Walmart

News and other Non-Bond Discussions
katied

Walmart

Post by katied »

I'm sure I'll get a lot of "Ugh! I *hate* Walmart!" replies to this post but here goes.

They just opened a Walmart SuperCenter in my neighborhood.It's a Walmart on steroids :lol: which has a grocery store in it.The prices are pretty good on some things, but just average on other things(like milk). They have a huge selection otherwise, and I could spend hours trying to check out the entire store!

True,it's taking away buisness from mom and pop places and from other chains,but the quality of some of the chain gocery stores around here isn't that great. The mom and pops will probably suffer, and that is a shame.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Walmart

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:The prices are pretty good on some things, but just average on other things(like milk).
I don't think the prices of groceries at Walmart are that great. Aldi is much cheaper.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

I live in a area without Aldi's-though I have heard of them and been in one(apparently they are in Europe as well as parts of the States) Vons had Pavillions stores in the late 80's and early 90's. They had a HUGE selection but the prices were just so-so.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:I live in a area without Aldi's-though I have heard of them and been in one(apparently they are in Europe as well as parts of the States) Vons had Pavillions stores in the late 80's and early 90's. They had a HUGE selection but the prices were just so-so.
We lived just across the road from an Aldi in Columbia, SC. The selection is limited (each store only carries 1000 product lines at any given time) as part of the cost-cutting strategy, so there will only be one, maybe two brands of any given product. But the prices were great. A trolley full of groceries that would cost around $100 at Wally World would only cost around $40 there. There are some stores here in Bristol too.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

A bit of digging reveals that Aldi's also owns Trader Joe's here in the States.

I love Trader Joe's(don't think they have any in the UK!) but the quality of the products can vary wildly with the store.However,they do have Charles Shaw wine which is only $2 a bottle. :up: