The End of the World

News and other Non-Bond Discussions
commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS YOLT GOLDFINGER LALD FYEO GOLDENEYE
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

The End of the World

Post by commander0077again »

Well, for this Christmas season, my thoughts have turned to cheerful topics like genetic meltdown of the human race! Blofeld and friends would have a field day with this one, not to mention Bond's brother, Ernie.

I came across geneticists who have made public what has been an 'open secret' until a few years ago, it seems. Contrary to popular films of mutants, mutations are very very bad guys. Some researchers put the number of harmful mutations each human will pass on to the next generation to 100. Some say 300. In other words, we are not 'evolving' upwards but devolving downwards (genetic entropy, Mr. Bond).

The human degeneration rate is @ 2% each generation. With a 1% decline, there is a sharp decline in fitness after 300 generations, about 6000 years. If true, this corresponds to the Biblical timeframe, hm.

Dr. John Stanford, Cornell (and others) did statistical regressions of the Biblical life expectancies, from Noah's 950 years to today's 70 after 32 centuries.

Remarkable thing about the curve is that it's very similar to theoretical curves from other researchers on genetic degeneration.

And so, if the Biblical timeframe is correct, 4000 years have passed since Noah, so we have 2000 years to go! Actually, I'm not saddened at the news, if true. Reality is reality. :cake:
You move very well for a dead man, Mister Bond

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Re: The End of the World

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

There is a cheap tv science fiction movie in that theory. :twisted:
commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS YOLT GOLDFINGER LALD FYEO GOLDENEYE
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

Post by commander0077again »

I was thinking the same thing, although maybe it could have an adequate budget. On tangent, I've always wondered why Indiana Jones never searched for Noah's Ark. You could see all the bad guys trying to take Indy out; and if the Ark was found, the baddies would want to destroy it. But of course, as in The Last Crusade, something supernatural happens and faces melt and so on. :cake:
You move very well for a dead man, Mister Bond

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

commander0077again wrote:I was thinking the same thing, although maybe it could have an adequate budget. On tangent, I've always wondered why Indiana Jones never searched for Noah's Ark. You could see all the bad guys trying to take Indy out; and if the Ark was found, the baddies would want to destroy it. But of course, as in The Last Crusade, something supernatural happens and faces melt and so on. :cake:
Probably too similar to Raiders. One Ark is enough. Plus, was Noah's Ark supposed to possess occult power like the Ark of the Covenant was? I don't know if there a reason why the Nazis (or alt-right, as I believe we're supposed to call them nowadays) would be searching for it.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig