The food thread

News and other Non-Bond Discussions
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: The food thread

Post by bjmdds »

People who follow a vegetarian lifestyle have around twice as many depressive episodes as those who eat meat, according to the Brazilian Longitudinal Study of Adult Health. The high incidence of depression among vegetarians is not caused by nutrition but possibly by several factors, including the vegetarian social experience; depression itself may increase the likelihood of becoming vegetarian, or both vegetarianism and depression may be associated with guilt through factors involving the meat industry.
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

I do love a good steak. :mrgreen:
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

kater23 wrote:I do love a good steak. :mrgreen:
I'm actually trying to cut down on meat, for various reasons, but I don't think I could ever go fully vegetarian.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Me either...we eat a lot of ground turkey and fish..but once in a while..gotta have a steak..or a burger.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Heavy Metals in Dark Chocolate: CR tested a mix of brands, including smaller ones, such as Alter Eco and Mast, and more familiar ones, like Dove and Ghirardelli. For 23 of the bars, eating just an ounce a day would put an adult over a level that public health authorities and CR’s experts say may be harmful for at least one of those heavy metals. Five of the bars were above those levels for both cadmium and lead. Dark chocolate tends to be higher in heavy metals than milk chocolate, probably because of its higher cacao content. Heavy metals are also in certain other foods, including many that are more nutritious and important to eat as a regular parts of a healthy diet, such as carrots, sweet potatoes, and spinach. :shock:
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

I’ve always read that you would have to eat an industrial amount for it to have any real ill effect.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

CENTENNIAL, Colorado:
Authorities in Colorado say a man was hospitalized after he ate rat poison in his to-go order from a Taco Bell restaurant. Police and the restaurant manager say it happened after the man argued with restaurant workers.

The Taco Bell restaurant is in Centennial, Colorado, and is now the focus of an Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office investigation.

"At this time it's labeled as criminal attempt homicide," said Deputy John Bartmann.

Bartmann said a customer bought food at the restaurant Sunday afternoon. While there, he argued with employees. Hours later, the man called 911 and was hospitalized.
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Taco Bell is garbage to say nothing of harmful to your health..and this confirms it.
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Had plenty of leftovers from Easter dinner-my mom insists everyone take something home with them..and who am I to say no?(especially to deviled eggs!)
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

A new study reveals health concerns about the sugar substitute sucralose so alarming that researchers said people should stop eating it and the government should regulate it more. Sucralose is sold under the brand name Splenda and is also used as an ingredient in packaged foods and beverages.
The findings were published this week in the Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part B. The researchers conducted a series of laboratory experiments exposing human blood cells and gut tissue to sucralose-6-acetate. The findings build on previous research that linked sucralose to gut health problems. The researchers found that sucralose causes DNA to break apart, putting people at risk for disease. They also linked sucralose to leaky gut syndrome, which means the lining of the intestines are worn down and become permeable. Symptoms are a burning sensation, painful digestion, diarrhea, gas, and bloating.......more toxins allowed on the market for years!
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Something new I learned about on YouTube:

Florida bowls. What they are is a bunch of pickled thing(pickles, pickled jalapeños ,pickled eggs, pickled pig’s feet(NO.) pickled sausage(I didn’t know such a thing existed but you could use the little smokies or something similar)pepperoncinis,Crystal hot sauce(or Tabasco),Old Bay seasoning,pepper flakes,juice from the jalapeños,pickles and pepperoncinis.

Chop everything up, mix it together and serve with potato chips or something similar. It can’t be healthy though, with all of the salt.And the spice(if you like it spicy)..let’s just say that pre gaining with Pepto Bismol might be a good idea!:mrgreen:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

kater23 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:00 am Something new I learned about on YouTube:

Florida bowls. What they are is a bunch of pickled thing(pickles, pickled jalapeños ,pickled eggs, pickled pig’s feet(NO.) pickled sausage(I didn’t know such a thing existed but you could use the little smokies or something similar)pepperoncinis,Crystal hot sauce(or Tabasco),Old Bay seasoning,pepper flakes,juice from the jalapeños,pickles and pepperoncinis.

Chop everything up, mix it together and serve with potato chips or something similar. It can’t be healthy though, with all of the salt.And the spice(if you like it spicy)..let’s just say that pre gaining with Pepto Bismol might be a good idea!:mrgreen:
That sounds...disgusting.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Who would eat pickled pigs feet if they had a choice?
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Not that I would make this stuff but there is no amount of money that would get me to eat pickled pig’s feet(and I am NOT a picky eater!)
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

kater23 wrote:Not that I would make this stuff but there is no amount of money that would get me to eat pickled pig’s feet(and I am NOT a picky eater!)
When I lived in the South, pigs' feet were a poverty food. They were what you ate if you couldn't afford pork.

kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Apparently San Diego is getting WaWa stores sometime in the future.Given how many transplants(military and others) we have here it will be nucessful
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

This is why I order chow mein. A lot of the time the rice has been sitting for a while and get crunchy.Gross.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

You also have to be careful reheating leftover rice in the microwave at home. It can cause food poisoning if not reheated for long enough.

kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

As someone who has had BAD food poisoning..I’m a little anal about food safety.Understandably.