Breaking News Thread

News and other Non-Bond Discussions
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Re: Breaking News Thread

Post by FormerBondFan »

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... t_100.html
Gloria Stuart, 'Titanic' actress, dies at the age of 100 after Hollywood career revival

By David Hinckley
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Originally Published:Monday, September 27th 2010, 3:35 PM
Updated: Monday, September 27th 2010, 4:08 PM

Gloria Stuart, a blond movie bombshell of the 1930s who resurfaced a half century later as the sentimental heart of the blockbuster "Titanic," died Sunday at the age of 100.

In the 1997 James Cameron film, Stuart played the older incarnation of Kate Winslett's Rose Calvert - the character who turned the movie from a tragedy in which 1,490 people died into a bittersweet tale where a single locket showed love could endure.

"Titanic" didn't lead to a Betty White-style rebirth for Stuart's career, but it gave her a happy ending that she said she had not entirely expected.

She starred in dozens of films in the 1930s, working with top directors like John Ford and generally playing a beautiful blonde. She said at the time of "Titanic" that she spent most of those years angry and frustrated that she was not asked or allowed to play more.

She was best known for playing Claude Rains's sweetheart in "The Invisible Man," while film fans often cite "The Old Dark House" as one of her finest performances.

She left acting after World War II and turned to painting, where she adopted a primitive style reminiscent of Grandma Moses. She later developed a line of blank artists' books.

She returned to acting sporadically in later years, taking one spotlight role as Peter O'Toole's silent dance partner in "My Favorite Year."

She was nominated for an Oscar, a Golden Globe and a Screen Actors Guild award for her role in "Titanic." She remains the oldest actress nominated for an Academy Award.

She was also known in Hollywood as an early activist in the Screen Actors Guild, in part from her frustration at her own career.

She celebrated her 100th birthday July 4 at a lavish Hollywood party attended by, among others, "Titanic" director James Cameron.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Wow! Amazing
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
katied

Post by katied »

Tony Curtis died :cry: That got a lot of coverage here because he was in Some Like It Hot which was filmed at the Hotel Del-one of his favorite places as he came down to San Diego and stayed there quite frequently.
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

Stephen J. Cannell died yesterday. He made a lot of good shows.

From his website
With profound sadness, we have to announce that our dear friend and colleague, Stephen Cannell, has lost a brave fight against cancer. He passed away at his home last night. He will be missed beyond measure by the Cannell Team and all of us who had the privilege and the plain good luck to know and work with him. Through the legacy of his body of work, with which he was able to entertain and enrich the lives of millions of viewers and thousands of readers, he will always be with us, living on in our hearts and minds, with fond memories forever.
Prolific TV producer Stephen J. Cannell dies

(AP) – 43 minutes ago

NEW YORK — Stephen J. Cannell, the prolific writer-producer of dozens of TV series that included "The Rockford Files" and "The A-Team," has died at age 69.

Cannell passed away at his home in Pasadena, Calif., on Thursday night from complications associated with melanoma, his publicist said on Friday.

After three decades as an independent producer of TV shows, Cannell in recent years had focused his attention to writing books, and had published 16.

As an actor, he had a recurring role on ABC-TV's series, "Castle."
katied

Post by katied »

He was really young! :shock:
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

katied wrote:He was really young! :shock:
He was 69!
............ :007:
katied

Post by katied »

Depends on the person..My dad is 70 and you wouldn't know it!

70 is the new 50! :mrgreen:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Loved Stephen J. Cannell's work, and he was very funny in Diagnosis Murder where he satarised a maker of awful TV shows.

RIP too to Sir Norman Wisdom the British comedy legend who has died aged 95.

Bring back Bond!
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

RIP Roy Ward Barker, the director of Hammer Horror and numerous other cult movies and television shows.
katied

Post by katied »

They're close to rescuing the Chilean miners ...thank god! :cheers:
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

katied wrote:They're close to rescuing the Chilean miners ...thank god! :cheers:
Amen to that!
First of Chile's 33 trapped miners arrives at surface in escape capsule
katied

Post by katied »

Three of them are out now! :cheers:

I don't mind admitting that I cried like a baby when they reached the miners, loaded the first guy in the capsule and brought him to the surface!
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Simon Maccorkindale has died aged 58. I loved The Riddle of the Sands.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

The miner story was the best story of 2010! :cheers: The speed they got the miners out was amazing. Nobody thought it could be done, it was almost like Armageddon where they get the best driller from all over to world to help out saving these guys.

we have lost a few good actors at an young age. very sad. Cannell look so healthy and young when he was on Castle I was shocked to hear he died. Simon MacCorkindale was way too young I remember him from a few shows in the 80s
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

RIP to Simon Maccorkidale who would have been a great Bond.

Tom Bosley of Happy Days, Murder She Wrote and Father Dowling has died aged 83.

Bring back Bond!
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Barbara Billingsley died saturday. RIP
She will always be the Nanny on Muppet Babies to me more probably remember her as Mrs Cleaver.

Strange but true Eddie Haskell Grew up to be a cop.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Loved father Dowling mysteries, I just saw this weekend him on a Ellery Queen DVD and was thinking about him. RIP
katied

Post by katied »

Sad to hear about both Barbara Billingsley and Tom Bosley. :(
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me

Dr. No wrote:Loved father Dowling mysteries, I just saw this weekend him on a Ellery Queen DVD and was thinking about him. RIP
I watched some episodes of Ellery Queen on TV last year. Wonderful, with Jim Hutton and his hat and the complex mysteries.
katied

Post by katied »

Our family always watched Happy Days when I was growing up.One of the few shows(apart from a few others including The Waltons we all watched together. I loved Barbara Billingsley in Airplane! Leave It To Beaver had a resurgence of popularity when I was in middle school and there were a bunch of books about LITB that came out.