Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Re: Breaking News Thread

Post by carl stromberg »

007 wrote:Anyone see Adam Boulton nearly come to blows with Alistair Campbell on Sky News the other day? That was classic television.
I did see that. Adam Boulton had some bitter arguments with lots of the Labour people such as Balls and Bradshaw during the election!

I still can't believe that there is a coalition. Vince Cable looks in shock. It will seem weird when parliament resumes with the Lib Dems sitting with the Conservatives and half the Lib Dems being ministers.
Bring back Bond!
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

kind of cool that the queen called Brown and told him its over and it happened! That day!
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Dr. No wrote:kind of cool that the queen called Brown and told him its over and it happened! That day!
The new PM normally takes office the day after the election. It was rather strange this time as it took four days to decide on a government.

In the US a new President takes office about 6 months after winning the election!
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

TV icon Art Linkletter dead at 97
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Goldeneye wrote:TV icon Art Linkletter dead at 97
:shock: My god had had a long full life
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:
Dr. No wrote:kind of cool that the queen called Brown and told him its over and it happened! That day!
The new PM normally takes office the day after the election. It was rather strange this time as it took four days to decide on a government.

In the US a new President takes office about 6 months after winning the election!
Its almost 3 months but I was shock at how fast the old PM was swept out.

SPeaking of politics I am disgusted by the Obama administration, I just don't get him. He'll go after Arizona or BP but N Kora and Iran he will not say a word. Taking so long to respond to teh BP mess is criminal in itself, then he goes on today and say if you an the BP mess he say we should let him know and he'll get on BP. WTF??!!!?? Yeah, BP kept you from responding for 6 weeks :roll: You'll put a boot on someones throat but Iran and some sick relgious nut who shoots up and army base or masterminded the 9-11 attacks must be given do consideration and treated like visiting dignitary, this from the screw up who gives our actual allies are hard time, ipod for the Queen?! unwatchable DVDs for the now dismissed PM,

I beter stop before i get going on Gibbs, I'd rather the guy from old white guy from the I'm a Mac and I'm a pc Ad be the press secretary, and that is saying alot after long run of puggy dough boys and snakes of the Clinton and Bush administrations. GOd I miss Bill, and even ol George :(
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Dr. No wrote:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:

Its almost 3 months but I was shock at how fast the old PM was swept out.

SPeaking of politics I am disgusted by the Obama administration, I just don't get him. He'll go after Arizona or BP but N Kora and Iran he will not say a word. Taking so long to respond to teh BP mess is criminal in itself, then he goes on today and say if you an the BP mess he say we should let him know and he'll get on BP. WTF??!!!?? Yeah, BP kept you from responding for 6 weeks :roll: You'll put a boot on someones throat but Iran and some sick relgious nut who shoots up and army base or masterminded the 9-11 attacks must be given do consideration and treated like visiting dignitary, this from the screw up who gives our actual allies are hard time, ipod for the Queen?! unwatchable DVDs for the now dismissed PM,

I beter stop before i get going on Gibbs, I'd rather the guy from old white guy from the I'm a Mac and I'm a pc Ad be the press secretary, and that is saying alot after long run of puggy dough boys and snakes of the Clinton and Bush administrations. GOd I miss Bill, and even ol George :(
I did not know who Art Linkletter was, but saw an item on the ABC news and he was a intersting chap.

I think Obama is suspicious of Britain as they were nasty to his relatives in Kenya in the past.

Do you miss Ronnie too? :lol:
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote: Do you miss Ronnie too? :lol:
Yep. At this point I'd take him and Kennedy back to back. SInce Clinton we've had the worst run of Jimmy Carter wannabes :(
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote:[
SPeaking of politics I am disgusted by the Obama administration, I just don't get him. He'll go after Arizona or BP but N Kora and Iran he will not say a word. Taking so long to respond to teh BP mess is criminal in itself, then he goes on today and say if you an the BP mess he say we should let him know and he'll get on BP. WTF??!!!?? Yeah, BP kept you from responding for 6 weeks :roll:
Better get used to it. The Supreme Court says that corporations have all the rights of citizens, with few of the responsibilities. If you or I had caused a massive oil spill in the Gulf, we'd be in prison by now.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Gary Coleman, 'Diff'rent Strokes' star, dead at 42

Post by Goldeneye »

Gary Coleman, 'Diff'rent Strokes' star, dead at 42
Gary Coleman: 1968-2010
The one-time child star dies at the age of 42.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... id=entnews
By Matt Schudel
Friday, May 28, 2010; 3:04 PM

Gary Coleman, 42 , the diminutive, wisecracking child star of the sitcom "Diff'rent Strokes," whose adult life collapsed into a tabloid calamity, died Friday at a Utah hospital from a brain hemorrhage.

His brother-in-law told the celebrity gossip site TMZ.com that Mr. Coleman had fallen and injured his head at the actor's home in Santaquin, Utah.

Mr. Coleman was 10 when he stepped into the national spotlight in 1978, playing the witty, lovable Arnold Jackson on NBC's "Diff'rent Strokes." The role was written for him and made Mr. Coleman the best-known child star on television for the eight years the hit comedy was on the air.

He played one of two orphaned African American brothers adopted by a white Manhattan millionaire after their mother -- the rich man's maid -- had died. The show became a comedic showcase for Mr. Coleman, who looked younger than his actual age because his growth had been stunted by a congenital kidney condition.

On the set, he proved to be a thorough professional who could memorize his dialogue in a single reading and deliver it with perfect timing. His signature line, directed toward his brother Willis, played by Todd Bridges, became a nationwide catch phrase: "What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?"

"The true star of the show is 10-year old Gary Coleman as 8-year-old Arnold," The Washington Post's Tom Shales wrote when the show premiered, calling Mr. Coleman "a most unusual tot with a strikingly professional comic delivery."

Newsweek pronounced him "NBC's Littlest Big Man" and "possibly the most original vid-kid since Howdy Doody."

First lady Nancy Reagan appeared on "Diff'rent Strokes" in 1983 to make an anti-drug pitch, and Mr. Coleman had his own Saturday morning cartoon show. As a guest on "The Tonight Show," Mr. Coleman managed to upstage Johnny Carson, who jokingly asked if he wanted to take over the rest of the show.

"With all the laughing and cheering out there," he replied, "quite possibly."

As Mr. Coleman's salary rose from $1,500 to $70,000 an episode, his fragile health continued to deteriorate. He had undergone two kidney transplants by the time he was 14, and he received daily dialysis while taping "Diff'rent Strokes."

When the show was canceled in 1986, he was 18, and both of his kidneys had failed. He had amassed a personal fortune estimated at $18 million, but his life quickly devolved into a sorry spectacle of lawsuits, countersuits, recriminations and hurt feelings.

He sued his parents and advisers for stealing money from trust funds meant to support him as he grew older. In court, his parents charged that Mr. Coleman had been brainwashed by a manager and was not competent to take care of his affairs. In the end, Mr. Coleman won a $1.28 settlement, but his relationship with his parents was all but fractured.

At 4-feet-8 and now an adult, Mr. Coleman was becoming increasingly embittered and unemployable. He found occasional work in film and TV, but mostly he watched his money slip through his hands. At one point, his father said, Mr. Coleman tried to run him over with a car.

"Gary Coleman's rage," as a Los Angeles Times article bluntly put it, "is the direct result of being pampered, badgered and obliged to keep on being a cute freak for hire."

By the late 1990s, his life was crashing in a sad, gossip-fueled tailspin. One of his fellow child stars on "Diff'rent Strokes," Dana Plato, died of a drug overdose. Bridges was arrested for drug violations and for shooting a man.

Mr. Coleman had sold off many of his possessions and was working as a security guard at a Los Angeles mall in 1999 when a woman recognized him and asked for an autograph. They got into an argument, exchanged blows and ended up in court, where a tearful Mr. Coleman pleaded no contest to battery.

Describing his encounter with the 200-pound woman, he reportedly said, "I'm 4-foot, 8-inches, 86 pounds of nothing."

Gary Wayne Coleman was born Feb. 8, 1968, in Zion, Ill., and was adopted as an infant. His kidney disease was diagnosed early on, and he had his first transplant at 5.

He began modeling for a local store at 7 and began to appear in TV commercials. A talent scout recommended him to producer Norman Lear, who cast him in episodes of "Good Times" and "The Jeffersons." Recognizing Mr. Coleman's appeal, Lear and his production team designed "Diff'rent Strokes" around him.

In later years, Mr. Coleman felt trapped by his early fame and yearned to find a dramatic role to play as an adult. He appeared on a celebrity dating show, worked as a corporate pitchman and wrote an online advice column. In 2003, while making a half-serious run for California governor, he admitted that he was still a virgin. He became such a source of tabloid fodder that he was parodied in the Tony Award-winning musical "Avenue Q."

In August 2007, he secretly married 22-year-old Shannon Price and settled in Utah. Nine months later, they appeared on the TV show "Divorce Court" apparently trying to work out a public reconciliation. Mr. Coleman and his wife were arrested several times for disorderly conduct after arguments and, in January 2010, he was jailed overnight for domestic violence.

Besides his wife, survivors include his parents, W.G. Coleman and Edmonia Sue Coleman of Zion.

"Family never meant anything to me," Mr. Coleman said in 2003, "but a whole lot of trouble that I don't need."
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

RIP Gary Coleman! So young.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

sad news. I think he had a sad life as well. RIP
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

Actor Dennis Hopper dies at age 74 after suffering from stomach cancer
katied

Post by katied »

Dennis Hopper, too. :cry:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Dropping like flies.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

FormerBondFan wrote:Dropping like flies.
I was about to say that. d**n. Wasn't Hopper fighting with his wife after she objected to his cutting her out of his will or something?
katied

Post by katied »

Dr. No wrote:
I was about to say that. d**n. Wasn't Hopper fighting with his wife after she objected to his cutting her out of his will or something?
Yup.And he got a Star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame not too long ago.He was in some great movies. :cry:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote: Yup.And he got a Star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame not too long ago.He was in some great movies. :cry:
He was also in Super Mario Brothers, but we all make mistakes.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Indeed, now I read that the lead singer of The Temptations has died.
DETROIT – Ali-Ollie Woodson, who led the legendary Motown quintet The Temptations in the 1980s and '90s and helped restore them to their hit-making glory with songs including "Treat Her Like A Lady," has died, a friend said. He was 58.

Woodson died Sunday in southern California after battling cancer, Motown Alumni Association President Billy Wilson said. Wilson said Woodson's wife, Juanita, told him about the death Sunday.

Woodson was not an original member of the group, which had several lineup changes since it started in the 1960s. But he played an integral part in keeping the Temptations from becoming just nostalgia act.

By the early 1980s, the Temptations were no longer posting hit after hit like they did in the 1960s and '70s with classics such as "Papa Was a Rolling Stone," "My Girl," and "I Wish It Would Rain."

The group had lost original members, and Woodson was charged with replacing Dennis Edwards, whose passionate voice defined the group during the 1970s.
More
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

Al and Tipper Gore announce separation after 40 years of marriage
After forty years of marriage, Al and Tipper Gore are separating, the couple announced in an e-mail to friends Tuesday morning.

"This is very much a mutual and mutually supportive decision that we have made together following a process of long and careful consideration," the former vice president and his wife said in the email first reported by Politico. "We ask for respect for our privacy and that of our family, and we do not intend to comment further." Gore's spokeswoman later confirmed the validity of the e-mail.

The news stunned many political watchers -- the duo's mutually affectionate manner on the campaign trail did much to enliven Al Gore's stuffy image -- but also good friends.

"I'm shocked -- beyond shocked," said Chris Downey, a close friend for many years who said she spoke to Tipper last week. "This is the least likely course of events I could imagine."

The famous kiss, at the 2000 Democratic National Convention in Los Angeles. (Tim Aubry/Reuters)

Since Al Gore's bitter loss of the 2000 presidential race, the couple has made their home in his home state of Tennessee. Al, now 62, has spent the past few years travelling extensively as an environmental advocate. He won the Nobel Peace Prize for his work in 2007, and a documentary about his warnings on global warning won an Academy Award the same year. Tipper, 61, became famous in the 1980s for her protests of vulgar and sexually-explicit language in pop music. In later years, though, she turned her advocacy focus to mental health issues. A lifelong photographer who often showed up at official events with a camera in her hand, she more recently began selling her work, with proceeds going to her husband's Climate Project.

The Los Angeles Times reported last month that the couple bought an $8.8 million home in Montecito, Calif., this spring.

They met in high school -- she attended the Alexandria school that is now St. Stephen's and St. Agnes, while he went to St. Alban's -- and wed in May 1970 at Washington National Cathedral. They have four grown children -- Karenna, Kristin, Sarah and Albert -- and three grandchildren.