Developer(s) Domark
Publisher(s) Domark
Platform(s) Mega Drive/Genesis, Sega Master System
Release date JPN May 14, 1993 [1]
USA 1993
PAL 1993
Genre(s) Action game
Mode(s) Single player

James Bond: The Duel (known as 007 Shitou in Japan) is a James Bond video game released for the Sega Master System, the Sega Game Gear and the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis. It is loosely based on the spy films featuring Ian Fleming's secret agent, 007.

The game was developed and published by Domark and released in 1993.

Plot

Armed with a pistol, the player controls James Bond through various side-scrolling enemy bases to rescue female hostages and arm a bomb placed at a strategic point to destroy the base. Along the way, Bond must battle numerous thugs and familiar bosses. The game is often compared to Namco's Rolling Thunder series, although it was much less popular with the critics.

Notes

The Duel is notable among Bond games for a number of reasons. Although it was released 4 years after Timothy Dalton's last outing as James Bond (in Licence to Kill) his likeness is used in the game, most notably the opening screens (presumably as Dalton was still under contract to appear in future films), thus making it Dalton's last appearance in a Bond game to date. It was also the final Bond game to be released by Domark, who had released a series of Bond themed games beginning in 1985 with A View to a Kill.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, it was the first Bond game not to be directly based on a movie or novel. Instead it featured an original storyline, albeit one featuring familiar villains including Jaws and Oddjob. Though The Duel's storyline was not its strong point, it did blaze a trail for future licence-holders EA, half of whose Bond output would be based on original storylines. One previous Bond game, the Delphine developed, The Stealth Affair, included an original storyline but the game was originally based on a generic Bond-style character named John Glames and only had the licence added for its U.S. release.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Re: James Bond: The Duel

Post by The Saint 007 »

I watched a playthrough of this game on YouTube, and this may sound crazy, but I actually like the idea of a side-scrolling Bond game. Providing that you have a good company developing it, an adventurous side-scrolling Bond game with great level design, items/weapons, catchy music, etc. would be awesome. It would certainly be more fun than these scripted/linear Craig Of Duty Bond games from Activision.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

Ah, retro Bond. I've got this for the Sega Master System. I like set up my MS2 every now and again and play it, along with:

Sonic The Hedgehog
Cool Spot
Master Of Darkness
Robocop vs Terminator
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I still have a sega some place. man back when 16 bit games were the bomb :lol: In those days the it about tyring to find the best system to play Mortal Kombat on.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.