The food thread

News and other Non-Bond Discussions
katied

The food thread

Post by katied »

I figured since we have a lot of conversations about food around here it'd be a good idea to have a place to talk food-what foods you like,what you're cooking,even recipes if you like! :cheers:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: The food thread

Post by bjmdds »

I just started eating Thai food and like the Pad Se Ew.
katied

Post by katied »

Mmm Thai!

I had Jack in The Box for lunch today.(it was close by and I had several places i wanted to go to in the same area.)
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Had hamburger recall years back.
katied

Post by katied »

I'll probably cook dinner at least once this weekend when I'm at my parents' house.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

To get this thread briefly on-topic (even though it's in the Off-Topic forum):

SCRAMBLED EGGS JAMES BOND

For four individualists:
12 fresh eggs
Salt and pepper
5-6 oz. of fresh butter
chives or fines herbes

Break the eggs into a bowl. Beat thoroughly with a fork and season well. In a small copper (or heavy bottomed saucepan) melt four oz. of the butter. When melted, pour in the eggs and cook over a very low heat, whisking continuously with a small egg whisk.

While the eggs are slightly more moist than you would wish for eating, remove the pan from heat, add the rest of the butter and continue whisking for half a minute, adding at the same time finely chopped chives or fines herbes. Serve on hot buttered toast in individual copper dishes (for appearance only) with pink champagne (Taittinger) and low music.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

Sheperds/cottage pie:

1 pound of ground beef or turkey

1 can of golden mushroom soup

1 can of milk

1 can of fried onions(like what you put on top of green bean casserole)

1 can of peas

1 can of mushrooms

1 can of corn

1 small box of mashed potatoes

Drain the peas, corn and mushrooms.Put into a casserole dish. Add the onions, soup and a can of milk.

Add the meat. Stir.

Top with the mashed potatoes and cook for an hour at 350 degrees. Serve with fresh bread.

This is one of my family's most requested dinners.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

For those who want to cook with some retro '60s spy style, Len Deighton's Action Cookbook has been reissued. Before writing the Harry Palmer novels and early drafts of FRWL's and NSNA's screenplays, Deighton was a chef and a food writer for The Observer, and it's this side of him that's on display here. There's an 8-page extract in PDF form on the Amazon page too, and be sure to check out the customer reviews. It sounds more interesting for its historical context than for its practical use as a recipe book.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

This site has a range of copper dishes for those who want to serve their scrambled eggs James Bond in the correct manner. You'll have to get the pink champagne from elsewhere.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

What is the American dish called Biscuits and Gravy?
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote:What is the American dish called Biscuits and Gravy?
Biscuits are kind of like scones. Gravy in America refers to a thick, usually white sauce. There are different types of gravy but the most common one is sausage gravy, made with bits of sausage meat. It's hard to describe unless you actually eat it.
katied

Post by katied »

Biscuits and gravy are the food of the gods! 8)

Not many places know how to make them properly,there are a few(Denny's, which is a coffee shop chain here in the States) makes passable biscuits and gravy.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:Biscuits and gravy are the food of the gods! 8)

Not many places know how to make them properly,there are a few(Denny's, which is a coffee shop chain here in the States) makes passable biscuits and gravy.
The Sunrise Cafe in Hilton Head Island, SC made the best biscuits and gravy I ever tasted.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Biscuits and gravy sounds revolting, but nicer than grits! :wink:

I became obsessed with biscuits and gravy after watching Slingblade - it was the main character's favourite food. I looked on the internet and found a recipe for biscuits and gravy which included graham crackers (which are digestive biscuits?) and the sauce was made with carnation milk. It's probalby nicer with the scones.
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

Yeah.. biscuits and gravy taste better than they look. On the few occasions I've had them(so delicious, but so bad for you!) I put lots of Tabasco on 'em. I love Tabasco and it's a matter of personal preference(I think it gives the biscuits and gravy a little kick) but I also have been known to douse my omelets or scrambled eggs with the stuff.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I have been drinking "coffee" made from barley. It's quite pleasant. I think you can make fake coffee from ground roasted dandelion roots too.
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

That "coffee" is very popular with Mormons here in the States. There was a big deal made recently because one of the popular brands is not being made anymore. I can see drinking it if you want the taste of coffee but not the caffeine.

Fun fact: During the Civil War,chicory was mixed with coffee when coffee was in short supply. To this day, chicory coffee is still served in a lot of the South, especially in Louisiana. To the uninitiated, it tastes strange, but I love it! 8)
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

A lot worse than chicory was mixed with coffee in the civil war, but yeah the soldiers on the front in all but the most recent wars found some interesting solutions to limited coffee supplies.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
katied

Post by katied »

Speaking of unusual flavors..there's a soda in Peru called Inca Cola. It's sickly sweet, and, according to a local,it probably has a bunch of stuff that's been banned by the FDA. My niece tried it when she was in Peru earlier this year(didn't like it, though.)
katied

Post by katied »

More applicable to the Americans on this board, but has anyone else tried Five Guys Burgers?I went there for the first time yesterday and I was impressed. :up: