OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

RIP JD Salinger

Post by James »

The famous recluse and author of The Catcher in the Rye has passed away. Apparently he continued to write for decades without publishing anything after withdrawing from public life, placing his manuscripts in a vault. I wonder if the estate will let anything see the light of day.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
katied

Re: RIP JD Salinger

Post by katied »

I'd love to read the unpublished stuff...if The Catcher In The Rye is anything to go by... :up:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

RIP. It will be interesting to see if anything else is released. Who would own the rights? His children?
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

carl stromberg wrote:RIP. It will be interesting to see if anything else is released. Who would own the rights? His children?
I think his kids own the rights(though I'm not 100% sure of that).

In our local paper they were talking to local high school teachers about Salinger's death( Catcher is mandatory reading in 10th grade), and one of them found out that Salinger had died from her students, who were very sad. Apparently, Holden Caulfield strikes a chord with a *lot* of kids.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:I'd love to read the unpublished stuff...if The Catcher In The Rye is anything to go by... :up:
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/ne ... brings_j_d
The Onion wrote:Besides setting the literary community abuzz, Salinger's decision to come out of seclusion has allowed scholars access to his massive archive of unpublished work for the first time. So far, critics have examined three never-before-seen novels, eight novellas, and more than two dozen short stories—all of which appear to be Terminator fan fiction.

"But make no mistake," said Salinger expert Professor Duane Hartworth of nearby Dartmouth College, "this is without a doubt the most personal and affecting body of Terminator fan fiction ever discovered."
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

I skimmed that and it had me going for a minute.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

James wrote:The famous recluse and author of The Catcher in the Rye has passed away. Apparently he continued to write for decades without publishing anything after withdrawing from public life, placing his manuscripts in a vault. I wonder if the estate will let anything see the light of day.
Kind of real lfie Finding Forrester.

I never did read The Catcher in the Rye, it was on a school reading list then but we moved and I never had to read it
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

The Catcher in the Rye is absolutely fantastic and the short stories are wonderful too. I think you have to be a bit maladjusted to get JD Salinger but he's probably my favourite author.