Publisher(s) Nintendo
Platform(s) Game Boy
Release date 1997
Genre(s) Platform game
Mode(s) Single player
Rating(s) ESRB: E
OFLC: G8+
Media 512-kilobit cartridge

James Bond 007 is a Game Boy video game, starring Ian Fleming's secret agent, James Bond. Released in 1997, and capitalising on the success of the previous year's game GoldenEye 007 for Nintendo 64, the game features an original story mixing together characters from multiple James Bond films, from Oddjob to Jaws. Unlike the previous Bond game, this title was of the adventure genre, viewed from a top-down prespective. It also incorporated gambling mini-games such as Baccarat and Blackjack.

Gameplay

Gameplay for James Bond 007 place in a top-view mode, reminiscent to the 8-bit The Legend of Zelda titles. As James Bond the player can control an arsenal of weapons and items however he can only use two at a time.

Plot

M, head of MI6, instructs 007 to go on a mission to stop an illegal weapons ring run by General Gogol. 003 has already been sent but is classified as "missing in action". 007 must find 003's whereabouts, stop the weapons ring, and of course, get the girl.

Items

Pistol - Clearly a 1960 representation of 007's Walther PPk.

Machete - Used for cutting weeds.

Machine Gun - Fires 3 round bursts.

Rocket Launcher - Launches dumb-fired rockets, great for taking out multiple attackers.

Grenade Pen - Destroys boulders, or other heavy obstructions.

Med Kit - replenishes all health

Small Med Kit - replenishes partial health

Vest - armor for any type of attack.

Shield - Stops bullets.

Mirror - Stops laser beams

Laser Watch - cuts through locks

Underground Card - Gives you access to shortcuts in underground catacombs.

M.A.R.B.L.E. - Used to obtain an alternate ending
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Re: James Bond 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

In my opinion, this is one of the better handheld James Bond games, along with Everything Or Nothing for the Game Boy Advance. I liked how the gameplay was similar to the old Legend Of Zelda games, as well as the original storyline and all the classic Bond references. I'd like to play this again, but unfortunately my game cartridge doesn't work too well anymore.
BrosnanIsBond007
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, The World Is Not Enough, Skyfall, Dr. No

Post by BrosnanIsBond007 »

I agree, Saint. A friend of mine let me borrow this when I was a kid and it was pretty cool - an interesting change of pace from Goldeneye, and really fun for long car rides. Plus I would listen to the Bond title music for several minutes before starting the game :mrgreen: I was always really confused by Baccarat though and never understood the rules at all ha.

"For England, James?"
"No, for me."
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

BrosnanIsBond007 wrote:I agree, Saint. A friend of mine let me borrow this when I was a kid and it was pretty cool - an interesting change of pace from Goldeneye, and really fun for long car rides. Plus I would listen to the Bond title music for several minutes before starting the game :mrgreen: I was always really confused by Baccarat though and never understood the rules at all ha.
I didn't understand the rules for the Baccarat game either. I would just take random guesses and hope that I got lucky.