praised as high art)
The nu series goes to great pains to explain to the audience in a trailer voice over or some random character monologuing how deep and scaring the damage to Bond is making him cold, distant, unable to trust, and so on. All of which has squat to do with Ian Fleming's Bond. Yes, Ian had some deeper aspects of Bond the movies never really touched on, however his Bond has no relation to the miserable sobbing SOB Barbara created. Ian would be horrified to have this EMO drama be credited to him.

As I'm thinking about what they are attempting to do with Tracy 2.0 I can not help but notice they forgot why Tracy worked at all. It was not a causal relationship. In the original OHMSS I could see two believable characters, a grown man and woman who made an adult decision to be married and start a life together. Both bring something to a marriage. Nu-Tracy 2.0/Vesper 2.0 are about as deep as teenagers who get together on a school trip to Europe. Nobody has loved as they love, they must be together, running off to live happily every after. Except they have, no clue, no skills, no education, no money, and are destine for the Andover estate.
Daniel's deep love stories are about as believable and well thought out. The epilogue for their story if it played out in real life would be Bond's mum-in-law yelling at him to get off his arse, get a job, and provide for his wife and baby or she will kick them both out. With Bond sitting on her sofa watching Antiques road show on the telly wearing a wife beater shirt and Adidas three strip pants (tm). He gets up grumbling about what a unbelievable bitch she is, he then goes out to knock over a liquor store.

Barbara's bond is a empty man, he does not have the wherewithal to be a productive member of society out side of his government assassination job. Ian and Cubby's Bond could quit any day of the week and land on his feet, he was educated and could live happily in civilised society.
Thank you (and everyone) for the warm welcome! :cheers:
Because you so accurately took on the dreadful romance writing in the Craigster's movies, I want to underline that my point was exactly to mock the way they write romance in this disgraceful new turn.
NOT a single woman would want to be with a man like Craig's Bond, let alone be ACTUALLY involved with him.

Did they ACTUALLY say that Bond was vulgar in his treatment of women? As in Sir Sean, Pierce, Sir Roger??????? :shock: :shock: :shock: Cause if they did, I will make it a point to send a message to Barbara Broccoli. And insult her appropriately and explain to her how the only thing that is ACTUALLY EXTREMELY vulgar is THIS current Bond, the way he behaves, walks, moves, his blatant ignorance for anything that isn't spy, his lack of manners, refinement and all around CLASS; Which is the OPPOSITE of who James Bond with. And his lack of class is due to the fact you CANNOT buy that or fake that, you either have it or you don't and DC NEVER IN HIS LIFE had it.
He can't pay a compliment to a woman EVER. They can't write a SINGLE actually believable flirting scene, let alone a believable romance, because the women are all cardboard cut, insignificant idiots without any depth to them that justifies ANY love on either OUR part or Bond's (Let me not get into the romance in Spectre because... well I've parodied it for a reason). The female characters are so underdeveloped OR so blatantly incompetent (the way they made Vesper in CR and I will NEVER forgive them for it because they butchered her character) that no one would ever take them into consideration if it wasn't for low decolletage and high heels and beautiful dresses.

They have made MONEYPENNY an agent when there was ZERO need for it and when that's not who the character is, because they needed a woman who had some competence and character. Especially after getting rid of Judi Dench. Except Moneypenny had both in the old version as was, she was great at her job and absolutely NECESSARY and not just a stupid accessory to the story like these women are. So of course let's OVERDO IT with Moneypenny.

They don't do a SINGLE thing right when it comes to women in Craig's movies. NOT ONE. They are by far the worst women characters this franchise has ever seen, and the romance part in particular is just laughable. There is not a single reason why any of them would bed Bond, other than him buying them an expensive dress, driving an expensive car and buying dinner. SO anything anyone vulgar with money can do.

Sir Sean, Pierce, Sir Roger and DALTON too could ALL pay a compliment to a woman AND be charming AND impertinent too when needed, while doing so. Craig can't do any of that, not even remotely. And of course these incredibly embarrassing scripts do nothing to help him in that sense. He makes bad lines atrociously bad with his lack of charm and charisma. And the romances are like Harlequin novel stories, MINUS the part where Harlequin novels actually build up all the character traits of the woman involved AND the man involved.

I have never in my life seen something so bad in terms of "how to write romance". Bad romantic comedies are better at this, and that's saying something. A GOOD romantic comedy obviously would be much better, but even BAD ones are better.

With Sir Sean, Sir Roger, Pierce, Dalton, women ALL WANTED to be seduced by Bond, and it didn't matter if it was just for one night. And by all women I mean those going to see the film, too. With Craig? They just go look for the first old rich man coming out of the gym and know they probably scored a better one than him.
"Are we on coms?"
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Ale, you are discussing Cr-egg's Bond as he relates poorly to women in his role. ECH-TRE is all about the "BRO-mance that never was" between little Ernst and Jimmy Bond :!: You cannot make this stuff up :!: I cannot believe Broccoli OK'd this script. If Ernst kisses Cr-egg's Bond, after Le Chiffre whacked Bond's genitals which was followed up by Silva creepily touching Bond's chest, we see where Broccoli is going with this garbage :!: :!: :!:
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

bjmdds wrote:Ale, you are discussing Cr-egg's Bond as he relates poorly to women in his role. ECH-TRE is all about the "BRO-mance that never was" between little Ernst and Jimmy Bond :!: You cannot make this stuff up :!: I cannot believe Broccoli OK'd this script. If Ernst kisses Cr-egg's Bond, after Le Chiffre whacked Bond's genitals which was followed up by Silva creepily touching Bond's chest, we see where Broccoli is going with this garbage :!: :!: :!:
I can EASILY believe Broccoli approved this script, because she is a talentless, ignorant, full of complexes woman. I CANNOT believe SONY approved this despite MGM's protests!!! And I mean in general, not just Pascal. Cause the email exchanges showed many people with BIG concerns over how nonsensical and lacking motive the script was. AND ALL THAT REMAINED, I can now say.
Also BJ trust...
Spoiler
Bond gets madly in love and does walk away per the original spoilers we had, with the daughter of White, Lea whatever her last name is playing the character
so that's why I was talking about the ridiculous romance angle, that Blowfeld so well tackled.
"Are we on coms?"
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

This is turning into a blast! :mrgreen: With so many people involved it's great!
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

dirtybenny wrote:Let me third (?) the welcome to the novel! It will be nice to have a lady's touch on this project!

Blofeld, all I can say is bravo! I can't agree more, Ian and Cubby's Bond could have easily been corporate executives if they chose, the reason they weren't is they found that sort of work dreary and dull and were patriotic Britons, where as Babzy's Bond is only in this because it's a legal way to be a thug.
What a succinct way of putting it. You're exactly right Ian's 007 could be a executive however as you said he found such prospects dreary.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Alessandra wrote:
Because you so accurately took on the dreadful romance writing in the Craigster's movies, I want to underline that my point was exactly to mock the way they write romance in this disgraceful new turn.
NOT a single woman would want to be with a man like Craig's Bond, let alone be ACTUALLY involved with him.

Did they ACTUALLY say that Bond was vulgar in his treatment of women? As in Sir Sean, Pierce, Sir Roger??????? :shock: :shock: :shock: Cause if they did, I will make it a point to send a message to Barbara Broccoli. And insult her appropriately and explain to her how the only thing that is ACTUALLY EXTREMELY vulgar is THIS current Bond, the way he behaves, walks, moves, his blatant ignorance for anything that isn't spy, his lack of manners, refinement and all around CLASS; Which is the OPPOSITE of who James Bond with. And his lack of class is due to the fact you CANNOT buy that or fake that, you either have it or you don't and DC NEVER IN HIS LIFE had it.
He can't pay a compliment to a woman EVER. They can't write a SINGLE actually believable flirting scene, let alone a believable romance, because the women are all cardboard cut, insignificant idiots without any depth to them that justifies ANY love on either OUR part or Bond's (Let me not get into the romance in Spectre because... well I've parodied it for a reason). The female characters are so underdeveloped OR so blatantly incompetent (the way they made Vesper in CR and I will NEVER forgive them for it because they butchered her character) that no one would ever take them into consideration if it wasn't for low decolletage and high heels and beautiful dresses.

They have made MONEYPENNY an agent when there was ZERO need for it and when that's not who the character is, because they needed a woman who had some competence and character. Especially after getting rid of Judi Dench. Except Moneypenny had both in the old version as was, she was great at her job and absolutely NECESSARY and not just a stupid accessory to the story like these women are. So of course let's OVERDO IT with Moneypenny.

They don't do a SINGLE thing right when it comes to women in Craig's movies. NOT ONE. They are by far the worst women characters this franchise has ever seen, and the romance part in particular is just laughable. There is not a single reason why any of them would bed Bond, other than him buying them an expensive dress, driving an expensive car and buying dinner. SO anything anyone vulgar with money can do.

Sir Sean, Pierce, Sir Roger and DALTON too could ALL pay a compliment to a woman AND be charming AND impertinent too when needed, while doing so. Craig can't do any of that, not even remotely. And of course these incredibly embarrassing scripts do nothing to help him in that sense. He makes bad lines atrociously bad with his lack of charm and charisma. And the romances are like Harlequin novel stories, MINUS the part where Harlequin novels actually build up all the character traits of the woman involved AND the man involved.

I have never in my life seen something so bad in terms of "how to write romance". Bad romantic comedies are better at this, and that's saying something. A GOOD romantic comedy obviously would be much better, but even BAD ones are better.

With Sir Sean, Sir Roger, Pierce, Dalton, women ALL WANTED to be seduced by Bond, and it didn't matter if it was just for one night. And by all women I mean those going to see the film, too. With Craig? They just go look for the first old rich man coming out of the gym and know they probably scored a better one than him.

I don't know if they every came out and said old Bond was vulgar however their attitude from the 1990's on have made it clear and the reboot more so. What was the point of the Woman Day PSA? It had to be Bond was such a bad actor where women are concerned this is our penance; damaging the image of a cultural icon.

Daniel's 007 attitude toward women is more concerning. It's not about attraction, or anything else that might matter. His Bond uses women for sex end of story. Ian's Bond was a romantic, the cinematic Bond could romance and as you said seduce.
For the love of pete Daniel's Bond has his way with a sex worker then watches her murder. No way Ian's 007 would stand for that! Ian's Bond had a knight in armour complex.

What bugs me is they pseudo physiology EON is trying to load behind this, on one hand they are tying to say Bond of the 60's-90's was the way he was as a result of this back story. Then they are plain ol' loading tonnes and tonnes of psychologically damaged rubbish.

The way things are set up now, when Tracy 2.0 buys the farm (as she must), poor old orphaned SAS Bond will be damaged forever without his precious yobbo speaking therapist to guide his way. :roll:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

New chapter is up, and it's one I've been itching to write for some time. I thought of the gag about Blofeld's hazelnut obsession ages ago, and have been waiting for the appropriate scene ever since. Thanks to Alessandra for skipping over some of the tedious filler so we could get there quicker. It meant that some information was lost, but I think I managed to fill in during the restaurant scene.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

Kristatos wrote:New chapter is up, and it's one I've been itching to write for some time. I thought of the gag about Blofeld's hazelnut obsession ages ago, and have been waiting for the appropriate scene ever since. Thanks to Alessandra for skipping over some of the tedious filler so we could get there quicker. It meant that some information was lost, but I think I managed to fill in during the restaurant scene.
I'm sorry for omitting some details! But I was TRULY making the point that the stuff is seriously TEDIOUS. I don't intend to write about Moneypenny scenes that are worth nothing, or C. LOL I omitted that entirely, guess we need to make up for it. I'll get to it in the next chapter.

GREAT job btw... I loved your new chapter!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Are we on coms?"
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

Blowfeld wrote:
Alessandra wrote:

I don't know if they every came out and said old Bond was vulgar however their attitude from the 1990's on have made it clear and the reboot more so. What was the point of the Woman Day PSA? It had to be Bond was such a bad actor where women are concerned this is our penance; damaging the image of a cultural icon.

Daniel's 007 attitude toward women is more concerning. It's not about attraction, or anything else that might matter. His Bond uses women for sex end of story. Ian's Bond was a romantic, the cinematic Bond could romance and as you said seduce.
For the love of pete Daniel's Bond has his way with a sex worker then watches her murder. No way Ian's 007 would stand for that! Ian's Bond had a knight in armour complex.

What bugs me is they pseudo physiology EON is trying to load behind this, on one hand they are tying to say Bond of the 60's-90's was the way he was as a result of this back story. Then they are plain ol' loading tonnes and tonnes of psychologically damaged rubbish.

The way things are set up now, when Tracy 2.0 buys the farm (as she must), poor old orphaned SAS Bond will be damaged forever without his precious yobbo speaking therapist to guide his way. :roll:
Well he throws gun in river, steals the Aston from Q and leaves everything for her, so I'm guessing that's a yes. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Are we on coms?"
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Discussion SPECTRE: The Unofficial Novelisation

Post by Omega »

Alessandra wrote:
Blowfeld wrote:
Alessandra wrote:

Well he throws gun in river, steals the Aston from Q and leaves everything for her, so I'm guessing that's a yes. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Guess that means if Craig is not in the sequel his bond lived happily ever after. If bond 25 happens with Craig it's going to be a lame revenge movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007: