Breaking News Thread

News and other Non-Bond Discussions
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Re: Breaking News Thread

Post by FormerBondFan »

Dr. No wrote:I can't stop watching news. It is incredible.
Same here.
katied

Post by katied »

Yeah..my thoughts are with everyone in japan right now.. a friend of ours has family over there.I think they're in Tokyo, though.From what I heard there's a lot of damage there.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

The whirlpool is astounding. I thought those happened further out to sea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709856
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Thunderpussy
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, Goldfinger, The spy who loved me,Tomorrow never dies.
Favorite Movies: Jaws, Die hard series,Independance day,The matrix trilogy

Post by Thunderpussy »

WOW, Thats an amazing piece of film.Blowfeld.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

This catastrophe is heart breaking

the scariest part is the touble with their nuke reactors. You can not beat nature we may learn to live around but nature can always overturn all
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Thunderpussy
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, Goldfinger, The spy who loved me,Tomorrow never dies.
Favorite Movies: Jaws, Die hard series,Independance day,The matrix trilogy

Post by Thunderpussy »

Some of the footage from Japan looks like something Roland Emmerich would have in one of his movies.Tragic but awe inspiring what the force of nature can do. :cry:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote:This catastrophe is heart breaking

the scariest part is the touble with their nuke reactors. You can not beat nature we may learn to live around but nature can always overturn all
I hope the nukes don't cause another massive catastrophe. And that the lesson of this causes a rethink in the current push towards building more nuke stations elsewhere.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Harvey Wallbanger
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Harvey Wallbanger »

How the Japan Earthquake Shortened Days on Earth
http://www.space.com/11115-japan-earthq ... -days.html

The 'Supermoon' Did Not Cause the Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami
http://www.space.com/11105-supermoon-di ... quake.html
Make them serious nudes!

I fear no evil because I walk with evil.
mcbride007
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights
Goldfinger
For Your Eyes Only

Post by mcbride007 »

I thought the nuclear power station was going to blow up when I first saw the news story. Thankfully it seems to be under control.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

How many reactors are in Japan? It seems like they all are failing at once.
Failed cooling on 6 reactors scary stuff. More frighting than any Bond Villains scheme.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
katied

Post by katied »

Apparently the world is supposed to end Saturday. I don't buy into it,though. :happy spin:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Did it end?
Bring back Bond!
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

We predicted the Bond franchise would end when Cr-egg was named in 2005. We WERE correct! :cheers:
katied

Post by katied »

LOL @ Carl and BJ.. no, it didn't end. Apparently the guy who predicted it is now claiming the end is on October 21st. We'll see. :idea:
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

James Arness, 1923-2011

Post by Blowfeld »

June 3, 2011 | 3:57 pm

ArnessIn his size -- he was 6-foot-7 -- and his centeredness, James Arness suggested John Wayne, to whose production company he was under contract before he became the star of “Gunsmoke.” For 20 years, from 1955 to 1975, Arness, who died Friday at the age of 88, played Marshal Matt Dillon in what, along with “Law & Order,” is the longest-lived drama on American television. There was also in Arness something of the other tall men of the range, actors like James Stewart and Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea; and if he lacked their foregrounded complexity, their implicit darkness and latent violence -- there was a lot of “noir” in the postwar Western -- these were not things his role demanded, or which, indeed, could have reasonably sustained a character over two decades. Matt Dillon was not battling inner demons, making amends for past wrongs, or out to revenge wrongs done to him; indeed, he was for all intents and purposes a man without a past.

Like his sound-alike brother Peter Graves, the Mr. Phelps of “Mission: Impossible,” Arness projected an air of inborn authority. Matt Dillon was not so much the subject of “Gunsmoke” as the solid rock against which lesser mortals -- flawed, broken, bad, searching -- swirled and crashed or clung, a bulwark of reassurance and capability and rectitude, a law not unto himself, but, as it were, a self unto the law. Although “Gunsmoke” was conceived as a thoughtful, adult drama, Arness' Dillon was also close kin to child-friendly cowboys such as Roy Rogers and Gene Autry, good-humored heroes whose unassailable purity of heart was taken as read. (Oddly, or perhaps not, the TV lawman Arness most recalls to me is Andy Griffith's Sheriff Taylor.)

Arness played other parts in his career, including two post-"Gunsmoke" TV series, the short-lived detective series “McClain's Law” in the early '80s and the less short-lived “How the West Was Won” in the late '70s. (That he was, unrecognizably, the monster in the 1951 “The Thing from Another World” is widely known movie trivium.) But to rate him as an actor is almost beside the point, so completely and inextricably does he belong to a single character. He was in his early 30s when he took on the role -- which had been originated on radio by William Conrad, who was the wrong shape to play it on TV -- and in his 50s when the series was canceled. But he was in his 70s when he last played Matt Dillon, in the 1994 “Gunsmoke” TV movie “One Man's Justice.” There were several of these films, which play off the “gunfighters at twilight” theme that Clint Eastwood was already exploring; the mileage suits and does not diminish him, and one gets a hint of the messier character that may have always lived within the well-kempt man of the series.

Still, while it may be that Arness was born to play Dillon, you do not keep a character alive and interesting across five decades without some application of real art; it takes substance to keep goodness from becoming blandness, from growing tiresome with time. Could any other actor have carried that weight as long, with as much grace and as little groaning? Maybe. But this one did.
James Arness, actor best remembered on 'Gunsmoke,' dies at age 88
Bond77

Re: James Arness, 1923-2011

Post by Bond77 »

Blowfeld wrote:
June 3, 2011 | 3:57 pm

ArnessIn his size -- he was 6-foot-7 -- and his centeredness, James Arness suggested John Wayne, to whose production company he was under contract before he became the star of “Gunsmoke.” For 20 years, from 1955 to 1975, Arness, who died Friday at the age of 88, played Marshal Matt Dillon in what, along with “Law & Order,” is the longest-lived drama on American television. There was also in Arness something of the other tall men of the range, actors like James Stewart and Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea; and if he lacked their foregrounded complexity, their implicit darkness and latent violence -- there was a lot of “noir” in the postwar Western -- these were not things his role demanded, or which, indeed, could have reasonably sustained a character over two decades. Matt Dillon was not battling inner demons, making amends for past wrongs, or out to revenge wrongs done to him; indeed, he was for all intents and purposes a man without a past.

Like his sound-alike brother Peter Graves, the Mr. Phelps of “Mission: Impossible,” Arness projected an air of inborn authority. Matt Dillon was not so much the subject of “Gunsmoke” as the solid rock against which lesser mortals -- flawed, broken, bad, searching -- swirled and crashed or clung, a bulwark of reassurance and capability and rectitude, a law not unto himself, but, as it were, a self unto the law. Although “Gunsmoke” was conceived as a thoughtful, adult drama, Arness' Dillon was also close kin to child-friendly cowboys such as Roy Rogers and Gene Autry, good-humored heroes whose unassailable purity of heart was taken as read. (Oddly, or perhaps not, the TV lawman Arness most recalls to me is Andy Griffith's Sheriff Taylor.)

Arness played other parts in his career, including two post-"Gunsmoke" TV series, the short-lived detective series “McClain's Law” in the early '80s and the less short-lived “How the West Was Won” in the late '70s. (That he was, unrecognizably, the monster in the 1951 “The Thing from Another World” is widely known movie trivium.) But to rate him as an actor is almost beside the point, so completely and inextricably does he belong to a single character. He was in his early 30s when he took on the role -- which had been originated on radio by William Conrad, who was the wrong shape to play it on TV -- and in his 50s when the series was canceled. But he was in his 70s when he last played Matt Dillon, in the 1994 “Gunsmoke” TV movie “One Man's Justice.” There were several of these films, which play off the “gunfighters at twilight” theme that Clint Eastwood was already exploring; the mileage suits and does not diminish him, and one gets a hint of the messier character that may have always lived within the well-kempt man of the series.

Still, while it may be that Arness was born to play Dillon, you do not keep a character alive and interesting across five decades without some application of real art; it takes substance to keep goodness from becoming blandness, from growing tiresome with time. Could any other actor have carried that weight as long, with as much grace and as little groaning? Maybe. But this one did.
James Arness, actor best remembered on 'Gunsmoke,' dies at age 88
RIP Marshall Dillon
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

A weird story to be sure
77 cadets sent to hospital after lightning strike

9 Comments Have Your Say
Email StorySend to a Friend
Share ThisTell Your Friends
Tweet ThisTweet This
MoreShare It

Del.icio.us
Facebook
Stumbleupon

Newsvine
Yahoo bookmarks
Mixx

Digg
Reddit
Google Bookmarks

Twitter
LinkedIn

(YouTube.com)
(CBS News)

Seventy-seven Air Force cadets are being sent to a local hospital after a lightning strike at the Camp Shelby Joint Forces Training Center near Hattiesburg, Miss. While there did not appear to be serious injuries, two of the cadets were taken by amdulance to the hospital, while the other 75 rode in busses.

The Army said in a press release that the soldiers were being taken in for "medical evaluation" following the strike around 2 p.m. Four personnel were in close vicinity to the strike but were still "responsive and in stable condition," the release said.

Forrest County emergency operations director Terry Steed told a National Weather Service forecaster that nobody was directly hit when lightning hit a power pole near tents. All were taken to hospitals as a precaution, said Mike Edmonston, a senior meteorologist in Jackson.

The cadets went to Forrest General Hospital, CBS affiliate WLBT reports.

Air Force Reserve cadets from around the country were at the Joint Forces Training Center for two weeks of work, said Army National Guard Maj. Deidre Musgrave.

Camp Shelby near Hattiesburg is the nation's largest state-owned military training center. Its 136,000 acres cut out of southern Mississippi's rolling hills and pine forests includes mock cities designed to look like Iraq and Afghanistan to give soldiers realistic training.

Soldiers and airmen from around the country train there each year and tens of thousands of National Guard troops from across the country have prepared there for missions in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/ ... z1OolwHTnP
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

It's now Sir Bruce Forsyth! :cheers: His toupee received an MBE.
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

Bryan Ferry and Colin Firth are also "sir's" now! :cheers:

(Friend of Craig Sam Taylor Wood got an award.. I'm sure a lot of people who follow suck things were like "Who?" :mrgreen:
Goldeneye
Site Admin

tributes to Jackass star Ryan Dunn

Post by Goldeneye »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... -star.html
MailOnline - news, sport, celebrity, science and health stories
'I lost my brother': Johnny Knoxville leads tributes to Jackass star Ryan Dunn

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 8:16 PM on 20th June 2011

A distraught Johnny Knoxville today paid tribute to his friend and Jackass co-star Ryan Dunn.

The 34-year-old daredevil died early this morning of injuries sustained in a fiery car crash in West Goshen, Pennsylvania.

Knoxville took to Twitter to express his sadness over the loss.

He wrote: 'Today I lost my brother Ryan Dunn. My heart goes out to his family and his beloved Angie.'
Loss: Johnny Knoxville with his Jackass co-star Ryan Dunn in 2006

Loss: Johnny Knoxville with his Jackass co-star Ryan Dunn in 2006

Johnny ended the post by saying: 'RIP Ryan, I love you buddy.'

He later added: 'Please drive safe and wear your seat belt. Ryan Dunn will be missed. God bless.'

Steve O was too distraught to speak when approached by Radar Online for comment.

Another Jackass cast member, Jason 'Wee Man' Acuna, tweeted: 'I MISS YOU BUD!! You were always a happy kick-ass dude!!'

Dunn's name began trending on Twitter soon after the news of the crash broke, with fans and celebrities quickly expressing their condolences online.
Tribute: Knoxville posted this picture and message his his Twitter page today

Tribute: Knoxville posted this picture and message his his Twitter page today

His friend and Good Charlotte guitarist Benji Madden tweeted: 'I'm very Sad and Shocked to hear about Ryan Dunn,'. 'My thoughts&Prayers are with his Family.'

Reality TV star Brody Jenner wrote:'Just heard about Ryan Dunn… So sad.. #RIPRYANDUNN.'

The mother of Jackass star Bam Margera's was the first to confirm the death by calling into a local radio show.
Wreckage: The charred remains of the Porsche 911 GT3 is towed away as police survey the scene in Pennsylvania

Wreckage: The charred remains of the Porsche 911 GT3 is towed away as police survey the scene in Pennsylvania

A tearful April said: 'We just found out a few hours ago - it is the worst possible news.

'I have not been able to talk with Bam as he is in Arizona but I cannot believe that his friend is dead – I felt like I lost one of my own sons when I heard that Ryan Dunn had died.

'Ryan was a wonderful person he really was the sweetest and nicest guy - he was like my extra son, everybody loved him.

'He had a longterm girlfriend and she will be absolutely devastated - she has turned off her phone just now.

'It’s just so sad we cannot believe Ryan has gone - I’m too upset to say anything else just now.'
Last picture: Just hours before his death, Ryan (left) tweeted this photograph from a night out with friends

Last picture: Just hours before his death, Ryan (left) tweeted this photograph from a night out with friends

Police say speed may have been a factor in the crash.

Hours before the accident, Dunn posted a picture that showed him holding what appeared to be an alcoholic drink while on a night out with friends.

Dunn and a passenger in his 2007 Porsche died after the car left the roadway and burst into flames, West Goshen Township police said. The crash occurred near the Philadelphia suburb of West Chester.

The 34-year-old Dunn appeared on MTV shows Jackass and Viva La Bam and the three Jackass big-screen adaptations. He also was the star of his own MTV show, Homewrecker, and hosted Proving Ground on the G4 cable network.

According to a biography posted on his website, Dunn was born in Ohio and moved at age 15 to Pennsylvania, where he met Bam Margera on his first day of high school.

Dunn, Margera, Christopher Raab (known as Raab Himself) and Brandon DiCamillo, under the moniker CKY for "Camp Kill Yourself," started making videos that featured them skateboarding and performing stunts.

Dunn was working as a welder and at a gas station when Johnny Knoxville, a friend of Margera's through the skateboarding circuit, asked the crew to allow their videos to be part of the series Jackass, which became a hit on MTV and ran from 2000 to 2002.

The passenger who died in the crash had not yet been identified, police said.