Breaking News Thread

News and other Non-Bond Discussions
katied

Re: Breaking News Thread

Post by katied »

Christian Bale is amazing for doing that-hard to believe he was able to do so without the press finding out!
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

600 million in the dark in India a few million lose power here and we can't stop talking about sometime it's embarrassing.
............ :007:
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

Another unspeakable tragedy.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/06/us/wiscon ... ?hpt=hp_t1
The man who shot six people to death and wounded three others during a rampage at a Sikh temple in a Milwaukee suburb was an Army veteran who may have been a white supremacist, according to a law enforcement source involved in the investigation.

Law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation named him Monday as Wade Michael Page, 40. One law enforcement official said he owned the gun used in the shooting legally.

He had apparently served on active duty, a U.S. official familiar with his record said. The source declined to give further details.

The officials asked not to be named because they are not authorized to speak on the record about the shooting investigation.

Relatives of Satwant Kaleka, the president of the temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, said Monday that he was killed fighting the attacker.

"From what we understand, he basically fought to the very end and suffered gunshot wounds while trying to take down the gunman," said Kanwardeep Singh Kaleka, his nephew.

"He was a protector of his own people, just an incredible individual who showed his love and passion for our people, our faith, to the end," he said, near tears.

"He was definitely one of the most dedicated individuals I have ever seen, one of the happiest people in the world."

Earlier, the FBI said that it had not determined a motive for the Sunday morning shooting and that investigators were looking into whether the attack might be classified as domestic terrorism.

Kaleka, a member of the temple, said those inside the gurdwara, or Sikh house of worship, described the attacker as a bald white man, dressed in a white T-shirt and black pants and with a 9/11 tattoo on one arm -- which "implies to me that there's some level of hate crime there."

Tom Ahern, a spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said the gunman had a military background but would not elaborate. He also would not elaborate on the man's tattoos.

Because of their customary beards and turbans, Sikh men are often confused with Muslims, and they have been the targets of hate crimes since the September 11, 2001, attacks on New York and Washington.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Great Britain is opening can of whup ass in the Olympics and winning all the golds. :wink:
Bring back Bond!
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

RIP legendary darts commentator Sid Waddell.
Bring back Bond!
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges

Post by Blowfeld »

The cheater loses,

finally..
US cycling star Lance Armstrong has announced he will no longer fight drug charges from the US anti-doping agency, ahead of a Friday deadline.

In a statement, the 40-year-old maintains he is innocent, but says he is weary of the "nonsense" accusations.

The US anti-doping agency (USADA) now says it will ban Armstrong from cycling for life and strip him of his seven Tour de France titles.

Armstrong retired from professional sport in 2011.

USADA alleges he used banned substances as far back as 1996, including the blood-booster EPO, steroid and blood transfusions.

Armstrong sued in federal court to block the charges but lost.
'Heartbreaking' case

"There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, 'Enough is enough.' For me, that time is now," Armstrong said in the statement.

"I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999.

"Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a two-year federal criminal investigation followed by Travis Tygart's [USADA's chief executive] unconstitutional witch hunt.

"The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today - finished with this nonsense."
Continue reading the main story
Lance Armstrong factfile

Born: Plano, Texas
Teams: Motorola, Cofidis, US Postal, Discovery Channel, Livestrong, Astana, Team RadioShack
Tour de France: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 (22 individual stage wins)
World Championships road race: 1993

Armstrong had been given until 06:00 GMT on Friday to decide whether to continue fighting the USADA charges.

The agency has said that 10 of Armstrong's former teammates are prepared to testify against him.

The cyclist has accused USADA of offering "corrupt inducements" to other riders.

USADA also accuses Armstrong of being a "ring-leader" of systematic doping on his Tour de France winning teams.

Mr Tygart said shortly after Armstrong's statement that his agency would ban Armstrong from cycling for life and strip him of his titles, according to AP.

The chief executive described the case as a "heartbreaking" example of a win-at-all costs approach to sports.

However, Armstrong disputed that the USADA has the power to take away his titles.

"USADA lacks jurisdiction even to bring these charges," his statement said.

The cycling governing body the International Cycling Union (UCI) - which had backed Armstrong's challenge to challenge USADA's authority - has so far made no public comments on the latest developments.

Armstrong, who survived testicular cancer prior to his record-breaking Tour wins, retired after the 2005 Tour de France but made a comeback in 2009.

He retired for a second time in February 2011.

He now says he will be focusing on the work with his cancer charity.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Max Bygraves was a legend. RIP.

Andy Murray won the US Open becoming the first British man to win a tennis major in about 70 years!
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Herbert Lom has died. A legend.

Bring back Bond!
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

James Bond died in 2002 :roll:
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Oh man we are losing some legends.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Is there a word for that slight feeling of guilt you get when you hear someone has died and are a little bit surprised because you'd just assumed that they'd died years ago?
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Kristatos wrote:Is there a word for that slight feeling of guilt you get when you hear someone has died and are a little bit surprised because you'd just assumed that they'd died years ago?
I must admit I thought Andy Williams was already dead. :oops: Some famous people live to be very old and retire from public life with various illnesses and it is a surprise when their death is announced.
Bring back Bond!
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Arlen Specter Dies

Post by Goldeneye »

Former U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter, the outspoken Pennsylvania centrist whose switch from Republican to Democrat ended a 30-year career in which he played a pivotal role in several Supreme Court nominations, died Sunday. He was 82
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

http://news.yahoo.com/brazilian-man-app ... 03122.html
Brazilian man appears very much alive at his own funeral
A 41-year-old car washer shocked his family when he interrupted a funeral being held for him at his mother's home in the town of Alagoinhas in northeastern Brazil, police said Tuesday.

Police inspector Roberto Lima said by telephone that on Sunday Jose Marcos Araujo identified a body at the city morgue as being that of his brother, Gilberto.

Lima said that Jose Marcos took the body to his mother's home where a wake was held.

"The confusion started when news started circulating that a car washer had been shot dead," Jose Marcos' wife, Ana Paula, told the UOL Internet news portal. "Police called my husband and told him that his brother had been killed and his body was at the morgue."

A few hours before the Monday burial "a friend of Gilberto's saw him walking down the street and told him that his family was mourning him," he said.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

RIP Bill Tarmey aka Jack Duckworth from Coronation Street.
Bring back Bond!
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

Rip Larry Hagman

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/arts/ ... html?_r=0/
Larry Hagman, whose portrayal of one of television’s most beloved villains, J.R. Ewing, led the CBS series “Dallas” to enormous world popularity, died Friday in Dallas, where Mr. Hagman had been filming the sequel to his famous show. He was 81.

Larry Hagman portrayed the Texas oilman J.R. Ewing starting in 1978.
Larry Hagman Dies at 81

Mr. Hagman's breakthrough came as Major Anthony Nelson, opposite Barbara Eden in “I Dream of Jeannie.”

The death occurred at a hospital at 4:20 p.m., and was caused by complications arising from cancer, his family said in a statement.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Terrible news. They shot 5 episodes of the second new season of Dallas so ratings will be HUGE in January as the Ledger factor proved in TDN. Can Dallas survive without Larry? I met him at a Chiller Theatre convention years back. A very friendly nice guy. His smoking and excessive drinking his younger years did him in now. Sad, very sad.