Breaking News Thread

News and other Non-Bond Discussions
katied

Re: Breaking News Thread

Post by katied »

I never liked Tipper back in the day-the PMRC(Parents' Music Resource Council) was her idea. :down:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

No offence to anyone called Tipper or with relatives called Tipper, but it is a daft name!
Bring back Bond!
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

His is too full of himself now and believes his own spin.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Gunman kills 12 people in Cumbria rampage

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10219655.stm
Twelve people have been killed by a gunman who went on the rampage across Cumbria in north-west England.

Taxi driver Derrick Bird shot dead a colleague in the town of Whitehaven before driving through the countryside apparently targeting people at random.

Twenty-five others were injured, three critically and five seriously. Police said they had 30 separate crime scenes.

Mr Bird's body was found in a wooded area in Boot in the Lake District and two weapons have been recovered.

Three of the victims were named locally as Darren Rewcastle, Garry Purdham and Michael Pike.

Mr Rewcastle was a taxi driver. Mr Purdham was a farmer's son and is believed to have had two young children.

The mass shooting is England's worst since 1987, when gun fanatic Michael Ryan killed 16 people in Hungerford, Berkshire.

The Queen said she was "deeply shocked" by the shootings and shared the country's "grief and horror".

What went wrong

Hospital sources told the BBC that one injured woman in her 20s was being treated for gunshot wounds to her chest, arm and side.

Another man, believed to be a local taxi driver, suffered a serious gunshot wound to his hand. He was due to be transferred to a hospital in Newcastle in the next 24 hours for plastic surgery.

One patient, already transferred to Newcastle, was said to have serious head injuries.

Stuart Hyde, Cumbria Police's Deputy Chief Constable, said: "We are still at a very early stage in our investigation and we are not able to really understand the motivation behind it - or establish whether this was a premeditated or random attack.

"Current indications are that 12 people have died, plus Derrick Bird. And a number of people are also receiving treatment in hospital.

"We are working hard to support the families of those involved and our focus is now on gathering as much evidence as possible to build up a clear picture of what happened this morning.

"We want to clearly understand his possession of these weapons, what happened, what went wrong and why he decided to use these to shoot people.

Shooting victims Gary Purdham (left) and Darren Rewcastle Mr Hyde added that investigators would be speaking to people who knew Mr Bird about the days leading up to the rampage.

He said: "What we want to do is ensure we understand what has happened, speak to people about him, his life, what has gone on in the last few days, what might have turned somebody into a killer."

Anyone concerned about the whereabouts of relatives should contact Cumbria Police's Casualty Bureau hotline.

After the first shooting, witnesses said Mr Bird drove through Whitehaven with a gun hanging out of his car window, then headed south through Gosforth and Seascale before turning inland.

As well as Whitehaven, fatalities have been confirmed in Egremont, Seascale and Gosforth.

As he began his first Prime Minister's Questions today, David Cameron said the House of Commons would be "alarmed and shocked by the events unfolding in Cumbria".

He said: "When lives and communities are suddenly shattered in this way, our thoughts should be with all those caught up in these tragic events, especially the families and friends of those killed or injured."

After the killings, detectives said 52-year-old Mr Bird drove to the central Lakes in a Citroen Picasso, then abandoned it in the Boot area.

Before his body was discovered, people living nearby were urged to stay indoors for their own protection.

Cannot play media.You do not have the correct version of the flash player. Download the correct version
Cyclist Barrie Moss: "I saw he had a rifle and then he stared at me"
Helicopters and armed officers from other police forces were brought in to help apprehend the gunman.

Mr Hyde added: "We have a number of crime scenes across the county, which are being staffed by police officers, and I would ask people to show a little bit of restraint and respect in regard to those scenes as we try and piece together exactly what has gone on."

A major incident has been declared at West Cumberland Hospital, in Whitehaven, where the NHS said all routine operations had been cancelled.

The Accident and Emergency department at the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle is also on full incident stand-by, the hospital trust said.

West Cumbria University Hospitals Trust deputy chief executive Kevin Clarkson, speaking from West Cumberland Hospital in Whitehaven, said: "The hospital's trust is part of the community it serves and our staff share in the grief.

"The following is an update on those who are most seriously injured. Three casualties are in a critical condition, five are in a serious condition."

Cumbria Police Casualty BureauContinue reading the main story
0800 096 0095
The Sellafield nuclear reprocessing plant in west Cumbria closed its gates as a safety precaution and afternoon shift workers were being told to stay away, though the site has since reopened.

The Whitehaven victim, believed to be a colleague of Mr Bird, was killed at 1035 BST.

A local taxi firm boss, Glenda Pears, said: "We just don't know what's happened.

"The lad that's been killed was friends with him. They used to stand together having a craic on the rank.

"He was friends with everybody and used to stand and joke on Duke Street."

Sue Matthews, a telephonist at A2B Taxis in Whitehaven, said the Mr Bird was self-employed and lived alone. She described him as a "quiet fellow".
Bring back Bond!
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Dear god what a tragedy Carl!! Let us know what happens!

Speaking of updates that damned Joran van der Sloot (suspected of killing Natalee Holloway) is wanted another for killing another girl
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
katied

Post by katied »

carl stromberg wrote:No offence to anyone called Tipper or with relatives called Tipper, but it is a daft name!
LOL it's a nickname..her real name is Mary Elizabeth,not the worst name to have!
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

katied wrote:
carl stromberg wrote:No offence to anyone called Tipper or with relatives called Tipper, but it is a daft name!
LOL it's a nickname..her real name is Mary Elizabeth,not the worst name to have!
We've always though well of Tipper.
I think Tipper is sick to death of Al, he doesn't need her to stand by his side in a political run any more and she is probably just about sick of all his environmentalist holyer-than-thou stuff. The kiss at the 2000 convention are grounds enough for divorce in my book. It probably would have ended with a knee to his groin if the nation hadn't been watching

I heard on the radio home That Joran van der Sloot scumbag was caught, lets see how that SOB likes justice in a south America when his daddy cant buy his freedom.

weird tie in I was doing a search for more new about vandersloot and found this, don't know how old it is
CNN Poll: ObamaCare About as Popular as Joran van der Sloot on a Blind Date
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
oscartheman
Agent

Post by oscartheman »

f**k Helen Thomas
Spoiler
Helen Thomas tells Jews to go back to Germany
[video][/video]
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Tipper is a nickname! I can't tell with these Americans as they often have stupid names. :twisted:
Bring back Bond!
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Englsih comedian Frank Sidebottom has died.
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote:English comedian Frank Sidebottom has died.
Real name Chris Sievey. This is sad news. For those who don't know, Frank Sidebottom was a bit of a cult character in the '80s. It's kind of hard to explain Sidebottom, so here's his infamous Queen medley, so you can see for yourself.

[video][/video]
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

Not really big news(well it is to our family): Today is my parents' 48th wedding anniversary :cheers: All together now: Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Congrats to them katie. Nice to see a marriage last more than five minutes nowadays.
katied

Post by katied »

Captain Nash wrote:Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Congrats to them katie. Nice to see a marriage last more than five minutes nowadays.

We've had a few divorces in our family-aunts and uncles, and one of my cousins, but then again my oldest brother has been married 22 years(well 22 years next month) and the other brother has been married 19 years.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

A little late for breaking news, perhaps, but Pete Quaife, the original bassist with one of my all-time favourite bands, The Kinks, has died. He was 66, and his health had apparently been deteriorating for some time.

http://www.modculture.info/2010/06/pete ... s-rip.html
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

So much in the news and so little time.

Al Gore the crazed sex poodle :shock: Bill Clinton is laughing his ass off now :lol:

Tiger Woods divorce . not unexpected, Maybe he and gore should join a selfhelp group

Supreme Court nominee Kagan.. what a joke. no experience no credentials worth mentioning and wont answer questions, she is as bad as that lady Bush nominated. She should step aside for a real judge, someone at work said she is like another czar being appointed and not a judge. I kind of agree with that.

The Gulf Coast oil disaster .. ruined our trip to Florida, family were going to stay with called us to tell us the oil was on the beach, so we are all meeting somewhere else. what a bunch of screw up the obama administration turned out to be. This along with all the BS pork laden bills the Dems has pushed through has me sick of the whole bunch. What a mistake we made with this guy. and why the hell can't we let the foreign ships in to help. i understand keeping the Iranians out but the dutch?

BP .. screw BP.. but I don't think that they and all of the other oil companies are not trying their best to stop this. its bad for all the oil companies. However BP seems to be run by a bunch of screwups who don't know or care. But the Obama administration made mistake publishing that picture of the jerk on his boat all I could think of is Obama at the golf course or doing just about anything beside deal with the problem.

The Arizona law.. at first I was against it thought it was a bad law, then I read some more about it. I would be happy with it in our state. Hell I'd be happy with Canada or Mexico's immigration laws.

Oh well...

Happy 4th of july if I don't get to stop by before then
:cheers:
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

oh yah the McCrystal thing, unless he was falling on is sword to bring attention to teh situation in Afghanistan he was an idiot leting Rolling stone hang around with him. I think the new general is much better choice (despite that fact the democrats attacked him not 2 years ago :oops: ) Getting rid of the no fire rule and stupid yellow heart award for no engaging in combat is a very good thing.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Dr. No wrote:So much in the news and so little time.

Al Gore the crazed sex poodle :shock: Bill Clinton is laughing his ass off now :lol:

Tiger Woods divorce . not unexpected, Maybe he and gore should join a selfhelp group

Supreme Court nominee Kagan.. what a joke. no experience no credentials worth mentioning and wont answer questions, she is as bad as that lady Bush nominated. She should step aside for a real judge, someone at work said she is like another czar being appointed and not a judge. I kind of agree with that.

The Gulf Coast oil disaster .. ruined our trip to Florida, family were going to stay with called us to tell us the oil was on the beach, so we are all meeting somewhere else. what a bunch of screw up the obama administration turned out to be. This along with all the BS pork laden bills the Dems has pushed through has me sick of the whole bunch. What a mistake we made with this guy. and why the hell can't we let the foreign ships in to help. i understand keeping the Iranians out but the dutch?

BP .. screw BP.. but I don't think that they and all of the other oil companies are not trying their best to stop this. its bad for all the oil companies. However BP seems to be run by a bunch of screwups who don't know or care. But the Obama administration made mistake publishing that picture of the jerk on his boat all I could think of is Obama at the golf course or doing just about anything beside deal with the problem.

The Arizona law.. at first I was against it thought it was a bad law, then I read some more about it. I would be happy with it in our state. Hell I'd be happy with Canada or Mexico's immigration laws.

Oh well...

Happy 4th of july if I don't get to stop by before then
:cheers:
I think it's time to emigrate Dr. :lol:
Bring back Bond!
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I am all for emigration in to our country. But we feel so guilty about being a wealthy nation (or we were)we turn a blind eye to the problem because we feel bad for the poor Mexicans crossing over. By turning a blind eye we are actually hurting the very people we want to help.coyotes forcing people in to virtual slavery, the farm industry are using them as no better then slaves for labor at a third of a cost they legally have to pay. Then there are the drug mules and drug gangs, some of the gangs are controlling parts of the US side of the AZ boarder.

We get blasted by Mexico but their migration laws and enforcement are draconian in comparison, but Mexico gets billions of dollars in income from the migrant workers sending money back so they do not want the boarder sealed

We get blamed for the guns heading in to Mexico, well we it is our fault for buying the drugs but the guns being complained about (fully automatic) come from china mostly.

There are jackets (military looking) with Arabic writing on them found close to the boarder, we have to assume terrorist cells have crossed over shedding their tells.

I do not want profiling and I do not want America as seal up as protectionist state keeping all emigrants out, but we have a boarder problem and we need it fix. the federal government has given up on it for whatever reason (i mean carter,reagan, bush, Clinton, bush 2 and obama). It seems like the Republicans and Dems think they can get big a voting block some time in the future by pandering to people who are not even citizens....yet.
While I feel bad for the poor migrants who work here on the cheap I want to say to them when I see them wait you should be making a real wage, these guys are using you and its wrong! people being abused bothers me worse than anythign else.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

It's another case of the disconnect between the elites and the people. Most Americans are fine with legal immigration, but (rightly) want to end illegal immigration. But the elites love illegal immigration because it provides them with a pool of cheap labor that they can pay sub-minimum wages to. As someone who emigrated to the US legally, I found more and more hurdles placed in my way, and I'm convinced it's because there are powerful forces who want to make legal immigration more difficult because they want to encourage people to enter the States illegally.