Next Bond Video Game: Your Choice?

James Bond Jr., James Bond: The Duel, GoldenEye 007, James Bond 007, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World Is Not Enough, 007 Racing, Agent Under Fire, The World is Not Enough, Nightfire, Everything or Nothing, GoldenEye: Rogue Agent, From Russia with Love
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Next Bond Video Game: Your Choice?

Post by John P. Drake »

Now, we know that Activision has let go of the 007 gaming license, there will be new companies to takeover the job. What I really want is an old school First-Person Shooter/Third-Person Shooter video game, featuring driving elements and lots of classic gadgets we've been really fond of. Such as the iconic laser watch (GoldenEye 007 (1997), The World Is Not Enough (2000), Nightfire (2002), From Russia With Love (2005), and improperly in 007 Legends (2010) but still we had it, LOL!), then the grappling phone or watch (TWINE, AUF, NF, EON, FRWL), etc. However, now the license has been cut loose, it's unknown whoever will acquire the license, but someone decent must take it, such as Devolver (Serious Sam series), Valve (Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, Black Mesa) or even the best one, Rockstar Games (Max Payne, Grand Theft Auto, LA Noire, Red Dead), those kind of developers know how to handle it, specially when it's an old school shooter. But, I what I want for a Bond game is that it's ought to be a spiritual sequel to either GE64 or TWINE64, or AUF or NF, or EON. What else would be better? Nothing. How about you? What do you want to see in a Bond game or how do you want to see it?:
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Re: Next Bond Video Game: Your Choice?

Post by The Saint 007 »

FPS/third-person styles are cool, but after watching a video of the game James Bond: The Duel, I actually wouldn't mind a side-scrolling Bond game. Providing that you have a good company developing it, an adventurous side-scrolling Bond game with great level design, cool items/weapons, boss fights, catchy music, etc would be awesome. I liked James Bond 007 for the original Game Boy, which played similar to the classic Zelda games, so a side-scrolling Bond game might not be a bad idea for something different.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

Side scrollers, ah... fond memories. *drifts back to the days of Sonic and no Memory Cards/HDD's* :) But I think in this day and age, it would need to be 1st or 3rd person.
Glorious England
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: DR No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only, A View to A Kill, The Living Daylights, Goldeneye, Tommorow Never Dies.
Favorite Movies: Too Many to List... lets just say anyhting over the top, comic book like, and very manly with lots of action and great scriptwriting.

Post by Glorious England »

For Me, i want a Classic First Person Shooter game as well, No limit on the number of guns you can carry, health that is Purely restored by finding medikits and protected with armour, (NO REGEN) i want Static Crosshairs with bond's shots NEVER being lower than 90% accurate, even when he is straffing at full speed and firing full auto with an AKM, i want bond to have a high running speed, equal to or greater than his speed in NF on Gamecube, and "sights" only featured on sniper rifles.

i also want Bond to be able to jump, climb, grab ledges, use zipwires, clamber around on fences, gantries and ladders, all in first person, and all controlled manually.

i want NO checkpoints, you make a mistake, you RESTART the level from scratch, to punish you for being a bad gamer and to make sure you dont get it wrong again, i want levels with Vehicles i can Drive, i want NO "Rail shooter" sections, as they are very boring. i want vehicles in first person.

i want FULL hand to hand combat with bond able to deliver punches, kicks and throws, all in first person under FULL manual controll, i dont want to see a SINGLE quick time event, i want Third Person cutscenes, with the player in 100% command at all times the game is in first person, i want proper stealth levels were you are not allowed to kill anyone.

i want the game to have a minimal lifespan, of 14 hours and at least 30 levels, the last of wich can only be accessed on HARD or Custom Difficulty (wich unlocks after doing the game on hard) to force the player to face the games challenge, i want the option of BLOOD, (although it defaults to bloodless to keep the "bond" feel), i want a "psuedobond" as seen in AUF, As a refuse to accept cr-egg, and i want the plotline to be written by someone COMPETANT, preferably Gregg Rucka, and feature super-villains, weapons of mass destruction, a threat to the world, and at least ONE underground lair.

i want Pseudobond to be at least 42 years old, with a handsome, distinqished "weathered" face, going a little grey at the temples, i want him to have a posh voice with a received pronunciation way of speaking, i want him to be dryly humorous with a love of one liners, be calm in temper, be incredibly patriotic, i want him to be good natured, and most of all i want him to act like a classic Gentleman, think Mike Gambit (the much missed Gareth Hunt) from "the new avengers (TV series)" and you are there.

i want bond to be on his own at all times, with no AI back up! i want Open Plan, complicated levels with at least 12 objectives in each, at least 2 of wich require a puzzle to solve, and NO level minimap or checkpoints, the player has to find his or her own way around. there must be NO controll hints, or any form of gameplay hints, the player should be forced to read the manual and play the OPTIONAL stand alone tutorial level to learn how to play the game. each level must be no shorter than 20 muinuites in length, on a speed run!

i want all real world weapons, fully lisceneced (a-la EON) , I want BOSS fights, with bossed that have a huge amoutn of health, special weapons, and special armour, who need dedicated tactics to deafeat (i HATE this "mooks but no bosses" thing, its anticlimatic) some "puzzle bosses" would be nice. i want gadgets to return, such as the lazer watch, with grapple, dartgun and tazer modes, and all weapons to have secondary fire modes.

Finally, i want the game to be handled Published by Rockstar Games in Partnership with Warner Brothers interactive, as i want Warner Brothers to take over the film rights and remove ALL rights from EON to sop babs from contuning to ruin the franchise, and i want Development handled by a company experienced and competant with classic first person shooters. such as Croteam, Farm 51, ValveCorp or Remedy.

Any and all modern "COD style" gameplay elements are UNNACCEPTABLE!

the game should be launched on PC first, and developed FOR the PC, and then ported to console after the game has been on pc 6 months, the console port is to be markedly inferior to the PC version.

the game HAS to be a the game that allows Ge64 to retire as the best bond game, and be aimed Purely at "hardcore elitst" gamers, anything else is Unacceptable and i will not be purchasing, as i beleive casual gaming and the glut of COD clones will cause the industry to TANK again, like it did in 1983, wich was again casued by casual gamers. i have no support for games that appeal to casual gamers and refuse to by them and feel those who develop them deserve to be SHUT DOWN for "selling out".

that is all.
Last edited by Glorious England on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
God Save The Queen.
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

^^^ What Glorious England Said!!!!! ^^^
:britflag: :britflag: :britflag:

:cheers:
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

An FPS game without checkpoints? Can developers even get away with something like that nowadays?
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:Side scrollers, ah... fond memories. *drifts back to the days of Sonic and no Memory Cards/HDD's* :) But I think in this day and age, it would need to be 1st or 3rd person.
2D platformer games are still very popular, and there has been a surge in retro styled games being made recently. I don't know how well it would work when it comes to Bond, but being a fan of the old-school platformer games, I certainly wouldn't mind the idea.
Glorious England
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: DR No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only, A View to A Kill, The Living Daylights, Goldeneye, Tommorow Never Dies.
Favorite Movies: Too Many to List... lets just say anyhting over the top, comic book like, and very manly with lots of action and great scriptwriting.

Post by Glorious England »

They can Get away with no Checkpoints quite easilly, by having the game launched on PC, they can say the game is aimed at an older, more experienced target market, and that by having checkpoints they would anger that market and loose the majority of the games potential sales, while failing to pick up any "casual" sales because casual gamers, as we know, expect everything to be like "call of duty" and would be turned off by the classic mechanics, while also showing proof that using the classic mechanics will result in HIGHER sales on the pc platform (wich they would) than using modern mechanics, and by aiming at PC they will get Higher sales anyway than they would by aiming at consoles, due to a consumer malaise on the console systems and with "modern shooters" in general due to market over-saturation. sure, its sneaky and a bit dishouenst, but, its for the best. :up:

if the company still wont play ball, they can always be placated by an optional LIMITED USE, manually operated, mid level save system with up to 4 manual mid level saves on easy, and up to 2 saves on normal, difficulties. but is disabled on Hard, that normally tends to calm them down, enabling the less capabale gamer to still have a safefty net, while allowing the older gamer to still have there prefered, "forced restart" if they get it wrong by simply not using the manual mid level save, or by playing the game on hard (wich they should always play on anyway), were mid level save is disabled.

its all about playing tactics, and not being a bunch of lazy sell outs. :D
God Save The Queen.
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

A random example, but I do recall the Donkey Kong Country games having a cheat option that allows you to play the game without the checkpoint barrels. So having no checkpoints would probably work best as an optional challenge, since checkpoints and saves have pretty much become the standard in gaming.

When it comes to difficulty, I usually like to start with the easiest setting to get the feel of the game, and then gradually work my way through the higher difficulty settings for extra challenge. What I liked about FPS games such as GoldenEye 64 and Perfect Dark, was that each difficulty setting was different in the amount of objectives to complete, armour pick-ups, traps, and enemy difficulty. I found it fun to play through all the difficulties, because it offered a new experience each time.

I also think being awarded for completing certain challenges is good too. With some of the Bond games of the past, you could unlock new characters, stages, etc by completing missions on a certain difficulty/time limit.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

The Saint 007 wrote:
Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:Side scrollers, ah... fond memories. *drifts back to the days of Sonic and no Memory Cards/HDD's* :) But I think in this day and age, it would need to be 1st or 3rd person.
2D platformer games are still very popular, and there has been a surge in retro styled games being made recently. I don't know how well it would work when it comes to Bond, but being a fan of the old-school platformer games, I certainly wouldn't mind the idea.
What 2D platform games have been released recently? :?
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:
The New Super Mario Bros. games, Mega Man 9 and 10, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Rayman Origins, and there has been at least a couple of new 2D Sonic games. These are just some I can think of at the moment, but there's various other retail/downloadable 2D platform games released recently as well.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O

The Saint 007 wrote:
Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:
The New Super Mario Bros. games, Mega Man 9 and 10, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Rayman Origins, and there has been at least a couple of new 2D Sonic games. These are just some I can think of at the moment, but there's various other retail/downloadable 2D platform games released recently as well.
Ah, that would explain my lack of knowledge on reccent platform games. I don't download games and the last Mario & Donkey Kong games that I played, were on the N64 and the last Sonic that I played, was on the Master System II.
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Let's face it, side-scrolled games are not a huge trademark nowadays. In my opinion, it's either FPS or TPS.
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

JackJamesBond007 wrote:Let's face it, side-scrolled games are not a huge trademark nowadays. In my opinion, it's either FPS or TPS.
According to VGChartz, New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii is nearly at 27 million copies sold, and Donkey Kong Country Returns is nearly 6 million. The 2D platfoming games (especially Mario) still do pretty well for the most part, and there's been some retro styled downloadable games that are fairy popular. When it come to Bond, the FPS or third person style is probably best, but perhaps a 2D side-scrolling style would work on a handheld. It would be nice to have a cool handheld James Bond game. Out of the ones I've played, my favourites are James Bond 007 for the original Game Boy, and Everything Or Nothing for the Game Boy Advance.
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

The Saint 007 wrote:
JackJamesBond007 wrote:Let's face it, side-scrolled games are not a huge trademark nowadays. In my opinion, it's either FPS or TPS.
According to VGChartz, New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii is nearly at 27 million copies sold, and Donkey Kong Country Returns is nearly 6 million. The 2D platfoming games (especially Mario) still do pretty well for the most part, and there's been some retro styled downloadable games that are fairy popular. When it come to Bond, the FPS or third person style is probably best, but perhaps a 2D side-scrolling style would work on a handheld. It would be nice to have a cool handheld James Bond game. Out of the ones I've played, my favourites are James Bond 007 for the original Game Boy, and Everything Or Nothing for the Game Boy Advance.
Yes, I know, but the Bond games didn't really take off until GE64, which was a First-Person Shooter, the first one in the series. Yes, Mario has lots of bestsellers, because they are being purchased by the Mario fans, who exist ever since 1980s, but the Bond fans prefer FPS/TPS games, bascially, shooters. I'm not saying sidescrollers are bad, but they just can't work with Bond nowadays.
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

JackJamesBond007 wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:
Yes, I know, but the Bond games didn't really take off until GE64, which was a First-Person Shooter, the first one in the series. Yes, Mario has lots of bestsellers, because they are being purchased by the Mario fans, who exist ever since 1980s, but the Bond fans prefer FPS/TPS games, bascially, shooters. I'm not saying sidescrollers are bad, but they just can't work with Bond nowadays.
The side-scrolling style might work better on a handheld, though. Either that or in the classic Zelda style of James Bond 007 on Game Boy, which people actually consider to be a pretty decent handheld Bond game. I remember in the late 1990's, James Bond 007 and GoldenEye 64 were always featured on the top charts in the Nintendo Power magazine. The thing is, if a company could establish a quality reputation for the Bond games on both the consoles and handhelds, then that would be awesome.
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

The Saint 007 wrote:
JackJamesBond007 wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:
The side-scrolling style might work better on a handheld, though. Either that or in the classic Zelda style of James Bond 007 on Game Boy, which people actually consider to be a pretty decent handheld Bond game. I remember in the late 1990's, James Bond 007 and GoldenEye 64 were always featured on the top charts in the Nintendo Power magazine. The thing is, if a company could establish a quality reputation for the Bond games on both the consoles and handhelds, then that would be awesome.
Good point with that, on handheld, it might look good. Specially on Nintendo 3DS, it would be awesome.
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

JackJamesBond007 wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:The side-scrolling style might work better on a handheld, though. Either that or in the classic Zelda style of James Bond 007 on Game Boy, which people actually consider to be a pretty decent handheld Bond game. I remember in the late 1990's, James Bond 007 and GoldenEye 64 were always featured on the top charts in the Nintendo Power magazine. The thing is, if a company could establish a quality reputation for the Bond games on both the consoles and handhelds, then that would be awesome.
Good point with that, on handheld, it might look good. Specially on Nintendo 3DS, it would be awesome.
Yes, I was also thinking of the Nintendo 3DS as well. A side-scrolling or top-down style would probably be better for the handheld than a watered-down console port. The goal is to be as distant from Activision as possible, having a series of Bond games both on the consoles and a handheld (or handhelds) that offer unique/quality experiences.
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

The Saint 007 wrote:
JackJamesBond007 wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:The side-scrolling style might work better on a handheld, though. Either that or in the classic Zelda style of James Bond 007 on Game Boy, which people actually consider to be a pretty decent handheld Bond game. I remember in the late 1990's, James Bond 007 and GoldenEye 64 were always featured on the top charts in the Nintendo Power magazine. The thing is, if a company could establish a quality reputation for the Bond games on both the consoles and handhelds, then that would be awesome.
Yes, I was also thinking of the Nintendo 3DS as well. A side-scrolling or top-down style would probably be better for the handheld than a watered-down console port. The goal is to be as distant from Activision as possible, having a series of Bond games both on the consoles and a handheld (or handhelds) that offer unique/quality experiences.
I would love them to focus more on Windows PC, because we have three mindblowing games missing on that platform.
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

JackJamesBond007 wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:
JackJamesBond007 wrote:
I would love them to focus more on Windows PC, because we have three mindblowing games missing on that platform.
That's true. But it wouldn't hurt to occasionally release a cool handheld Bond game.

I guess I'll also add to this thread that I would like to see AI Bots in multiplayer again. If it was done years ago on the Nintendo 64, which most developers said was a difficult console to program for, then there should be no excuses why it can't be done now.