Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Moneysaving thread

Post by carl stromberg »

As the economy is collapsing I thought I'd start a thread for moneysaving tips.

I'm a (casual fan, I'm not that mean) fan of the "moneysaving sites". I like sending off for freebies too.

Here is a good one (for UK people I presume!). Free bulbs for the garden:

Click on:

http://www.jparkers.co.uk/Index.cfm?fus ... count.form

Type FR11 in the box, then checkout.
Bring back Bond!
katied

Re: Moneysaving thread

Post by katied »

Good idea for a thread! I try to buy as many " 4 for $5", type things as possible at the grocery store .And pay attention to where I might be able to use my club card(I shop at a store that has such a deal) to save money.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

It's official: Carl is a scrooge. :evil:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Cheeky Captain!

Here is a link for a free pair of scissors:

http://mivodesign.com/freescissors
Bring back Bond!
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I got some good tips from fat wallet.

For awhile Live search had 30% off any "buy now" purchased on Ebay and paid through paypal. It was a cash back rebate deposited in our Paypal account. Worked great. Too bad it is over.
I guess the bad economy hit MS too.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
katied

Post by katied »

The last few times I've been to Bath and Body Works, they've had a lot of their stuff on sale for $5 which is impossible for me to resist :up:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Some Top tips from Viz:

Don't buy expensive 'ribbed' condoms, just buy an ordinary one and slip a handful of frozen peas inside it before you put it on.

SAVE electricity by turning off all the lights in your house and walking around wearing a miner's hat.

SAVE petrol by pushing your car to your destination. Invariably passers-by will think you've broken down and help.

Save money on expensive personalised car number plates by simply changing your name to match your existing plate. - Mr. KVL 741Y,

Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

Save on booze by drinking cold tea instead of whisky. The following morning you can create the effects of a hangover by drinking a thimble full of washing up liquid and banging your head repeatedly on the wall.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Kristatos wrote:Some Top tips from Viz:

Don't buy expensive 'ribbed' condoms, just buy an ordinary one and slip a handful of frozen peas inside it before you put it on.

SAVE electricity by turning off all the lights in your house and walking around wearing a miner's hat.

SAVE petrol by pushing your car to your destination. Invariably passers-by will think you've broken down and help.

Save money on expensive personalised car number plates by simply changing your name to match your existing plate. - Mr. KVL 741Y,

Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

Save on booze by drinking cold tea instead of whisky. The following morning you can create the effects of a hangover by drinking a thimble full of washing up liquid and banging your head repeatedly on the wall.
:lol:
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

My moneysaving triumph at the store this afternoon: I only spent $50 for a week's worth of groceries!
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

katied wrote:My moneysaving triumph at the store this afternoon: I only spent $50 for a week's worth of groceries!
Why not become a freegan:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6933744.stm

No such thing as a free lunch?
By Daniela Relph
BBC News

Freeganism is a lifestyle choice

They eat food they find in bins and are driven by conscience, not financial need. Meet the freegans.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, so the saying goes, but freegans beg to differ.

They only eat food they can scavenge for free from supermarket dustbins. Most is only just past its sell-by date, some is still within it but the packaging has been damaged.

The freegan philosophy of "ethical eating" is a reaction against a wasteful society and a way of highlighting how supermarkets dump tonnes of food every year that is still edible.

Boycott

They argue capitalism and mass production exploit workers, animals and the environment. For the most extreme proponents, freeganism - the name combines free and vegan - is a total boycott of the economic system.

The "urban foragers" do not like to reveal the exact location in which they operate so as not to alert store managers to their after-hours work. In America they call it "dumpster diving" and when the shops shut, that's what they do.

Freegans Paul and Bob operate in a suburb of Manchester and have a network of bins that provided rich pickings.

All food is washed before eating
For them it is a lifestyle choice. They have money and could buy food if they wanted, but as a protest against supermarket waste they choose to live a freegan life.

"There's so much waste it's just unbelievable," says Bob. "While that continues I can't see my freegan lifestyle changing."

On a night out with them, the pair delve deep into their first bin of the night to see what they can salvage. It's a good start - yoghurts, a cauliflower, eggs, mushrooms and some ready meals.

Raiding a second bin they discover it's full of bread, loaf after loaf and many of them still in date. But the haul is nothing compared to their best-ever bin raid a few months ago.

Barbed wire

"We got 75 bottles of beer, 100 frozen chickens and all sorts of things like that," says Paul.

"We found so much food we went out and bought ourselves a big deep freeze and filled it with chickens, meat and all that."

To get from bin raid to bin raid they use a converted post office van. It's where they store all their food and also where they now live - a mobile home in the truest sense.

Not every raid delivers. One major supermarket chain has secured its bins behind fencing and barbed wire, an effective way of keeping the freegans out.

Often food is within its sell-by date
Each item raided from a bin is washed and the packing wiped over with disinfectant. Then it's opened up and cooked even if its past its sell by date. Seafood is banned if not in date but they'll give everything else a try and are rarely ill.

Many supermarkets now give their leftover food to charity and while waste has been cut, a lot of food is still thrown out. So what do they think of freegans?

"As a responsible fresh grocery retailer we cannot condone this behaviour," says a spokesman for Somerfield. "We have reduced our wastage levels by improved processes and by giving our stores the opportunity to markdown products earlier to ensure that they are sold within their use by dates."

But it's not just supermarkets who are to blame. Figures from the Waste Resources Action Programme - which works with businesses and consumers to cut waste - claim households in Britain are among the most wasteful in the world.

Each year 6.7 million tonnes of food is thrown out. Half is perfectly edible and in a lifetime its estimated that each of us wastes up to £24,000 worth of food.

It's figures like these that are the reason Paul and Bob live life the freegan way.
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

I draw the line at freeganing :wink:
CaptainLewis
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye
O.H.M.S.S.
Favorite Movies: Alien & Aliens
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

I remember watching an episode of wife swap with freegan's in it. I felt so sorry for the child: they lived in a caravan, didn't pay taxes and got everything off the NHS, they didn't celebrate his birthday and his deadbeat father refused to work at a recycling job and refused to provide for his family.
katied

Post by katied »

Well I refuse to eat anything that a) has been in the trash first and b) is past its sell-by date so I'm out :wink:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

CaptainLewis wrote:I remember watching an episode of wife swap with freegan's in it. I felt so sorry for the child: they lived in a caravan, didn't pay taxes and got everything off the NHS, they didn't celebrate his birthday and his deadbeat father refused to work at a recycling job and refused to provide for his family.
I saw that programme too! The Freegan man took his beliefs to the extreme, so everything had to be free. He lived in an old camper van in a car park. Was it a religious thing? I'll have to Google it.
Bring back Bond!
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

My free bulbs have arrived. But they seemed to be mostly bulbs that have to be planted in the autumn. :shock:
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

That's too bad :(

Not really moneysaving(I guess it is, in a tangential sort of way since my mom saves money on petrol): My mom bought a new car last week-a Prius. :up:
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

A neat way to save some dough. Netfix streaming video.

We got the kids Xbox(es) for Christmas, well we already had a netflix account with unlimited watch instantly, I never used watch instantly because it was on the PC. Enter the account code for nextfix on the xbox when asked and its off the the races :)
Now I should say you need a xbox gold membership but that wasn't an issue because we already had that for the kids to play online.
The streaming online doesn't always have the best or newest movies but for classic movies like the Marx brothers and muppets and other stuff like Tv show Deadliest Catch season 1-3, Knight rider 1-4, AirWolf 1-3, pink panther cartoons it is pretty good source. We have 300 shows and movies in our line up. No need ot look for a disc or channel surf.

The only down is if the interconnection slows the movie may pause and restart in lesser quality. That hasn't happened to us much recently but then we have a pretty decent connection
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
katied

Post by katied »

I haven't done the watch online thing with Netflix, but for me, paying $20 for Netflix is a good deal,especially since I tend to keep the movies for a while.I like not having to return them by a certain time :up:
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I like the netfilx xbox system, but you can use Tivo and some dvd players apparently. My tivo is too old to be hooked up to netflix. But the Xbox works much better than I ever expected.

I should have mentioned that you will ahve to add movie to your online lsit with the computer, for some reason you can't select movies from the xsbox. Which is a good thing because we put movies we will allow our kids to see and don't have to worry about them finding somthing we didn't authorize
katied

Post by katied »

Both Netflix and TiVo? sweet.My parents have TiVo as part of their digital cable and it's brilliant! :up: