The food thread

News and other Non-Bond Discussions
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Re: The food thread

Post by kater23 »

I've got a corned beef brisket in the crockpot as we speak..going to have a belated St. Patrick's Day dinner tomorrow! :cheers: :cheers: :up: :up: 8)
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

kater23 wrote:I've got a corned beef brisket in the crockpot as we speak..going to have a belated St. Patrick's Day dinner tomorrow! :cheers: :cheers: :up: :up: 8)
Do you mean the posh corned beef? It's different from the cheap stuff in tins.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The American meaning of corned beef is different to the British one. Their corned beef is more like pastrami. What we call corned beef, they don't really have.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Yep, posh corned beef...and it was delicious!

I didn't like pastrami as a kid-too spicy for my young palate-and I think I've mentioned before I have always been an adventurous eater-but I love it now.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

People have long known French fries aren’t great for your health-but now a study has linked eating fried potatoes at least twice a week with an increased risk of death.

The study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, looked at potato consumption in 4,400 older people between ages 45 and 79 over the course of eight years. By the end of the study, 236 people had died.

After adjusting for several factors, eating potatoes overall (even a lot of them) did not increase a person’s risk for death. But when researchers looked more closely at the types of potatoes people were eating, they found that eating fried potatoes-including French fries, fried potatoes and hash browns-at least two times per week was linked to a more than doubled risk of death. Eating unfried potatoes, such as potato salad and boiled, baked and mashed potatoes, was not linked to an increased risk of death.
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

bjmdds wrote:People have long known French fries aren’t great for your health-but now a study has linked eating fried potatoes at least twice a week with an increased risk of death.

The study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, looked at potato consumption in 4,400 older people between ages 45 and 79 over the course of eight years. By the end of the study, 236 people had died.

After adjusting for several factors, eating potatoes overall (even a lot of them) did not increase a person’s risk for death. But when researchers looked more closely at the types of potatoes people were eating, they found that eating fried potatoes-including French fries, fried potatoes and hash browns-at least two times per week was linked to a more than doubled risk of death. Eating unfried potatoes, such as potato salad and boiled, baked and mashed potatoes, was not linked to an increased risk of death.
The lesson is don't use lard to cook them in. :cook:
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

I gave up potatoes for Lent and I actually think that was a good thing as I would order an order of fruit salad and I got to where I liked that better than the potatoes-even after Lent was over!The other thing that I've been doing is ordering corn tortillas instead of toast.
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Made a ravioli lasagna for dinner tonight..does what it says on the tin:raviolis layered with spaghetti sauce and cheese.(and in case you're wondering my parents are coming over for dinner.No way would I eat all of that myself!)
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Image I never heard of this. Might make one this weekend. Image [video][/video]
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Been buying ingredients for easy meals at Dollar Tree. Yes,. I won't but eggs, milk, etc. there but I will buy other ingredients(canned food especially) there.And I check the expiration dates.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I read that people in the US do not eat blackcurrants as they were/are banned. I like them - they are very easy to grow. Just stick a branch in a pot of soil.

Bring back Bond!
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

I didn't know they were/are illegal-I could have sworn that I've seen dried blackcurrants in stores here-and British grocery stores here sell Vimto(is it good? )
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me

kater23 wrote:I didn't know they were/are illegal-I could have sworn that I've seen dried blackcurrants in stores here-and British grocery stores here sell Vimto(is it good? )

Vimto is a very nice dink. It is available as a soda or as a non-fizzy drink - you buy the concentrate to mix with water.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I don't think it's illegal, I think blackcurrants are heavily regulated. I don't really remember why, but I did read an article on it. That's why grape is "the purple flavor" in American candy etc. I could find Ribena in international stores when I lived over there, but it was very expensive, something like $8 for a 1-litre bottle, and this was 10 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me

I have been watching people eat army ration packs/MRE on YouTube (there are lots of them). Someone had a Thanksgiving dinner made up of ration pack items:

[video][/video]
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

I was in a very nice Chinese restaurant last night. Someone at the next table was eating this :!: :shock: What the hell is that? What does it resemble? Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

You photographed what the person on the next table was eating?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Update:I was at a Stater Brothers(U.S. grocery store chain)and in their imported foods section they had blackcurrant jam!
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me

kater23 wrote:Update:I was at a Stater Brothers(U.S. grocery store chain)and in their imported foods section they had blackcurrant jam!
You should buy it even if it is expensive. Thst reminds me of the but in the Albert Brooks film Mother where a mother has lots of bizarre cheap food and his son makes him buy some expensive jam.