Site Admin

A View to a Kill

Post by Goldeneye »

A View to a Kill 1985
Publisher: Domark
Developer: Domark
Platforms: Commodore 64, MSX, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC

Action game

Domark created an action game split into three separate sections, inspired by scenes from the film. The game starts with the famous movie intro sequence of the moving gunsight and Bond shooting towards the camera.

In the first section set in Paris, James Bond commandeers a taxi to follow May Day who has parachuted from the Eiffel Tower. Roadblocks and police cars are out to stop Bond, who can shoot his pistol at them to get them out of the way. The display is in three sections - an overhead map of Paris, a small 3D view from the car's point of view, and a scanner showing May Day's height. James must arrive at the right location to catch her as she lands.

In the second section, James must help Stacey Sutton escape from San Francisco City Hall, which is on fire. Each room is displayed from a side-on perspective. James must collect useful objects to get through the floors of the building, such as keys to open doors and buckets of water to stop the progress of the fire.

In the third and final section, James must collect the code numbers to stop the detonation of Zorin's bomb. Bond runs around the mine, avoiding rockfalls and long drops. Among the objects he can pick up are a grapnel gun (to fire ropes upward which he can climb to safety) and a plank of wood to bridge gaps. May Day is also somewhere in the mine.

A password system lets you play the second or third levels on their own without completing the first.

The music for the Commodore 64 version was written by Antony (Tony) Crowther, and consists of two covers. One is the famous James Bond theme by Monty Norman. The second is the Duran Duran theme for the film.

The game was widely criticized at the time of its release, but Domark would go on to secure the license for further James Bond games based on the new films as they were released, and on the back catalogue.

Adventure game

Mindscape Inc published the text adventure game by Angelsoft Inc for DOS and Apple II computers.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Re: A View to a Kill

Post by The Saint 007 »

Here's a video I found of a fan made A View To A Kill game for Sega CD:

It only consists of made up screen shots, but it's still kind of cool. I would love to play a Bond game that featured Roger Moore, since he's one of my favourites. With a little work, I think some of his Bond films, especially The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker, could be made into some pretty decent Bond games. Third-person perspective would be good, but I actually wouldn't mind a side-scrolling one, like The Duel, because I love 2D platforming games.