News and other Non-Bond Discussions
Goldeneye
Site Admin

R.I.P. Peter Falk

Post by Goldeneye »

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/col ... d=13922090
By SHEILA MARIKAR (@SheilaYM)
June 24, 2011

Actor Peter Falk, who was best known for his role in the TV series "Columbo" has died, according to a statement released by his family. He was 83.

"Falk died peacefully at his Beverly Hills home in the evening of June 23, 2011," according to the statement. Falk is survived by his wife, Shera, of 34 years and two daughters from a previous marriage.

The actor suffered from advanced dementia that set on after a series of dental operations in 2007. In 2009, his wife, Shera, and daughter, Catherine, engaged in a legal tug-of-war over who should be in charge of his personal affairs; a judge ruled that Shera would retain control.

Falk was best known for his role as iconic cop Lieutenant Columbo in the long-running TV series. He won four Emmy awards for his work on the show.

Falk also found success on the big screen. He was nominated for Oscars for his roles in 1960's "Murder, Inc." and 1961's "Pocketful of Miracles."
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Re: Breaking News Thread

Post by Dr. No »

Veyr sad news but in a way I am relieved I know he was suffering from dementia and I've seen it first hand it is not something I'd wish on anybody. HE was a great man who left us all with a lot of fond memories. RIP
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Farewell to the greatest TV detective of them all and a great actor.
Thunderpussy
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, Goldfinger, The spy who loved me,Tomorrow never dies.
Favorite Movies: Jaws, Die hard series,Independance day,The matrix trilogy

Post by Thunderpussy »

I was so sad to hear of Peter Falk's death, I grew up watching Columbo.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Happy 4th of July! :yay:

Hope everyone has a great time with their families today!
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Dr. No wrote:Happy 4th of July! :yay:

Hope everyone has a great time with their families today!
Why celebrate a dark day in US history? Bring back the Queen! :wink:
Bring back Bond!
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Tsunami Approaches New Zealand

Post by Goldeneye »

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... lenews_wsj
By REBECA HOWARD

WELLINGTON—New Zealand's Ministry of Civil Defense and Emergency Management issued a marine threat for the country's North Island after a magnitude 7.8 earthquake struck in the Kermadec Islands region in the southern Pacific Ocean early Thursday morning New Zealand time.

"Confirmation been received that a tsunami was generated," the Ministry of Civil Defense said. It said a marine threat for Northland, Bay of Plenty, East Coast and Hawkes Bay had been identified. All are located on New Zealand's North Island.

The ministry said the first wave would arrive in New Zealand round 8:52 a.m. local time. "The first wave may arrive later and may not be the largest. Waves will continue for several hours," it added.

It called on people to stay off beaches, stay out of the water and not go sightseeing.

Meanwhile, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center canceled a tsunami warning for the Kermadec Islands, Tonga and New Zealand. It said "sea-level readings indicate a tsunami was generated. It may have been destructive along coasts near the earthquake epicenter."
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Rupert Murdoch has closed down The News of The World, so Kristatos is looking for a new Sunday paper to read. :evil:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:Rupert Murdoch has closed down The News of The World, so Kristatos is looking for a new Sunday paper to read. :evil:
And then two weeks later, The Sun launches its Sunday edition. A spectacularly cynical move, even by the Dirty Digger's low standards.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Norway horror: 80 die in camp shooting, 7 in blast

Post by Dr. No »

I feel sick about this
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... d=14140953
A Norwegian who dressed as a police officer to gun down summer campers killed at least 80 people at an island retreat, horrified police said early Saturday. It took investigators several hours to begin to realize the full scope of Friday's massacre, which followed an explosion in nearby Oslo that killed seven and that police say was set off by the same suspect.

The mass shootings are among the worst in history. With the blast outside the prime minister's office, they formed the deadliest day of terror in Western Europe since the 2004 Madrid train bombings killed 191.

Police initially said about 10 were killed at the forested camp on the island of Utoya, but some survivors said they thought the toll was much higher. Police director Oystein Maeland told reporters early Saturday they had discovered many more victims.

"It's taken time to search the area. What we know now is that we can say that there are at least 80 killed at Utoya," Maeland said. "It goes without saying that this gives dimensions to this incident that are exceptional."

Maeland said the death toll could rise even more. He said others were severely wounded, but police didn't know how many were hurt.

The island is about 500 yards (meters) from one shore of Tyrifjorden lake, an oddly shaped body of water that is 15 miles (25 kilometers) at its longest and 8 miles (12 kilometers) at its widest.
null
AP
In this photo taken by Vergard M. Aas, a... View Full Caption

A suspect in the shootings and the Oslo explosion was arrested. Though police did not release his name, Norwegian national broadcaster NRK identified him as 32-year-old Anders Behring Breivik and said police searched his Oslo apartment overnight. NRK and other Norwegian media posted pictures of the blond, blue-eyed Norwegian.

National police chief Sveinung Sponheim told NRK that the suspected gunman's Internet postings "suggest that he has some political traits directed toward the right, and anti-Muslim views, but whether that was a motivation for the actual act remains to be seen."

A police official said the suspect appears to have acted alone in both attacks, and that "it seems like this is not linked to any international terrorist organizations at all." The official spoke on condition of anonymity because that information had not been officially released by Norway's police.

"It seems it's not Islamic-terror related," the official said. "This seems like a madman's work."

The official said the attack "is probably more Norway's Oklahoma City than it is Norway's World Trade Center." Domestic terrorists carried out the 1995 attack on a federal building in Oklahoma City, while foreign terrorists were responsible for the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

The official added, however, "it's still just hours since the incident happened. And the investigation is going on with all available resources."

The motive was unknown, but both attacks were in areas connected to the left-leaning Labor Party, which leads a coalition government. The youth camp, about 20 miles (35 kilometers) northwest of Oslo, is organized by the party's youth wing, and the prime minister had been scheduled to speak there Saturday.

A 15-year-old camper named Elise said she heard gunshots, but then saw a police officer and thought she was safe. Then he started shooting people right before her eyes.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Re: Norway horror: 80 die in camp shooting, 7 in blast

Post by The Sweeney »

Dr. No wrote:I feel sick about this
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... d=14140953
A Norwegian who dressed as a police officer to gun down summer campers killed at least 80 people at an island retreat, horrified police said early Saturday. It took investigators several hours to begin to realize the full scope of Friday's massacre, which followed an explosion in nearby Oslo that killed seven and that police say was set off by the same suspect.

The mass shootings are among the worst in history. With the blast outside the prime minister's office, they formed the deadliest day of terror in Western Europe since the 2004 Madrid train bombings killed 191.

Police initially said about 10 were killed at the forested camp on the island of Utoya, but some survivors said they thought the toll was much higher. Police director Oystein Maeland told reporters early Saturday they had discovered many more victims.

"It's taken time to search the area. What we know now is that we can say that there are at least 80 killed at Utoya," Maeland said. "It goes without saying that this gives dimensions to this incident that are exceptional."

Maeland said the death toll could rise even more. He said others were severely wounded, but police didn't know how many were hurt.

The island is about 500 yards (meters) from one shore of Tyrifjorden lake, an oddly shaped body of water that is 15 miles (25 kilometers) at its longest and 8 miles (12 kilometers) at its widest.
null
AP
In this photo taken by Vergard M. Aas, a... View Full Caption

A suspect in the shootings and the Oslo explosion was arrested. Though police did not release his name, Norwegian national broadcaster NRK identified him as 32-year-old Anders Behring Breivik and said police searched his Oslo apartment overnight. NRK and other Norwegian media posted pictures of the blond, blue-eyed Norwegian.

National police chief Sveinung Sponheim told NRK that the suspected gunman's Internet postings "suggest that he has some political traits directed toward the right, and anti-Muslim views, but whether that was a motivation for the actual act remains to be seen."

A police official said the suspect appears to have acted alone in both attacks, and that "it seems like this is not linked to any international terrorist organizations at all." The official spoke on condition of anonymity because that information had not been officially released by Norway's police.

"It seems it's not Islamic-terror related," the official said. "This seems like a madman's work."

The official said the attack "is probably more Norway's Oklahoma City than it is Norway's World Trade Center." Domestic terrorists carried out the 1995 attack on a federal building in Oklahoma City, while foreign terrorists were responsible for the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

The official added, however, "it's still just hours since the incident happened. And the investigation is going on with all available resources."

The motive was unknown, but both attacks were in areas connected to the left-leaning Labor Party, which leads a coalition government. The youth camp, about 20 miles (35 kilometers) northwest of Oslo, is organized by the party's youth wing, and the prime minister had been scheduled to speak there Saturday.

A 15-year-old camper named Elise said she heard gunshots, but then saw a police officer and thought she was safe. Then he started shooting people right before her eyes.
This really is absolutely shocking.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Gunning down children on a camping holiday is an act of pure evil.
Bring back Bond!
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

carl stromberg wrote:Gunning down children on a camping holiday is an act of pure evil.
The evil blonde killer that did this deserves a severe week long torture session behind closed doors, and then slowly beaten to death. That's all I have to say about this useless piece of sh!t!!!!
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Liberals want to know why he did this, not the fact he is a sick animal. Kill the mother f----r!
Thunderpussy
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, Goldfinger, The spy who loved me,Tomorrow never dies.

Post by Thunderpussy »

I remember an old Chris Rock joke about, People these days always want to know what MADE some one do something, they forget in the old days we just had CRAZY people.
I don't care why he did it, what his reasons are, they will after all be the reasosns of a Nut Job. He's a mad dog, Put him down.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Thunderpussy wrote:I remember an old Chris Rock joke about, People these days always want to know what MADE some one do something, they forget in the old days we just had CRAZY people.
I don't care why he did it, what his reasons are, they will after all be the reasosns of a Nut Job. He's a mad dog, Put him down.
Norway doesn't have the death penalty.
Thunderpussy
Agent

Post by Thunderpussy »

Norway is a very open liberal society, as far as I know the maximum sentence for his crime is 21 years, Although if I was the parent of one of the kids he murdered I'd want him to fry.
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me

Thunderpussy wrote:I remember an old Chris Rock joke about, People these days always want to know what MADE some one do something, they forget in the old days we just had CRAZY people.
Some people become involved in radical but mainstream political movements on the right and left and then just go insane.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Anyone rioting in London?
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote:Anyone rioting in London?
A lot of people, last time I looked.