President Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

News and other Non-Bond Discussions
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

The Nobel committee notes 'his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples.'
By Mark Silva

October 9, 2009 | 9:02 a.m.

Reporting from Washington - President Obama, who has pledged to place diplomacy ahead of confrontation and reached out to a skeptical world with offers of mutual understanding, was awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace today for what the Nobel committee called "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

"I will accept this award as a call to action, a call to all nations to confront the challenges of the 21st century," Obama said in a White House Rose Garden appearance. "This award must be shared with everyone who strives for justice and dignity."

Professing humility and surprise in the awarding of the prize, the president said, "I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments, but rather as a recognition of American leadership. . . .

"To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who have been honored by this prize," Obama said, suggesting that the prize has not always "been awarded just to honor specific achievements," but also to lend some momentum to the cause of peace.

Obama is only the third sitting U.S. president to win the Nobel Prize for Peace -- President Theodore Roosevelt won the award in 1906, President Woodrow Wilson in 1919.

The president was nominated for the prize after just weeks in office, with the award after less than nine months into the president's term a sign that the Norwegian Nobel Committee is recognizing aspirations for peace over achievements.

The committee hailed the president's creation of "a new climate in international politics."

Ironically, the award arrives at a time when Obama is weighing the recommendation of the U.S. military commander in Afghanistan to deploy tens of thousands of additional troops in a war now 8 years old. At the same time, the president, who campaigned with a promise to withdraw American forces from Iraq, is in the process of drawing down forces there, planning to pull out combat forces by next year and all troops by 2011.

As he left a sun-splashed Rose Garden this morning in celebration of the prize, the president was headed to another in a series of meetings with top-ranking military leaders and national security advisors, as Obama prepares for a long-awaited decision about the way forward in Afghanistan.

"We have to confront the world as we know it today," the president said in the Rose Garden. "I am the commander in chief of a country that is responsible for ending a war and working in another theater to confront a ruthless adversary who directly [threatens] the American people and our allies."

The prize recognizes the voiced objectives of a president who campaigned with promises to reengage the U.S. in world affairs and has personally reached out to erstwhile adversaries.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," Thorbjorn Jagland, chairman of the Nobel committee, said. "In the past year, Obama has been a key person for important initiatives in the U.N. for nuclear disarmament and to set a completely new agenda for the Muslim world and East-West relations."

The committee was endorsing the American president's "appeal that 'Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges,' " he said.

Yet Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele was quick to criticize the president's prize.

"The real question Americans are asking is, 'What has President Obama actually accomplished?' " Steele said in a statement. "It is unfortunate that the president's star power has outshined tireless advocates who have made real achievements working towards peace and human rights."

Accolades flowed from the president's allies.

"I'm delighted at this recognition of President Obama's work to strengthen international cooperation," sad Rep. Howard Berman (D-Valley Village), chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee. "It validates the president's approach to tough transnational challenges such as global warming and the spread of nuclear arms. And it celebrates his steady efforts to improve America's standing around the world."

Obama, who was awakened early this morning with news of the prize, said, "This is not how I expected to wake up this morning. [His daughter] Malia walked in and said, 'Daddy, you won the Nobel Peace Prize and it is [their dog] Bo's birthday, and then [daughter] Sasha added, 'Plus we have a three-day weekend coming up.' It's good to have kids to keep things in perspective."

The Nobel committee had criticized Obama's predecessor, former President George W. Bush, for engaging in largely unilateral military action in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks against the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. With the backing of Congress, Bush quickly invaded Afghanistan and ousted the Taliban, and in spring of 2003 launched a U.S.-led invasion of Iraq intent on removing Saddam Hussein from power.

After awarding the 2002 prize to former President Jimmy Carter, the committee's chairman said it should be considered a "kick in the leg" to the Bush administration's war policies.

More recently, former Vice President Al Gore -- who had challenged Bush for election in 2000 -- won the prize for his work on climate change in 2007.

Since taking office, Obama has reached out to the Muslim world with a speech in Cairo in June appealing for understanding between the West and the rest of the world. He has traveled widely abroad delivering a similar message. And most recently he called on the General Assembly of the United Nations to commit all nations to eventual nuclear disarmament.

Calling for "a new beginning between the United States and Muslims around the world," Obama said in his widely viewed Cairo address that "the cycle of suspicion and discord must end."'

Last month, Obama told the U.N., "Like all of you, my responsibility is to act in the interest of my nation and my people, and I will never apologize for defending those interests. But it is my deeply held belief that in the year 2009 -- more than at any point in human history -- the interests of nations and peoples are shared."

Obama also has committed his administration to renewed attempts to broker a lasting peace between the Israelis and Palestinians, with the president endorsing a "two-state" solution that his predecessor also had supported.

Today, in receiving word of the peace prize, Obama said, "We cannot tolerate a world in which nuclear weapons spread to more nations. . . . We cannot accept the growing threat posed by climate change, which could forever damage the world that we pass on to our children. . . . We can't allow the differences between people to define the way we see one another. . . . We can't accept a world in which more people are denied opportunity and dignity."

Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said, "The exciting and important thing about this prize is that it's given to someone . . . who has the power to contribute to peace."

Nobel Peace Prize laureates Desmond Tutu and Nelson Mandela congratulated Obama on receiving the prize. And Zimbabwean Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, who was favored by some to win the prize, said Obama deserves it.

Tutu, retired Anglican archbishop for Cape Town, South Africa, said the award was imaginative and surprising.

"It is wonderful," Tutu told reporters in Cape Town. "He has had a very significant impact. It has changed the temperature and almost everybody feels a little more hopeful about the world," he said. "What wonderful recognition of someone who has already made such an impact on our planet with regards to the Muslim world, nuclear disarmament, climate change and, to some extent, the Middle East. He has reached out to the Arab world, including Iran, and North Korea."

The Mandela Foundation released a statement saying, "We trust that this award will strengthen his commitment, as the leader of the most powerful nation in the world, to continue promoting peace and the eradication of poverty."

The Nobel committee received a record 205 nominations for this year's prize.

In his 1895 will, Alfred Nobel required that the peace prize should go "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations and the abolition or reduction of standing armies and the formation and spreading of peace congresses."

The prize is awarded by a five-member committee elected by the Norwegian parliament. The committee has taken a wide interpretation of Nobel's guidelines, expanding the prize beyond peace mediation to include efforts to combat poverty, disease and climate change.

mdsilva@latimes.com

Times staff writer Robyn Dixon in South Africa contributed this report. Times wire services were used in compiling it.
katied

Re: President Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Post by katied »

Whuuut?That is all. :lol:
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

What? Why? He hasn't done anything.

When I heard about this i thought it was a joke
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

I thought it was a joke too. Even Obama looked a tad sheepish when he had to make a brief speech about this.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

I must have missed it when Worldwide peace spontaneously erupted.
My word did Obama have to work for anything? This is a very unfortunate becasue from here on out he will be held to standard he will not be able to live up to.
CNN International
News that U.S. President Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize has been as polarizing as his embattled healthcare reform plans.
After Obama's win, Spanish newspaper El Pais published a cartoon showing the president as a black peace dove.

Minutes after the news broke, social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook were flooded with comments.

Half of the trending topics on microblogging site Twitter were about the prize and the U.S. President.

Opinion was largely divided on Twitter between those who think Obama is a worthy recipient -- and those who question how he won the prize after just eight months in office. Video Watch Internet reaction to news »

Numerous tweeters said President Obama should refuse the prize.

One, jester from London, UK, wrote: "I think he should give it back until he has achieved real world peace."
Obama peace prize win polarizes Web
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
katied

Post by katied »

It's making people like Glen Beck's heads explode :lol:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:It's making people like Glen Beck's heads explode :lol:
Oh well, at least there's an upside to this then :D
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

Oh well, at least there's an upside to this then :D

Absolutely!
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

katied wrote:It's making people like Glen Beck's heads explode :lol:
Hasn't it already? :lol:

Conan O'Brien had nice list of awards Barack won, Oscars and stuff like that
http://politicalhumor.about.com/b/2009/ ... -jokes.htm
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.