Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Re: Breaking News Thread

Post by Dr. No »

bjmdds wrote:Terrible news. They shot 5 episodes of the second new season of Dallas so ratings will be HUGE in January as the Ledger factor proved in TDN. Can Dallas survive without Larry? I met him at a Chiller Theatre convention years back. A very friendly nice guy. His smoking and excessive drinking his younger years did him in now. Sad, very sad.
A legend has died. I was surprised they brought him back for the TV series at his age but he was a very active fellow.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Larry Hagman had filmed several episodes of Season 2 of TNT's "Dallas" when he died on Friday, and according to a new report, producers of the show will give him a befitting send-off. Producers of the show are expected to quickly begin work on the send-off, sources told The Hollywood Reporter. The ratings will be HUGE now this season and break all cable records. Always the eccentric, the actor once said in an interview that he wanted his body to be cremated after death, and the ashes “spread over a field and have marijuana and wheat planted and harvest it in a couple of years and then have a big marijuana cake, enough for 200 to 300 people. People would eat a little of Larry.”
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Shame the tv series could not have been made a few years earlier.
Bring back Bond!
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

I was getting into the new Dallas but it was definitely the most fun whenever Hagman was onscreen as JR and will be a blander show without him. It is a shame they didn't do this show ten years ago rather than now.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Sir Patrick Moore, astronomer and broadcaster, dies aged 89

RIP Patrick Moore

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20657939
British astronomer and broadcaster Sir Patrick Moore has died, aged 89.

He "passed away peacefully at 12:25 this afternoon" at his home in Selsey, West Sussex, friends and colleagues said in a statement.

Sir Patrick presented the BBC programme The Sky At Night for over 50 years, making him the longest-running host of the same television show ever.

He wrote dozens of books on astronomy and his research was used by the US and the Russians in their space programmes.

Described by one of his close friends as "fearlessly eccentric", Sir Patrick was notable for his habit of wearing a monocle on screen and his idiosyncratic style.

Sir Patrick presented the first edition of The Sky at Night on 24 April 1957. He last appeared in an episode broadcast on Monday.

A statement by his friends and staff said: "After a short spell in hospital last week, it was determined that no further treatment would benefit him, and it was his wish to spend his last days in his own home, Farthings, where he today passed on, in the company of close friends and carers and his cat Ptolemy.

"Over the past few years, Patrick, an inspiration to generations of astronomers, fought his way back from many serious spells of illness and continued to work and write at a great rate, but this time his body was too weak to overcome the infection which set in, a few weeks ago.

"He was able to perform on his world record-holding TV programme The Sky at Night right up until the most recent episode .

"His executors and close friends plan to fulfil his wishes for a quiet ceremony of interment, but a farewell event is planned for what would have been Patrick's 90th birthday in March 2013."
'Father figure'

Patrick Alfred Caldwell-Moore was born at Pinner, Middlesex on 4 Mar 1923.

Heart problems meant he spent much of his childhood being educated at home and he became an avid reader. His mother gave him a copy of GF Chambers' book, The Story of the Solar System, and this sparked his lifelong passion for astronomy.

When war came he turned down a place at Cambridge and lied about his age to join the RAF, serving as a navigator with Bomber Command and rising to the rank of Flight Lieutenant.

But the war brought him a personal tragedy after his fiancee, Lorna, was killed when an ambulance she was driving was hit by a bomb. He never married.

Sir Patrick, who had a pacemaker fitted in 2006 and received a knighthood in 2001, won a Bafta for services to television and was a honorary fellow of the Royal Society.

He was a member of the UK Independence party and, briefly, the finance minister for the Monster Raving Loony Party, and attracted some controversy for his outspoken views on Europe and immigration.

Fellow scientists speak of how Sir Patrick inspired a generation

His other TV credits include the role of Gamesmaster in the 1990s computer games show of the same name.

BBC science correspondent Pallab Ghosh said Sir Patrick's appearance sometimes aroused as much comment as his astronomy: "He was six-foot-three, and was once described as having 'an air of donnish dishevelment', with his raised eyebrow, scarcely-brushed hair and poorly-fitting suits.

"His enthusiasm was unstoppable, and on occasions he would talk at 300 words a minute."

Queen guitarist Brian May, who published a book on astronomy written with Sir Patrick, described him as a "dear friend, and a kind of father figure to me".

He said: "Patrick will be mourned by the many to whom he was a caring uncle, and by all who loved the delightful wit and clarity of his writings, or enjoyed his fearlessly eccentric persona in public life.

"Patrick is irreplaceable. There will never be another Patrick Moore. But we were lucky enough to get one."

Television presenter and physicist Professor Brian Cox posted a message on Twitter saying: "Very sad news about Sir Patrick. Helped inspire my love of astronomy. I will miss him!"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

RIP Kenneth Kendall. Another familiar name from my childhood gone.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Kristatos wrote:RIP Kenneth Kendall. Another familiar name from my childhood gone.
I remember watching on that pro gramme on the BBC a few years ago where older celebrities such as Syvia Syms and Lioinel Blair stayed in a country house and were shown how to be more mobile in old age.
Bring back Bond!
Goldeneye
Site Admin

‘Stormin Norman’ Schwarzkopf is dead at 78

Post by Goldeneye »

http://tv.msnbc.com/2012/12/27/stormin- ... ead-at-78/
Retired Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf, the no-nonsense commander of U.S.-led coalition forces in the first Persian Gulf War, died Thursday at his home in Tampa, Florida, a senior defense official told NBC News. “Stormin’ Norman” was 78.

Schwarzkopf, a decorated Vietnam War vet, was famed for leading the forces that ejected Saddam Hussein’s forces from Kuwait after they invaded the neighboring country in 1990. During “Desert Storm” he gave almost-daily TV briefings and his desert camouflage and gruff charm–like a general from Central Casting–made him a star.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Farewell to a legend: RIP Gerry Anderson.
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

Kristatos wrote:Farewell to a legend: RIP Gerry Anderson.
How sad. Never knew he had Alzheimer’s :(
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I just got done watching Thunderbirds Are Go on Netflix as a tribute to his memory.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Gerry Anderson was wonderful.
Bring back Bond!
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

The gun control push I think is going to back fire. A lot of sympathy is trying to be manipulated into something most Americas are not comfortable with,, You don't have to own a gun and in our family me and my wife decided not to have handguns in the house/not own them. We own a .22 and shotgun but both are locked up with any ammo we have is locked up separately, we also taught our kids gun safety we try to be responsible but i understand there are many who are not, but the purpose of the second amendment is ultimately a guard against tyranny sadly all this recent gun talk only a former rapper got it.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
katied

Post by katied »

We've been having a epic cold snap here;they're very worried about crops freezing. In a nice warm house, it's not too bad, but for the homeless it must be... :cry:
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

We've got so of that weather too not unusal for us this time of year but for most states it is a shocker. Homeless will not have warm enough coats most places.
............ :007:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Burgers in Britain contain horsemeat. :shock:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ja ... permarkets

Horsemeat discovered in burgers sold by four British supermarkets

Frozen beefburgers on sale in Aldi, Iceland, Lidl and Tesco found to contain traces of horsemeat, says food safety watchdog

Four major supermarket chains operating in Britain – Aldi, Iceland, Lidl and Tesco – are withdrawing a number of beef products after horse DNA was found in burgers sold by them in the UK and Ireland.

The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI), which made the discovery, said the burgers were produced by two meat processing plants in Ireland, Liffey Meats and Silvercrest Foods, and by the Dalepak Hambleton plant in the UK.

In nine of the 10 burger samples from the four retailers, and from the Irish chain Dunnes Stores, horse DNA was found at very low levels. However, in one sample, Tesco Everyday Value Beef Burgers, the level of positive DNA indicated horsemeat accounted for 29% relative to the beef content. Many of them were also found to contain pig DNA.

The FSAI said the retailers have agreed to remove all implicated batches from sale.

Prof Alan Reilly, chief executive of the FSAI, said that while the findings posed no risk to health, they did raise concerns. "The products we have identified as containing horse DNA and/or pig DNA do not pose any food safety risk and consumers should not be worried," he added.

"Consumers who have purchased any of the implicated products can return them to their retailer.

"While there is a plausible explanation for the presence of pig DNA in these products, due to the fact that meat from different animals is processed in the same meat plants, there is no clear explanation at this time for the presence of horse DNA in products emanating from meat plants that do not use horsemeat in their production process."

He said it was not part of Irish culture to eat horsemeat: "We do not expect to find it in a burger; likewise, for some religious groups or people who abstain from eating pig meat, the presence of traces of pig DNA is unacceptable."

Tesco said in a statement that it had immediately withdrawn from sale all products from the supplier in question and was working with the authorities in Ireland and the UK, and with the suppliers concerned, to ensure that type of contamination did not happen again. "We will not take any products from this site until the conclusion and satisfactory resolution of an investigation," it said.

"The safety and quality of our food is of the highest importance to Tesco. We will not tolerate any compromise in the quality of the food we sell. The presence of illegal meat in our products is extremely serious."

Iceland said it had noted "with concern" the statement issued by the FSAI and had withdrawn from sale the two Iceland brand quarter-pounder burger lines implicated in the study, pending further investigation.

Aldi said it was conducting its own investigation while Lidl said it has taken the decision to remove all implicated products from sale pending an investigation.

Silvercrest Foods said it was pulling products from sale and replacing them with new lines.

The FSAI analysed 27 beef burger products with best-before dates from last June to March 2014, with 10 of the 27 products - 37% - testing positive for horse DNA and 85% testing positive for pig DNA.

A total of 31 beef meal products such as cottage pie, beef curry pie and lasagne were tested, with 21 found to be positive for pig DNA. All were negative for horsemeat.

Another 19 salami products were tested but showed no signs of horse DNA. The FSAI analysis also found traces of horse DNA in batches of raw ingredients, including some imported from the Netherlands and Spain.

The DNA tests found horse in the following products: Tesco Everyday Value Beef Burgers, 29.1%; Tesco Beef Quarter Pounders, 0.1%; Oakhurst Beef Burgers in Aldi, 0.3%; Moordale Quarter Pounders in Lidl, 0.1%; Flamehouse Chargrilled Quarter Pounders in Dunnes Stores, 0.1%; two varieties of Iceland Quarter Pounders, 0.1%.
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

I will try most anything once, but my line is firmly drawn at horse meat. And guinea pig. My niece went to Peru a few years ago and she didn't try it(at the time, my nephews and niece had 2 pet guinea pigs and she was understandably squeamish about it.)
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

OMG! I'd of thought the law would be more strict on this over there. We get story here about fish being mislabeled so vendors can charge more and DNA testing shows the Red Snapper wasn't what they said it was, but this dear god. It have me very upset if it happened here.
mcbride007
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights
Goldfinger
For Your Eyes Only

Post by mcbride007 »

I dread to think what goes into cheap meat sausages, burgers and pies.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

mcbride007 wrote:I dread to think what goes into cheap meat sausages, burgers and pies.
I never eat hot dogs for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007: